android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Off Topic > Random Chat

Old 03-20-2012, 01:46 AM

Default Vaping Discussion (Electronic Cigarettes)

And no, I don't mean those cheap things from mall kiosks or gas stations, I mean the real thing. Vaping. Delicious delicious nectar!

For new people, here is my story:

I have been smoking since I was 11 (I'm serious), and was a PAD smoker since I was 13. My wife needed to quit smoking because of her job (she is a nurse). If she came in smelling of smoke she'd get fired. So, I basically had to quit too. I planned to keep smoking while she wasn't home, and when she was home I was going to toot on an electronic cigarette I had read about online. So, I met up with someone from ECF (Electronic Cigarette Forum) in person and he showed me the ropes. It was so much more than I thought it was! And it tasted good too! So, I headed over to a local vape shop (I am very lucky to have one of these, most cities don't - and if they do they are fake ones that sell cheap scam ones) and they hooked me up with my first ecig: My Saber Touch Vari-Volt.

It was all downhill from here. It tasted so good! The flavors (I became immediately addicted to "Kryptonite", Blackberry Brandy, Skittles, and more) were so plentiful! Before I knew it.. I had accidentally quit smoking! Me! The three pack a day American Spirit smoker! I was a non-smoker!

Slowly but surely my senses have come back. I can taste better, smell better, and even see better! I feel so much better too! I have acute seasonal bronchitis and I didn't get it this spring! This is the single best thing to ever happen to me.

Why am I sharing all of this with you, you ask? Well, you guys helped me. I posted asking for information, and people gave it to me. The least I can do is return the favor by helping at least ONE of you quit smoking. Get into vaping! You won't regret it!

Please feel free to post any questions you have about vaping, any interest you may have in it is appreciated and I will happily walk you through everything (including helping you out on where and how to start! It's cheaper than you think!).

Already a vaper? Post and let us know. Show some pics of your set-up or your stories!

www.totalvapingnetwork.com

Further Reading:
How they work:

E-Juice (or E-Liquid) is made of VG and PG. That stands for Propylene Glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG). Both are FDA approved. Then, nicotine (in varying strengths depending on your needs - even 0 mg is offered for those who just want to taste the deliciousness) is added. This is your basic flavorless juice. Now, flavoring is added. Most commonly, candy and cake flavorings are used. Again, this is also FDA approved. All products in the juice are individually FDA approved. You'll often hear supporters of Big Tobacco make claims that it's not "FDA approved", but they mean the combination is not FDA approved. Neither is broccoli and cauliflower being mixed together, but no one tries to stop it.

Nicotine by itself is not actually "bad for you". It has health benefits! Ultimately, it is as bad for you as caffeine is. If not a little less. It is linked to many health benefits, and Big Tobacco has pointed this out for YEARS to help keep cigarettes legal. Nicotine took a lot of flack for what it was associated with. When separated from all of those deadly chemicals though, it is a perfectly fine thing when consumed in the very moderate portions of e-cigs.

This E-Juice is then applied to an atomizer (in a multitude of ways, I will explain in depth shortly) which then heats the liquid into a vapor. This works in a similar manner (actually, the exact same way) as nebulizers and fog machines. It's effectively just a breathing treatment with nicotine added.

Atomizers, Cartomizers and Cartridges. An atomizer (or atty/addy) is the basic heating component, and many people (myself included) prefer a method known as "direct dripping". This means dripping juice directly onto the atomizer in order to vape. This produces a very clean flavor. Other methods include cartomizers. A cartomizer (or carto) is an atomizer which has been inserted into a tube with filler materials for absorbing the juice. This juice then slowly wicks itself to the atomizer, allowing you to vape longer without having to drip often. A cartridge (or cart) is prefilled with juice and works like a cartomizer, only prefilled.

There is no scientific data to suggest vaping is harmful in any way whatsoever. There is, however, much data to suggest it is healthier than NOT vaping!

Last edited by DietSalem; 03-20-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 AM

I'm currently vaping: Tiger's Blood. Strawberries and white chocolate. Tastes exactly like #winning (and those creamsavers!)

