android
Old 03-16-2012, 04:05 AM

Default Portable Amp for a Zune 80gb

Hey everyone,

New user, just bought a Zune 80gb and i want some awesome sound. I am interested in buying the Sennheiser IE8's and was wondering what amp would work well with this setup?

At the moment i've got the Apple In-earphones and definitely want an improvement. The reason for going for the IE8's is because it's so highly regarded on head-fi, are they worth spending that much on them or does anyone have some other suggestions?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1507 View Post
Hey everyone, new user, just bought a Zune 80gb …
Welcome to abi and congrats on the new zune! Lots of great information on this site, hope you enjoy

Quote:
… I am interested in buying the Sennheiser IE8's and was wondering what amp would work well with this setup?
Save yourself some money and test the IE8s with your new zune to see how you like, if it’s lacking in volume, bass or there’s a system hiss you hear that needs correction then I’d look for an amp. AFAIK they should not need one, you can read “What Can Portable Amps Accomplish?” here.

Quote:
At the moment i've got the Apple In-earphones and definitely want an improvement.
You’ll definitely notice a large improvement with the IE8s over any apple phones and I doubt you need an amp to demonstrate this SQ improvement …

Quote:
The reason for going for the IE8's is because it's so highly regarded on head-fi, are they worth spending that much on them or does anyone have some other suggestions?
I think they and some other high end IEMs are worth the investment but you haven’t stated any information that we need to help you with IEM/headphone recommendations/suggestions, you should read this and give us more information if you are not sure about the IE8s ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Sorry about that, should've looked at the stickies. My bad.

• Price Range: i want value for money, but i don't mind spending money if it's for quality as long as i'm happy with it.
  • Type/Design: IEM
  • Primary location of use: portable, on the go
  • Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: all rounder, something with punchy bass and great mids and highs.
  • Media: Heavy metal, hard rock, post hardcore, punk etc.
  • Source: Zune 80gb.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:33 PM

I'm in love with the Sony EX600 right now so I'm recommending it to everybody, but it might be too bright to some ears.

Triple.fi 10 is still my favorite for metal and most instrumental music, you might want to read about those two.

cheers.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 PM

I’m not familiar with the manufacturers that are currently importing or are available in Australia so I’ll bow out at this point. We have a member, user name copeys that lives there and he should be able to help recommend local online suppliers as I know how importing can drive up costs.

What ever you end up getting, I’d test it for a while before you decide to spend extra on an amp, you very well may not need one and the zune should easily power any IEMs. It sounds like you like bass and the IE8 shouldn’t disappoint you from all the peeps I’ve spoken with and what I’ve read but from what I understand they don't isolate great. I haven’t ever tried them myself but did enjoy the se530s for some time before I upgraded. You should also check the stickies in the headphone forum for some ideas ... good luck

Old 03-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Psst!!! Get a Digizoid ZO to use with the Zune 80. If I had owned a D:ZO when I had my Zune 120 I'd STILL have my Zune 120!!! Now, I have an iPod classic and the Digizoid ZO. I'd prefer the Z:120!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Psst!!! Get a Digizoid ZO to use with the Zune 80. If I had owned a D:ZO when I had my Zune 120 I'd STILL have my Zune 120!!! Now, I have an iPod classic and the Digizoid ZO. I'd prefer the Z:120!!!
There is a Digizoid 2.0 now, is it just an amp or is it more than that?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
There is a Digizoid 2.0 now, is it just an amp or is it more than that?
It's an amp/portable subwoofer. It's friggin' AMAZING!!! It gives the music, straight out of the headphone jack, a boost in the bass. But, it doesn't make the mids or the treble suffer. Here's dfkt's review of the V1: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/06/d...woofer-review/

I own the V1, and I had a scare when I thought it was busted (someone crushed my poor baby!!!). It's working again, but I'm getting myself the V2 soon,...well worth the money IMO.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 PM

In regards to what sort of Amp you would want, I can't really give advice, as I have no experience. However, I can give somewhat limited help on purchasing (where to get it from).

If you're wanting brick and mortar stores, JB Hi-Fi in my experience has good quality gear (especially the larger stores), but there are a few speciality stores in the centre of Sydney (I am assuming other cap cities as well) that have some good stuff. Wouldn't bother with Dick Smith, they are crap and carry next to nothing, but you may get a rare find in there, so it can pay off checking it out.

