android
Old 02-27-2012, 01:03 PM

Default [How to] Upgrade SGP 5.0 to Android v2.3.6

Disclaimer: This upgrade involves flashing a custom rom onto your Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 and could potentially brick your device rendering it unusable. Upgrade at your own risk. These instructions are for the US version (the one with no physical home button). Please read everything before starting.

This guide is meant to show you how I upgraded my US SGP 5.0 to android 2.3.6. There may be some unnecessary steps because I was trying to decipher what is supposed to be done from reading the XDA-Developers Forum and the instructions there are little vague. This guide is what worked for me but if you want to read their post you can find it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1465144

(Update 4/5/2012): After making this guide I found out that "Part 1: Rooting your player" is completely unnecessary. It won't hurt anything if you do but it's not needed. I will be leaving it in the guide so that it might help anyone who is looking for instruction on how to root. Sorry for not updating this sooner. Also, there is a new android 2.3.6 ROM out that might be better since it is based on an official European Samsung ROM for the Galaxy Player Wifi 5.0. Check it out here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1579774

Note: Credit goes to the xda developers (eng_matt) for making the custom rom. Also thanks go to AnyThingButiPOD forum member "tcat" for posting the original link to custom rom.
BEFORE YOU START, MAKE SURE YOUR PLAYER IS FULLY CHARGED.

Part 1: Rooting your player

Find the latest version of "SuperOneClick" here: http://shortfuse.org/ As of writing the current version is 2.3.3. For your convenience, here is the download link for that version: http://depositfiles.com/files/n0dcxce3t

If you haven't already, download and install the Samsung Kies software, we don't really need the program for anything but we do need the windows device drivers that come with it when you install. You can download Kies here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow.../YP-G70CWY/XAA

Now, on your Samsung Galaxy Player (SGP) go to into the settings. Tap "Application" to enter the applications menu. Make sure to check the box for "unknown sources", Android will probably give some kind of warning so just say yes or okay if it does. Now tap "Development" to enter that menu, check the box for "USB debugging". Tap ok if it gives you a warning message. Now if you have an SD card in your SGP, go back to the main settings menu and tap "SD card and phone storage" and then tap "Unmount SD card". Now return to the home screen.

Now when you downloaded "SuperOneClick" it should be in a zip file. Extract the zip file to a folder, then right click "SuperOneClick.exe" and select "run as administrator". Do not change any of the settings, your screen should look like this:

Plug the SGP into your computer. Windows should tell you that it installing drivers for the device, wait for windows to tell you that it installed the drivers successfully. Note: the drivers will not install if you did not install the Samsung Kies software. If your SGP asks you to go into file transfer mode say no. You should be able to see your home screen on the SGP with a USB icon in the upper left hand corner.

Now look at SuperOneClick, click the big "root" button on the left. Be patient while it roots the device, the process took me about 3 to 4 minutes. After it's done it should pop up a box saying that it's done and ask you if you would like to run a test, say yes. After that's done, you should have something that looks like this:

Now if your SGP is anything like mine, it will seem very slow and laggy right now. Unplug and Restart the SGP and it should be back to normal now. You should also notice the "superuser" app has been installed.

Part 2: Flashing the new ROM

Download the android v2.3.6 custom ROM here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1465144

Make sure you get the one for the US Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0. I used v3 of the rom that is the only one that I know works for sure. For your convenience, here is the link for the US custom ROM v3 but double check everything: http://www.mediafire.com/?3g5g5on6d05xq0d

You should now have a ".rar" file. Unpack it and you should now have a folder with a "Eryigit_Rom_PDA_YP-G70_G70ZCKPA.R.3.0-Defult-USA.tar" file in it. That ".tar" file is what we need for the next part. If you don't have a program that can unpack ".rar" files then go download one such as 7zip.