Old 03-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Redneck Moderator

Post some links to a set up like yours. I've tried some e-cigs but they looked nothing like that. Trying to remember the brand...

Of what I've tried I much prefer a good old Marlboro over any of the flavors or strengths included with my kit.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 03-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I loved Marlboro Mediums, till the cancer made me quit. 4 1/2 years later I'm smoke & cancer free. Do I still miss smoking? Yes,... Congrats to those that manage to quit,... Me, I'll still miss the taste of a good cigarette till the day I die.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I loved Marlboro Mediums, till the cancer made me quit. 4 1/2 years later I'm smoke & cancer free. Do I still miss smoking? Yes,... Congrats to those that manage to quit,... Me, I'll still miss the taste of a good cigarette till the day I die.
Well, you are missing smoking but I bet any money you miss the cancer much less. Congrats on your recovery!

Last edited by musichound; 03-27-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Well, you are missing smoking but I bet any money you miss the cancer mush less. Congrats on your recovery!
Thanks,...I really luv living more than smoking.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Camel Filters FTW!
That said, health reasons also made it necessary for me to quit, but unlike TDS, I don't miss it anymore. Hop in a car with someone smoking, it's horrid......and I wouldn't even think of kissing a smoker.

I do congratulate anyone who manages to quit, but on the other hand, I don't criticize those who do still smoke.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoreo View Post
Well I actually do have a question. How much money do you spend "vaping" instead of smoking and: Are there any side effects?
I am a very heavy vaper and vape way more than intended. My PV is around 200 dollars for just the PV, another 40 for the batteries (and I have 100 dollars worth of batteries just to make sure I never run out, I like to have four sets charged at all times and I only use AW brand batteries), each atty I drip on costs about 25 dollars and I vape about 15 ml worth of juice a day on a good day which is about 5 dollars in juice. My glass drip tip was 40 dollars.

All in all, I have spent probably about 1,500 so far on vaping between my wife and I in around 3 months. We've saved just about that much on smoking though. Obviously the start up costs are expensive. Though, you don't have to be as serious about it as I am. Lots of vapers get into it for less than 50 dollars total down payment. Just don't go getting scammed on those cheap analog sized ecigs, get the real deal or you'll never quit.

Side effects? Nope. There are flu-like symptoms to quitting smoking. This has nothing to do with the vaping and it will go away with time. Anyone who quits smoking will feel slight flu-like symptoms. It is not uncommon to get a fever. I did not have any symptoms personally, though.

Vaping is actually GOOD FOR YOU by a technical sense. Everything in it is perfectly good to inhale, PG has positive benefits and so does nicotine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Post some links to a set up like yours. I've tried some e-cigs but they looked nothing like that. Trying to remember the brand...

Of what I've tried I much prefer a good old Marlboro over any of the flavors or strengths included with my kit.
Sir Lawrence is great. He's who makes the Saber Touch that I use. If you want to get started with what I have (Note, it's like getting a Gibson Les Paul as your first guitar. While it's nice and if you've got the money it's totally okay to do it - don't do it if you don't have the money):

Saber Touch VV mod:
http://vapormoon.com/Home_Page.php
And because you won't know what to ask for, just tell Sir Lawrence that DietSalem from TVN sent you and tell him you are new to vaping and you want a VV mod like Salem's.

I "direct drip" on atties, my preferred atties are:
HH357 long barrel: http://www.avidvaper.com/products/HH...-Atomizer.html
I DO NOT suggest these atties to new vapers as you WILL ruin them. They are very expensive and have a learning curve. Please start with cheap 306 atties.
I suggest Ikanvape for 306 and i06 atties as they are both great but more affordable:
http://ikenvape.com/atomizers/

AW IMR batteries, depending on your mod you'll want different sizes:
http://www.lighthound.com/
Do NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN PROTECTED BATTERIES. IF IT DOESN'T SAY AW ON IT, I WON'T USE IT.

A nice glass drip tip is nice, and you can get those on a multitude of websites.

Juices are a bit harder, I get juices at tons of places but I suggest my friend at:
http://www.vixenvapors.com/
for your juices. The daily deal gets you a great great deal, and Dale is a great guy. Just tell him DietSalem sent you.