TBH though, anything you will want will be cheaper to get online. As you have bought your Zune online, I am guessing you are not scared of the big bad internet . America's fallen economy is brilliant for us (no offence), so take advantage of it while you can .

Listen to these guys suggestions though, and see if you can grab one from JB or something - they might be willing to allow you one out of the box if you end up buying one - they are pretty good there.
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 03-19-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
In regards to what sort of Amp you would want, I can't really give advice, as I have no experience. However, I can give somewhat limited help on purchasing (where to get it from).

If you're wanting brick and mortar stores, JB Hi-Fi in my experience has good quality gear (especially the larger stores), but there are a few speciality stores in the centre of Sydney (I am assuming other cap cities as well) that have some good stuff. Wouldn't bother with Dick Smith, they are crap and carry next to nothing, but you may get a rare find in there, so it can pay off checking it out.

TBH though, anything you will want will be cheaper to get online. As you have bought your Zune online, I am guessing you are not scared of the big bad internet . America's fallen economy is brilliant for us (no offence), so take advantage of it while you can .

Listen to these guys suggestions though, and see if you can grab one from JB or something - they might be willing to allow you one out of the box if you end up buying one - they are pretty good there.

thanks for the advice, do you actually know a reputable store that i could purchase the IE8's from being US or AUS? I asked at JB the other day and they only had Klipsch earphones.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
It's an amp/portable subwoofer. It's friggin' AMAZING!!! It gives the music, straight out of the headphone jack, a boost in the bass. But, it doesn't make the mids or the treble suffer. Here's dfkt's review of the V1: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/06/d...woofer-review/

I own the V1, and I had a scare when I thought it was busted (someone crushed my poor baby!!!). It's working again, but I'm getting myself the V2 soon,...well worth the money IMO.

It sounds pretty good, will it work well with any sort of output or just earphones, and does it need to be particular earphones?

thanks.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's said to work with separate external speakers as well,...it should also work with other devices as long as their eq is disabled.

BTW: I think I might get another Zune 120 because of you!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
It's said to work with separate external speakers as well,...it should also work with other devices as long as their eq is disabled.

BTW: I think I might get another Zune 120 because of you!!!
Awesome, haha yeah i really like the Zune. Cannot believe they discontinued it! I used to own an Ipod 160gb until it got stolen and i decided to try something different and i'm glad i did. Hopefully Microsoft decide to bring something back similar to the Zune 80/120gb cause the Zune HD is cool but it's not for me.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
thanks for the advice, do you actually know a reputable store that i could purchase the IE8's from being US or AUS? I asked at JB the other day and they only had Klipsch earphones.
Nah sorry mate. Did you visit a big JB? There are a few small ones around here (2 in one suburb in fact - across the road from each other haha). The big one has sooo much more shit.

Otherwise, if you want to ship it in, leave it to the folks here for a good reliable store!
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 03-19-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
Nah sorry mate. Did you visit a big JB? There are a few small ones around here (2 in one suburb in fact - across the road from each other haha). The big one has sooo much more shit.

Otherwise, if you want to ship it in, leave it to the folks here for a good reliable store!
thanks, na it wasn't a big one.

if anyone can recommend a store to buy from at the best price would be awesome? it's fine if it is a US store i have a shipito account so can post to aus. thanks.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
thanks, na it wasn't a big one.

if anyone can recommend a store to buy from at the best price would be awesome? it's fine if it is a US store ...
Typically here (USA) I just do various "best price" type searches via google. I've found that amazon.com will have the same product from different searches at various prices and sometimes if I get the best price and check again in a few days they even come back with a better price(cash/cookies need to be cleared). When it comes to the ie8s there isn't a great price here AFAIK unless there's a sale as most results show around $399.00. If the price looks too good to be true, be assured the item is most probably fake, so I always stay with reputable dealers that will take returns (i.e. I see the ie8 for $123 at some shady sites).

Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 AM

Best i can find is on amazon for $344. Being that i've never experienced the IE8's, would you recommend that i go for the IE80's for that little bit more cash? I've read that there is minor differences between them, but considering i listen to heavy metal, rock etc. music would it be worth it?