android
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 PM

Default Best earbuds for working out/durability

I'm looking for a pair of earbuds that dont necessarily sound fantastic but i do need them to stay in my ears when jogging and doing other assorted activities. They need to be durable and preferably on the cheaper side (below $50). Any suggestions? When jogging id like to be more like and less like thanks everyone

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a pair of Sony buds with hooks over the ears I got for twenty bucks at Walmart a few years ago and are still kicking (one of the two, at least). My suggestion is just going to a local store and grabbing some athletic ones off the shelf.

If you really wanna grab some specific model, I'd suggest Sennheiser MX-75 or 85

Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 AM

Sennheiser PMX 680. Extremely lightweight and doesn't move at all when jogging, sprinting, jumping, etc. Look no further.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 AM

Got a set of MEElectronics M6 for use when sporting.

I looked at Sennheiser & Sony offerings, but very good reviews and an unbeatable price of $15 USD (Amazon), was too hard to ignore.
IEM | Panasonic HJE900E, Marantz HP101, MEElectronics M6

Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The M6 is a great throw away set of iem's,...I think it would be a good workout set. But, not for jogging or biking outdoors. They prevent you from hearing outside noise too well.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

IEMs don't work well while jogging. Traditional earbuds will fall out of your ears unless they have a hook. So far I have not been impressed with any with a hook, although the Sennheiser MX680 looks like it might be usable, however it is a bit expensive($40).

You might also need to be able to hear what is going on around you. How about a Koss KSC75? The Koss Sportapro is another decent choice under $20. The Sportapro sounds almost exactly the same as the Portapro, but is half the price. Imo the KSC75 or Sportapro at a moderate volume will let you better hear your surroundings than a tradional earbud9and especially much better than an IEM). If you are jogging near traffic, hearing your surroundings is important.

I would rather use the cheap KSC75 or Sportapro for jogging than to splurge on the MX680. The JVC Riptidz is a good cheap IEM($8), however people complain about hearing their feet impact the ground when jogging while using an IEM. It would be good for many other activities when isolation would be appropriate though. It is claimed to be waterproof and sweatproof.

Last edited by JK98; 02-28-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've been fine with my Shure IEMs when exercising, as long as I have the cables go up over my ears and enter my ears from above.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 PM

I've had these SONY in-ears for about 2 years now. I got them for $15 on sale.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...987f1b881een02

I roughed them up. Accidently dropping it in the snow, stepped on it, did everything I usually would not do to earphones and they're still working today. It amazes me how these $15 ear buds last longer than my old $70 ones and my $150.

I got a pair of Monster Tubrines, the build quality "feels" amazing. It didn't even last a year. I took good care of them, in the end it broke the same way all of my earphones broke and it was from the tip of the input jack.

I thought it was the best investment for $15. It doesn't have the BEST SQ. But it's the best you can get for $15.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ndetta View Post
I've had these SONY in-ears for about 2 years now. I got them for $15 on sale.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...987f1b881een02

I roughed them up. Accidently dropping it in the snow, stepped on it, did everything I usually would not do to earphones and they're still working today. It amazes me how these $15 ear buds last longer than my old $70 ones and my $150.

I got a pair of Monster Tubrines, the build quality "feels" amazing. It didn't even last a year. I took good care of them, in the end it broke the same way all of my earphones broke and it was from the tip of the input jack.

I thought it was the best investment for $15. It doesn't have the BEST SQ. But it's the best you can get for $15.
I also bought the Sony EX35 a bit over 2 years ago (for around $11), since some were here talking about how great it is, and that it is better than the Sennheiser CX300. Imo it is nowhere near the quality of the CX300. I recently bought the JVC Riptidz(around $8 on Amazon). Imo the Riptidz sounds much better than the EX35. I guess earphones have progressed quite a bit in 2 years.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I would rather use the cheap KSC75 or Sportapro for jogging
I've used the Koss KSC75 for jogging. They seem to be resilient phones as I've dropped them several times and had them trenched in sweet a lot. Also they have a lifetime warranty (replace them for like $6 with shipping if they ever break no questions asked). Plus, I really like the sound quality for the price.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

They DO have some pretty good sounding Sony behind-the-neck sweat resistant sports style headphones. I used to own a set - I loved those things.

Here's a Google search, so I'm not sure what you'll find: http://www.google.com/search?q=sony+...&client=safari

Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
... My suggestion is just going to a local store and grabbing some athletic ones off the shelf. ...
looking over all the recommendations, I'd have to agree with you. I can't tell you the number of times that I've been tempted to test out some of the deals that I see regarding sports IEM's in numerous B&M stores. As it is, I use all my phones for various activities and I've never had a problem with any of them other than the one's without guides can occasionally fall out.

Edit: Ops I forgot to mention a few I’ve seen in the $8.00 to $15.00 range: JVC, Nike, Sony, Philips, etc…

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 AM

None of the IEMs or earbuds I've used have worked for jogging. They always come out as you bounce around. Your main consideration should be getting them to stay in your ears. I've not tried any made specifically for sports though so those might work.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
None of the IEMs or earbuds I've used have worked for jogging. They always come out as you bounce around. ...
sideways, I was talking about the ones that look like this below but not necessarily JVC. Once in a while I'll see a similar Sony or one of the others on the cheap side. I see them in many non-audio related stores all over town ...

Old 02-29-2012, 11:35 AM

Yeah, those might work. Like I said I've only tried the normal, straight cable kind which have not worked for me when running.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah, those might work. Like I said I've only tried the normal, straight cable kind which have not worked for me when running.
I hear ya, you could always try foam tips without the guides they work for me.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I'm not a jogger (knees and ankles don't allow it), but have you tried putting the wires around the ears sorta like the pictured hooks?

Steve

Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 PM

Yeah I've tried that too and the result was the same. Actually the only thing I've tried that has worked 100 % is having them on under a balaclava. That's perhaps not the best look to be sporting though when hitting those forest trails. People give you funny looks.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
IEMs don't work well while jogging. Traditional earbuds will fall out of your ears unless they have a hook.
???

Back when I was working out by windsprinting on a beach - which is much tougher than jogging for earbud retention - I didn't lose an IEM once.

I'd recommend nice cheap JVCs - the 61s, 50s, or 80s according to taste. Terrific value

Tags
cheap, durable, earbuds, workout