Find and download the program called Odin3 v1.85. I don't know if that is the latest version or not but that's what I saw other people using. There doesn't seem be to any webpage for this program but I used this download link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...3&d=1304094576

Extract the zip file to a folder and right click on "Odin3 v1.85.exe" and select "run as administrator". Leave the settings alone, your screen should look like this:

For this next part we need to enter the "DOWNLOAD MODE" of your SGP, this is special mode for emergency flashing of firmware. To start, make sure your SGP is turned off and unplugged from your computer. Press and hold the Volume Down button on side of the SGP. While doing that, press and hold the power button to turn on the SGP. When you see the SAMSUNG logo, let go of the power button but keep holding the Volume Down button. In a few seconds when you see the SGP go into "download mode" let go of the volume down button. Your SGP should look like this now:

Now plug your SGP to your computer, Odin3 should detect the player and show its COM port in yellow like so:

Now check the box for "PDA" and click the PDA button to select the ".tar" file we unpacked earlier. Your screen should look like this:

When you're ready, click the start button. Give it few minutes to do its thing. When it's done the SGP should automatically restart and your Odin3 screen should look like this:

Now when your SGP is restarting, it might take a long time so be patient. You should also notice a new boot animation. Once get back up and running you'll notice all your stuff and settings are still there. We need to reset everything back to defaults, that means a complete wipe of the device. Make a list of the apps you have installed so you can go download them again later. Backup stuff you want to keep to your computer or SD card.

Turn off the device and make sure it's not plugged into your computer. Press and hold the Volume UP button. While doing that, press and hold the Power button. When you see the Samsung logo, let go of the power button but keep pressing the Volume UP button. When you see the Recovery mode, let go of the Volume UP button. This menu is called the ClockWorkMod Recovery mode. It is similar to the default android recovery mode but has much more advanced features, this recovery mode was installed as part of the custom rom.

To navigate this menu use the volume up and down buttons to move the selector, use the power button as a "enter" button. As per the instructions on the xda-developer forums, you need to perform these actions:

wipe cache partition ---> OK
Wipe data/factory reset --> OK
advanced - wipe dalvik cache --> OK

Then select reboot from the main menu. Here are some pictures what the menus will look like:

When it reboots, everything should be like the player was brand new. If you get a message asking what action to perform, wait a few seconds for the setup to start. Once you've logged in with your Google account then it might ask you to pick a action. Select the one with the word setup, sorry I don't have any pics of that.

You should be done after that. I'm still trying to figure everything out in this ROM, I'll post any bugs that I find here. If you need more screenshots and more pictures of the process, xda-developer eng_Matt has posted this PDF with a guide on Odin3 flashing: http://www.mediafire.com/?txuix14976yh416

Last edited by sanchezhacker; 04-05-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This guide just may have saved me from what I did yesterday....thanks for sharing!

Old 02-27-2012, 02:57 PM

Cool, may try it this weekend. You say "you'll notice all your stuff and settings are still there" after the rooting and ROMing... why wipe after that? Aren't you supposed to wipe before installing a ROM?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Cool, may try it this weekend. You say "you'll notice all your stuff and settings are still there" after the rooting and ROMing... why wipe after that? Aren't you supposed to wipe before installing a ROM?
When I first started I was under the impression that flashing the new ROM would erase everything, so I was surprised when I booted and saw that my stuff was still there. The guy that made the ROM said to perform the wipe via the clockworkmod recovery after the flash so I did, but there were some forum members on XDA that said they skipped the "wipe everything" step and had no problems. So you might be able to get away with not having to wipe your data, but it may or may not cause problems later.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:33 PM

dont have a 5.0 but props for posting a guide with pictures

Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
In my case, I didn't have that option. Due to a rookie rooting mistake I had made yesterday, I couldn't do anything with my 5.0 besides turn it on and off....so I followed that guide and now my player is usable once again.

I also wondered, when I saw the stuff was still there, if I really needed to wipe it....but given where the player was at yesterday, I figured I'd follow the guide all the way through.

So I don't mind having to go back and re-download some apps......the ones I paid for are still available to me just like before.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 PM

OK.. if it works that way, great! I just though a "factory reset" would send it back to 2.3.5, but probably not on a new ROM. Adding apps back and redoing screens is actually the fun part!

All I care about: Is it faster and does the battery last longer?

Old 02-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
OK.. if it works that way, great! I just though a "factory reset" would send it back to 2.3.5, but probably not on a new ROM. Adding apps back and redoing screens is actually the fun part!

