android
Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Over-Ear Headphones Under $100

I've been searching for the prefect pair of headphones for awhile now, and I can't quite seem to find the perfect one at the price I want. Listed below is my basic criteria. If anyone could recommend any headphones, that would be greatly appreciated.
-I really want detachable cords (preferably just a 3.5mm AUX cable) so I can store them easier and reduce tangles
-I want either over-ear or on-ear type
-I want the best sound I can afford
-I prefer a stylish design, I don't want studio headphones.
-I prefer a plain color, like black or silver
-I will be using the headphones with a SansaClipZip+, My laptop, Cowon Z2, and/or a Cowon J3.
-I WANT SOMETHING VERY DURABLE THAT WILL LAST! I cannot stress this enough. I want headphones that I don't have to baby around and can take a beating.
-I have two pairs in mind, and they both seem to have a reputation for durability. However, they don't meet my criteria in all aspects.

Philips Stretch - (doesn't have detachable cords, debatable sound quality)
V-Moda Crossfade LP - (over my budget; the cheapest new ones I can find are like $120) But I love the travel case, the detachable cables, and the included accessories

I love the V-Modas, but the price is over my budget. I am also somewhat skeptical about the sound quality.

So in conclusion, I am asking for:
1. a cheap place to buy the V-Modas for under $100
2. a review of the sound quality of the Philips Stretch
3. a pair of headphones not mentioned that fits most or all of my criteria

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I own the stretch headphones. After burning them in theY sound good, but not excellent. I got them for under $30 from newegg,...worth it for the decent sq and adequate durability. Otherwise, for excellent and inexpensive sq without a detachable cable, the Cortex CHP-2500 is the way to go.

IMO, YMMV,...

BTW, the V-moda Crossfade will most likely kick the snot out of the stretch hp's, but I doubt it'll best the CHP-2500,...

Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

if you are willing to forgo the removable cable, the Sony V6 is very durable and sounds very neutral. Mine is 24 years old. It is a studio monitor. Stylish headphones usually have poor sound quality. I guess some may say the VModa M80 is the exception, however it is around $170. The VModa Crrossfade is said to have much worse sound quality than the M80. I haven't heard these. Considering that my Sony V6 lasted 24 years, it cost me less than $3 a year to own. If you spend $200 on a very durable headphone and it lasts just 10 years, that is just $20 a year. If it last just 5 years, that is still only $40 a year. I guess you will probably be satisfied with the M80.
The Sennheiser HD25-1 mk2 comes in stylish variations, however those are over $200. The plain boring looking version is under $200 though.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I bought my sennheiser hd25-1 II for $150 on Amazon. The sq is excellent, and I tbh, it's worth the extra cost. The Sony mdr-v6 my older son has, I gave them to him. I hate the boring sq, no bass, and irritating highs.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The V6 has plenty of bass. It is not exaggerated basshead bass though. The bass is in proportion to the other frequencies.

The HD25-1 mk2 is $193 new on Amazon. How did you get it for $150? Was that a special sale? Did you buy a used one?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I bought my hd25-1 II on sale,... I got a really excellent hp for a great price.

As for the mdr-v6, the bass isn't proportional, it's anemic. The higher frequencies are a bit exaggerated, and smother the lows. It's way too sibilant for my taste. It give me a 'eadache.