With that you're basically good to go =)
There are always cheaper routes, if you want I can explain about cheaper alternatives, however you asked what -I- use and I explained =)

Quote:
Well, there is no cancer causing agents or carcinogens in vaping. Vape awy! You can get your smoking fix without any dangers =) You can also do 0mg juices if you don't want nicotine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Camel Filters FTW!
That said, health reasons also made it necessary for me to quit, but unlike TDS, I don't miss it anymore. Hop in a car with someone smoking, it's horrid......and I wouldn't even think of kissing a smoker.

I do congratulate anyone who manages to quit, but on the other hand, I don't criticize those who do still smoke.
I'm right there with ya on the stinkies. Tell them to vape so that your car can smell good! There is no real scent or lasting odor. Just a few seconds per plume of whatever they are vaping. Right now I am vaping a chocolate covered peanut butter cup flavor. Right before that I was vaping blueberry waffle!

Some numbers: Each pack of my cigarettes was about 5.50, and I was a 3 pack a day smoker. Right now I spend maybe 15 bucks a week on atties and about 30 a week on juice at the very most. I spend NO MORE than 40 dollars a week on vaping between my wife and I both total. So, we went from spending about 200 dollars a week on cigarettes to less than 50 a week on vaping - and it tastes better!

Last edited by DietSalem; 04-03-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ciggarettes here in NYC run $11.00 or better a pack, and I smoked 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day. I'm spending the saved money on electronics and hp's, so I couldn't vape if I wanted. Though, I gotta admit, it does sound tempting.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 PM

ive had the a couple different ones of the high end cigarette shaped vape things
the last one i had was really good and nifty too, i dont smoke though besides cigars on occasion, so it would be an extra hobby for me

Old 04-04-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Ciggarettes here in NYC run $11.00 or better a pack, and I smoked 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day. I'm spending the saved money on electronics and hp's, so I couldn't vape if I wanted. Though, I gotta admit, it does sound tempting.
If you change your mind let me know. The stuff is delicious. It's my favorite hobby, lots of our friends do it who are non-smokers (0mg nicotine strength juice). It's seriously the very best thing that ever happened to my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrododorF View Post
ive had the a couple different ones of the high end cigarette shaped vape things
the last one i had was really good and nifty too, i dont smoke though besides cigars on occasion, so it would be an extra hobby for me
There's no real thing as "high end" analog shaped (known as "510") devices. Only ones that are marketed as being high end. It all boils down to those being trash though.

If you liked that, imagine if you had one of the GOOD ones!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:26 PM

meh seems like fake hype to me, the fluid should be the most vital element
the rest should not change the flavor really that much unless they are made of poopsicles or something, which i find unlikly

Old 04-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietSalem View Post
It's seriously the very best thing that ever happened to my life.
How does your wife feel about that?

"I love you, honey, but you're not vaporized juice in my lungs..."

Old 04-05-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrododorF View Post
meh seems like fake hype to me, the fluid should be the most vital element
the rest should not change the flavor really that much unless they are made of poopsicles or something, which i find unlikly
You'd think so wouldn't you? I thought that at first too. The juice is pretty important, yes, as the juice is what determines the flavor. HOWEVER, to put it in music terms you may understand:

Juice is the song. You may LOVE porcupine tree - but does Fear of a Blank Planet sound good playing from a megaphone fourthousand feet away from you? You need a good player, a decent format, decent quality recording, and some decent headphones.

The most important part is probably the atty if I were to be completely honest here. The atty and then the voltage your device is set at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
How does your wife feel about that?

"I love you, honey, but you're not vaporized juice in my lungs..."
Vaping saved my life though, and I wouldn't be able to be here to enjoy her company without it! =)

Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Vaping saved my life though, and I wouldn't be able to be here to enjoy her company without it! =)
To me ^this^ is the most important thing said in this thread,...

Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Tried vaping and I gotta tell you, it has nothing compared to one of these

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkgood View Post
tried vaping and i gotta tell you, it has nothing compared to one of these :d
+1, iirc.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
... iirc ...
sure

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Fair enough, and well saved said.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Tried vaping and I gotta tell you, it has nothing compared to one of these
+2!!!