android
Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM

Default Complete Cowon X7 Disassembly

Well, I just purchased a Cowon X7 from Ebay with a broken touch screen, because there was nothing online about what and where the parts were for repair, I took one for the team and completely disassembled the X7.

I'll be uploading pics soon, the most important info I can give now is the LCD+Digitizer is a Samsung LMS430HF02 LCD, and the digitizer can be found here

http://www.keepingtouch.com/Touch-Sc...tile_p654.html

will be right back with pics later................

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can the hdd be changed to a higher capacity???

Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM

Its a standard zif connection, so I don't see why not, 5mm drive was in the 160GB model Toshiba MK1634GAL. Very easy access to the hard drive after the rear casing comes off, the LCD is another story all together. Sorry about the pics I'll try to have them up tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:33 AM

Pics uploaded:

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t417/CowonX7/

also, I'm trying to recoup some of my loss because of the purchase, I'll be selling individual parts, Logic board, battery, casing, etc..., So please shoot me a PM or email me oakfan1283 @ gmail.com

Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the teardown & info.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM

Thanks for this info, I wish I had found it sooner. I just spent $137.00 to have my screen fixed

Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 PM

I JUST cracked my screen not ten minutes ago... It was a gift from my father and I'd really rather he not find out about it. By whom did you get the screen fixed by? I contacted what I assumed was Cowon's appropriate email address (business2@cowon.com) but should I have contacted someone else?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise_Above12 View Post
I JUST cracked my screen not ten minutes ago... It was a gift from my father and I'd really rather he not find out about it. By whom did you get the screen fixed by? I contacted what I assumed was Cowon's appropriate email address (business2@cowon.com) but should I have contacted someone else?
I contacted Cowon and the whole process took about two weeks. I had to send it to California. Im not even sure they fixed mine ,I think they might have just given me a new one. When I got it back there was a usb cable and charger with it and I did not send them with the unit that was broke. And it was packaged like when I initially bought it

Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 PM

actually you have to go here and submit a ticket

http://support.cowonamerica.com/supportcentral/

Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 AM

Default Cowon disassembly

Hi, can you give us some guidance on how to remove the back lid in order tio change the drive? Where are exactly the screws?

Many thanks!

Giovanni

Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 AM

g_ghirardi the screws are under the four "bumpers" on the corners of the X7, they're just held on with glue, I used a safety pin to take them off. About the hard drive, are you referring to the zif latch on the top of the drive? if so, you just place your finger nail under it and gently raise up. The zif cable should then just slide right out.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 AM

Thanks. Very kind. Then the question goes as to whether a hard disk "home" replacement is possible. The 320 1.8 drive from Toshiba is 0,8 mm high...

Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakfan View Post
g_ghirardi the screws are under the four "bumpers" on the corners of the X7, they're just held on with glue, I used a safety pin to take them off. About the hard drive, are you referring to the zif latch on the top of the drive? if so, you just place your finger nail under it and gently raise up. The zif cable should then just slide right out.
You seem to be saying that the hard disk is connected by a ZIF cable. I know that the Hitachi uses a thicker ZIF cable than the Toshiba and Samsung, so do you know which one will fit?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM

Its the slimmer type zif and it can only fit a 5mm hard drive.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:35 PM

Ok I'll put my experiences here,

I cracked my digitizer and found this thread so ordered a replacement. The replacement procedure was very difficult, I'd say that if you're not very competent with a 0.5mm soldering iron then pay the $100 and get it done by Cowon.
After the replacement, the screen wouldn't calibrate, it turns out the X and Y axis are reversed, in other words the link above is not a direct replacement for my digitizer, maybe they changed it along the way.

The current state of play is that I have figured the correct order that the 4 wires need connecting in and will do this tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

Craig

Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 AM

hi craig thanks for the info, I'm having the same problem, x and y is reversed and I can't calibrate, please let me know what you figure out. (I originally thought my replacement digitizer was defective)

Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 AM

I'm not having much luck, I know how the ribbon needs to connect to the board but I've damaged a pcb pad in the process. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a new screen and digitizer.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:08 PM

I've ordered a new lcd+digitizer for mine so I'll let you know how that goes when it arrives but if you're in a nothing to lose situation then these pics show how I think it needs to be.

Basically the ribbon needs moving one pad to the right then you need to link the fourth pad on the ribbon to the first pad on the board.

The last pic shows this best but in my case the red wire isn't connected because I damaged the first pad.

No guarantees but it did work wired in this order through the breadboard.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EOS 7D IMG_9623-medium.JPG (174.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg EOS 7D IMG_9628-medium.JPG (134.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg EOS 7D IMG_9638-medium.JPG (124.2 KB, 75 views)

Old 07-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the post Craig, I'll try it on mine asap and post results.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM

I had terrible luck too, same thing, lead off of the LCD came off and now it doesn't detect any touch, I have the other 3 wired just fine though.