android
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Default HTC Evo 3D - local buying and prices?

Recently, I've been very interested in Tablet PCs and Smartphones, and have been wasting serious time trying to grasp the current situation of it. I've looked at the iphones, samsungs (note and galaxies), lg, htc, blackberry, etc.

The phone that strikes my interest the MOST is the HTC Evo 3D. I know the 3D capability is VERY gimmicky. Problem is that it is mostly a cdma SPRINT fone, and I have a 2yr contract w/ at&t which does gsm only (WHYYY??). The amazon prices for the GSM version of evo 3d are relatively stable at new $430-435.00, and used $399.00 without contracts - both of which I find...are prices I am VERY unwilling to pay for a smartphone. However, on my local craiglist, I found a gsm version of the evo 3d for $300.00, and it was only opened for 4 days. Now, I'm not sure how much the seller has used it ever since he opened it 4 days ago, but I still think $300.00 is too much for a "like-new" fone. I haven't haggled with him yet, but what do you all think about an HTC Evo 3D GSM that has been opened for only 4 days and costs $300.00? Do you predict that the evo 3D will very likely be replaced in the near future by much better phones at much cheaper prices? Or do you think I should try to haggle the price down with the seller? Or do you think my money would be much better off saved and spent on the new 1080p resolution tablets coming out this year?? (I am super excited about the ipad3 (even if it's an apple product)/transformer TF700T (or called infinity pad TF700T now)/ideapad k2 (which will supposedly have a dock like the TF700T)/ huawei mediapad fhd, etc.)

I know the lg thrill 4g could easily be a cheaper substitute for the evo 3d, but I must say that I am rather biased against lg phones (because my first phone and my current phone are LGs, and.......). Are there any people out there who've ACTUALLY used the evo 3d OR anyone who has spent a lot of time researching and comparing smartphones to be able to give a good opinion on which ones are currently the best in the market?

***Reading my post, I think some people might get confused with what I'm asking. My main question is "whether or not a GSM version of the HTC EVO 3D that has been unwrapped for 4 days is worth $300.00, considering it's current value in price and specs and longevity in the market." Everything else I would like answered, but are not the main reason for my post. What is the general consensus on what the GSM version HTC Evo 3D mentioned above is worth in dollars? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Wind; 03-04-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: original post could be confusing

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I don't think you can use a European Evo 3D on AT&T with 3G. They're both GSM, but AT&T doesn't use the same frequency bands for 3G as a lot of european carriers so it probably won't work.

Also, why an EVO 3D? The reviews for it weren't great, and the battery life is supposed to be awful.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I don't think you can use a European Evo 3D on AT&T with 3G. They're both GSM, but AT&T doesn't use the same frequency bands for 3G as a lot of european carriers so it probably won't work.

Also, why an EVO 3D? The reviews for it weren't great, and the battery life is supposed to be awful.
haha, that's a good question. Truth is, I chose it because of 1) its 3D capabilities and the screen (being better than the thrill) and 2) I don't know what other smartphones in this category are better for its price. besides, there's a 4000 mAh battery pack replacement for $70 which is more than 2x better than the 1730, and the reviews on youtube were positive. What smartphone would you suggest, quality-wise and etc, over the htc evo 3d? Or would the $300 be better spent on a cowon x7 (the only pmp that I'm interested at the moment for lack of better storage options)? Thanks for responding.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:53 PM

If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I'd probably go ask AT&T about an early upgrade. I don't know what their fees are like, but for a lot of carriers you can upgrade sooner for a couple hundred bucks. How far into your contract are you?

That or just wait out your contract if you're near the 20 month upgrade period anyway. Theres a whole wave of new Ice Cream Sandwich based Android phones coming out over the next few months, so its probably not the best time to spend a lot of money on a phone.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I'd probably go ask AT&T about an early upgrade. I don't know what their fees are like, but for a lot of carriers you can upgrade sooner for a couple hundred bucks. How far into your contract are you?