It's too early for me to tell....I only just got it done this afternoon.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Oy vey!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
This guide just may have saved me from what I did yesterday....thanks for sharing!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blcistheking View Post
dont have a 5.0 but props for posting a guide with pictures
Thanks, It looks like there is a SGP 4.0 Android 2.3.6 ROM over on XDA. The flash procedure seem like it's basicly the same. Here's the link if you're interested: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1517194

Quote:

Ah, I should have clarified that even after a factory reset it's still v2.3.6. I haven't noticed that its any faster and I'm not expecting any better battery life but I'll let you know see any improvement.

The battery meter on this new ROM is also much better as it actually gives you a percentage instead of that lame green icon. It also has a new launcher that I've never seen before, looks better than the stock 2.3.5 launcher but not as good as my fav Go Launcher EX.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM

You can still change Launchers on a custom ROM, right? And add Multi-Picture Live wallpaper?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
You can still change Launchers on a custom ROM, right? And add Multi-Picture Live wallpaper?
You can use any Launcher, I'm using Go Launcher EX on the new ROM. I know what Live wallpaper is, but I've never heard of "Multi-Picture Live Wallpaper", if you explain what that is to me I'll be happy to test it.

Also, something cool I already discovered is that the Gmail app for this ROM lets you copy text from emails by press and holding over a word. I don't remember the original letting me do that, maybe it did and just didn't know?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Flashed, did not wipe, works just fine!

Edit: initial impressions are that it seems a bit snappier...

Last edited by steinburger1109; 02-28-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Flashed, did not wipe, works just fine!

Edit: initial impressions are that it seems a bit snappier...
So asides from the new startup animation and launcher, (the differences I noticed right away) you think it's a little quicker too? That's cool.

I like this new launcher, enough so that for now at least, I'm not going to bother installing another one. The home screen is blank except for the Google bar which I have up near the top of the screen, and a single icon at the bottom that says "Applications".....nice and clean!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM

Multi Picture Live lets you put a different image on each screen. I've had it on my Optimus and my SGP5 since day 1. Pretty sure it will work on the ROM if GO does. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezhacker View Post
You can use any Launcher, I'm using Go Launcher EX on the new ROM. I know what Live wallpaper is, but I've never heard of "Multi-Picture Live Wallpaper", if you explain what that is to me I'll be happy to test it.

Also, something cool I already discovered is that the Gmail app for this ROM lets you copy text from emails by press and holding over a word. I don't remember the original letting me do that, maybe it did and just didn't know?

Last edited by tcat; 02-29-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:32 PM

Here's a status update and my opinions of the new ROM:

I haven't really noticed any speed increases and battery life seems the same for me. I let it go on battery as long as I could until it started giving me a low battery warning, but even then it still had 15% battery left. As you can see in the screenshot I didn't use it heavily but I did have the screen set to 75% brightness when during the periods it was on. I also set my wifi to be always turned on even when the screen off. Your results may vary.

The main reason I updated to the new rom was to test if it solved my problem of the SGP not knowing when a cable is plugged in, I am sorry to say that it did not seem to fix that issue.

The new ROM also has a problem using the Google Voice Search app, I think it is missing some files. The developer has acknowledged the issue and provided a download link to a working Google Voice Search app here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=112

There are also some people saying that the restore app function in "Titanium Backup" app isn't working. I haven't tested that personaly but if you use that app then you might want hold off on this ROM.

Overall its pretty much the same as the stock ROM excluding the cosmetic changes. I still excited to see what new versions of the rom come in the future. Perhaps these ROMs will open the door for a Android 4.0 port.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM

Whew...too rich for my blood. I never did finish my last year at MIT.
You guys are animals.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM

"...not knowing when a cable was plugged in..."??? A USB cable? Many USB/charging cables don't work or "register", but the cable that came with it should show USB plugged, and/or "charging". I have 2 cables that work and 3 cables that don't, must have different pin outs.

Doesn't sound like rooting/ROM is worth it to me.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have no issues with either the USB cable that came with the player, or the one from my Nook Simple Touch reader.......both work just fine with my SGP.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Whew...too rich for my blood. I never did finish my last year at MIT.
You guys are animals.
It's actually really simple. Literally a few clicks to download stuff, a few clicks to flash. Then boom, you've got a new ROM!