android
Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 AM

Default *Help Needed* Unable to connect to server-Email

I am unable to retrive emails other and the Exchange account on my SGP. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the accounts several times. I have other Android devices and have no issues. I keep getting "UNABLE TO CONNECT TO SERVER" What gives? I have gone over my set ups on other Android devices and I can connect to the internet and like I said connect to my office server. I am having issues with IMAP and POP connections.

Any advice would be appreciated because I didn't find much on the net or this forum on this subject matter.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 AM

In my experience this can be tricky. It took me several tries to get my normal IMAP and POP accounts set up. One tiny bit of the server name or user name wrong and it won't work. Exchange setup is even trickier. Best thing would be to get your IT person from work and have them set it up for you..or at least guide yo through the process. I could spell out everything I just did to get Exchange running...but something would probably be different for you, or your system is Exchange 2007 and mine is 2010, etc. For instance, my server is owa.companyname.com. (owa=outlook web access). Maybe it's different for you?

Another thing, peculiar to our wifi-only devices, is that you cannot get signed on to the server while you are on the network! Your IT person probably won't pick up on this because every device they have had to set up was an iphone, blackberrry or android phone. Which have deata. And the data is, of course, completely separate from the company's wifi. This is a bit odd to understand but essentially what I had to do is get all the correct parameters entered (or write them all down exactly) and then go to a separate wifi network and complete the log on. If you are on your own company's wifi, it will not work. It's very similar to how you log onto exchange from your home computer (if your company allows that). You can log onto the website and get your work email at home. If you try to log on from your WORK computer to your work exchange, you can't. You're on the same network and the whole process with owa is to log on from a separate network.

Wait till you get home on your own wifi and enter all setup parameters, finalize the account setup and I think you'll be happy.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Default I am retarded

I can sync with Exchange and Gmail using the Gmail app. Exchange usually is the trickiest but not here in this case.

My problem is using the email app to sync with POP and IMAP accounts. I can not sync using the email app to Google or Yahoo. My accounts I have with my provider I can not sync either.

I though it my be in my settings like location or wifi or some kind of crap Google came up with. Check to see if I am using a static IP address. I don't have permissions for Google to locate me either Wifi or GPS on my SGP but then again I don't have these permissions on Three over tablets or my Evo. All three tablets connect and my Evo over the same network using the email app.

I can access my email if I go to my providers web page and it I go to Yahoo. What a pain that is. There has to be something in the app itself I have over looking

Old 03-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I can sync with Exchange and Gmail using the Gmail app. Exchange usually is the trickiest but not here in this case.

My problem is using the email app to sync with POP and IMAP accounts. I can not sync using the email app to Google or Yahoo. My accounts I have with my provider I can not sync either.
Do you see the same thing happen on different networks? e.g. The WiFi at work vs. the WiFi at home. Does the same thing happen when your tablets are operating in WiFi mode? The reason why I ask is that the ports required for IMAP/POP3 are sometimes blocked on a corporate network. Less so with your home connection but ISPs do routinely block standard ports for sending messages.

If it is port blocking, most email providers now offer either secure connections or alternate ports you can use. The default mail client can be made to work with the non-standard ports but you'll have to change some things in the manual setup section.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
Do you see the same thing happen on different networks? e.g. The WiFi at work vs. the WiFi at home. Does the same thing happen when your tablets are operating in WiFi mode? The reason why I ask is that the ports required for IMAP/POP3 are sometimes blocked on a corporate network. Less so with your home connection but ISPs do routinely block standard ports for sending messages.

If it is port blocking, most email providers now offer either secure connections or alternate ports you can use. The default mail client can be made to work with the non-standard ports but you'll have to change some things in the manual setup section.
I notice this a home yesterday. I have tried on different networks. To make things clear it is only my Samsung Galaxy Player that is have this issue. My Tablets on all only WiFi as with my SGP. I will check the ISP angle.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I notice this a home yesterday. I have tried on different networks. To make things clear it is only my Samsung Galaxy Player that is have this issue. My Tablets on all only WiFi as with my SGP. I will check the ISP angle.
Hmm, that is a bit puzzling. If email on the other devices work on a given WiFi network, then once the settings are replicated [exactly] on the SGP it should work as well. I suppose as a last resort you could try another email app (like K9 for example) but it shouldn't have to come to that.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Hmm, that is a bit puzzling. If email on the other devices work on a given WiFi network, then once the settings are replicated [exactly] on the SGP it should work as well. I suppose as a last resort you could try another email app (like K9 for example) but it shouldn't have to come to that.

Yeah I noticed the thread. So it is an app when then I will give it a shot.

One thing I did notice is looking at account settings it reads [samsung.imap.mail.yahoo.com] I delete the samsung part to no avail.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
One thing I did notice is looking at account settings it reads [samsung.imap.mail.yahoo.com] I delete the samsung part to no avail.
I failed to note in your earlier posting that you were trying to connect to Yahoo and Gmail. The built-in mail app has an implicit understanding of those account types and as a result it should just work without you having to change anything.

The imap address, although convoluted, is actually legit. For a point of comparison, this is what my working Yahoo mail settings look like in the stock mail app:
Code:
IMAP server: samsung.imap.mail.yahoo.com
port: 993
security: SSL
user name: <yahoo email address>
password: <yahoo password>

SMTP server: samsung.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
port: 465
require sign-in: true
(pretty standard stuff)

Your SGP doesn't have any funky network settings like a VPN does it?

Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 AM

Talking Fixed email on my Galaxy Note

Thanks for this great info... it worked great... no problems now!!!!

Quote:
I failed to note in your earlier posting that you were trying to connect to Yahoo and Gmail. The built-in mail app has an implicit understanding of those account types and as a result it should just work without you having to change anything.

The imap address, although convoluted, is actually legit. For a point of comparison, this is what my working Yahoo mail settings look like in the stock mail app:
Code:
IMAP server: samsung.imap.mail.yahoo.com
port: 993

SMTP server: samsung.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
port: 465
require sign-in: true
(pretty standard stuff)

Your SGP doesn't have any funky network settings like a VPN does it?