That or just wait out your contract if you're near the 20 month upgrade period anyway. Theres a whole wave of new Ice Cream Sandwich based Android phones coming out over the next few months, so its probably not the best time to spend a lot of money on a phone.
Well, AT&T doesn't offer htc evo 3d at all, only sprint does, and their phones aren't compatible with AT&T. The htc evo 3d I'm looking to buy is a Canadian one, so it uses gsm, which is what AT&T uses. Regarding my contract, I'm already 6 months into it.

Are there any ICS OS phones with 3d capabilities coming out? Disregarding gimmicky features such as 3D and whatnot, which ICS smartphones are you personally looking out for?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

3D sin't doing all that well,...the tech still SUX!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Regarding my contract, I'm already 6 months into it.
Ok, so you're going to be losing a lot of money either way.

Quote:
Are there any ICS OS phones with 3d capabilities coming out? Disregarding gimmicky features such as 3D and whatnot, which ICS smartphones are you personally looking out for?
No idea about 3D. I would not bother with it. I just bought the Galaxy Nexus and its amazing. Of the upcoming phones, the HTC One series looks very good. The compact size, better camera and next gen 28 nm ARM processor should allow it to generally outclass my galaxy nexus. Of course, having an official google phone is nice too.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Ok, so you're going to be losing a lot of money either way.

No idea about 3D. I would not bother with it. I just bought the Galaxy Nexus and its amazing. Of the upcoming phones, the HTC One series looks very good. The compact size, better camera and next gen 28 nm ARM processor should allow it to generally outclass my galaxy nexus. Of course, having an official google phone is nice too.
I jumped the gun and bought the HTC EVO 3d last night for $260. I have my own thoughts as to whether that was a good decision, based on the price and how it works without problems so far, but what do you (and anyone who cares to share their opinion) think? Is it/was it worth it? Is the evo 3d outdated at this point in time? btw, I know a 3g/4g data plan is very handy, but i find it rather expensive at 20 bucks per month at the minimum, which is a big reason i went for a no-contract smartphone.

Anyways, I really love the screen, and the 3d is quite cool, but I wouldn't mind being without the 3d. However, it seems to me that android 4.0 is faster than and superior to 2.3.4. thanks for mentioning the HTC one series. I looked it up and the HTC one x caught my eye. The HTC one x does indeed sound great, but isn't the 4.7 inch screen and quadcore overkill? At least isn't the 4.7 inch screen obstructively large? Is there a 4.3 inch smartphone with a 1280*720 res screen for 720p body playback? (besides htc rezound and being released this year)

***edit: btw, does anyone see tablets as being better and an overall replacement for smartphones, or can they both be owned by one person without being considered a waste of money?

*** btw, Saratoga, you said in an earlier post that it would probably be best to wait until new and better smartphones come out this year. I've been looking at the HTC Rezound for bit now (after I already bought the evo 3d) and I'm really liking the HD screen on 4.3". I have no intention of switching from AT&T, though, so I can only wait for a similar HD smartphone comes out for AT&T, preferably 4.3". Will the HTC One X and galaxy nexus be my only options (I'm not sure if I can handle even a phone slightly longer and wider than the evo 3d) or are there others coming out with HD screens at smaller sizes?

Last edited by Wind; 03-06-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
The HTC one x does indeed sound great, but isn't the 4.7 inch screen and quadcore overkill? At least isn't the 4.7 inch screen obstructively large?
Assuming you mean the AT&T version, its not quad core.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Assuming you mean the AT&T version, its not quad core.
not quad core...that should save a bit of battery, right? Seeing how Huawei's upcoming ascend D quad should be significantly cheaper than its other competitors (I read somewhere that they should be 15-20% cheaper?), I'm really considering that instead of all the other smartphones. I really like HTC smartphones, though, seeing as my Evo 3D runs so smoothly.

Tags
evo 3d, htc, smartphones