android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Media > Movies & Television

Old 02-24-2012, 05:31 PM

Default Best 3d effects on blu ray or best 3D movies available

I’m a bit old school and have always watched movies in 2D, but recently purchased a new TV that plays 3D with a blu ray DVD player and I have to say "some scenes are down right impressive." I’ve only seen a few but the one’s I’ve seen blow me away with their “pop” out effects. So I’ve decided to get a few movies with good/great 3D pop out effects and thought it would be nice to start a thread here with a list in this first post that we can update based on member recommendations. Again, these are only 3D movies, for example in "Under the Sea" there's a grouper (they call it a Cod fish) that swims out like 6+ feet (2 meters +) out of your screen, it's really impressive to see ...

Without further ado here’s what I have on my 3D blu ray movie list, I don't have all the titles yet but do have a few.
  • Sammy’s Adventures: The Secret Passage
  • IMAX: Under the Sea 3D (excellent 3D effects, there's a grouper that pops out so far it's past the half way mark between you and the screen)
  • How to Train Your Dragon (I've not seen the 3D version but I'm going on what Yuki told me)
  • IMAX: The Ultimate Wave (in addition I’ve read that most of the Imax 3Ds are good)
  • Despicable Me (I've not seen it yet in 3D)
  • Megamind (little to none 3D pop out effects, it's depth that is added to this 3D)
  • Monsters vs Alien (I've not seen it yet in 3D)

*I have purposely left off “Avatar” as it’s not a movie that I want to own but if others want it on the list, I do not have a problem adding it to the list.

Edit: BTW these things are really expensive IMO so if you hear of good deals feel free to let us know ...
Edit 2: I reordered the list based on what I've seen in the order of best pop out 3D effects

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 03-28-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2012, 07:06 PM

I've read that the 3D effects on The Lion King and Beauty and The Beast are good.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboyer93 View Post
I've read that the 3D effects on The Lion King and Beauty and The Beast are good.
I haven't seen them, do you want me to add them to the list?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:30 AM

http://koolcampus.files.wordpress.co...10/sammy-3.jpg

http://koolcampus.files.wordpress.co...10/sammy-2.jpg

Just got “Sammy’s Adventures: The Secret Passage 3D” the other day, wow very impressive pop out 3D effects in hi-definition animation. This movie made in Belgium showcases marine life in 3D, sure it’s a kid’s movie but with a good 3D TV & 3D blu ray player I would say that at least 75 to 80% of the movie takes place between the screen and where you are sitting, very cool! There’s a scene where a sea snake jumps out and it’s about 1 meter away from you, also many of the characters are within an arms reach of you. If someone stands near the screen and waves their arm in front of the screen it appears the snake is in front of them to the person watching, really stunning 3D effects and fun to see.

Ok the movie itself is a bit hokey as the plot is love or universal love. It’s basically about a sea turtle that hatches in 1959 and spends 50 years traveling the world’s oceans and encounters with humans all while it's being challenged by global warming. Add in the emphasis on pollution and the environment, it can come across as a documentary, although most of the facts are not accurate. But if you like 3D pop out effects, this might be one that you may want to watch.

On a side note the movie in 3D is not available in the USA as the EU is region B but I got mine from China as they use region A and the movie has both English and Cantonese selectable. Although if you have a player where you can change the region, this isn't a problem.

Quote:
Directed by Ben Stassen, this movie features the voice talents of Isabelle Fuhrman, Tim Curry and Melanie Griffith ...