android
Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Default Adding music to a G9

Hi All...I have bought the 80 G9. Need some guidance...thanks.

I put this on Archos fans forum and got no responses so will try here.

Adding music
- I have over 450 CDs ripped to FLAC with lyrics in both LRC (about 1200) and TXT format (both in ANSI, UTF and UTF-8) - 130GB+
- They are organised on my PC C:\content\artist\album
- each album directory has a cover.jpg and artist.jpg

Music questions about the Archos Music Player
- will it pick up the JPEG files ?
- will it pick up the LRC and TXT files ? (all same name as the song file names)
- can it read ANSI, UTF and UTF-8 in the lyrics files ?
- can it show the LRC files "in sync" ?
- does it pick up APEv2 tags ? (all perfect in Foobar2000 - actually found out 90% are Vorbis from ripping with EAC).
- does it support gapless playback ?
- does it support folder mode ?
- does it support USB DAC out of the USB ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You have the tablet. Copy the media to the tablet and see what the on-board app can do with it.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
You have the tablet. Copy the media to the tablet and see what the on-board app can do with it.
I have done exactly that with past devices. My experiences with that are:
- one device permanently bricked (cheap MP3 player from China)
- another device required reflashing the OS (Cowon)
- due to the nature of tagging some experiments suggested 100% that one tagging format would work only for me to discover that not all tags worked and it caused crashes and strange text (both with tags and lyrics, note all perfect in Foobar2000).
- one also caused me headaches because I found out it could only handle JPEGs of an exact certain size!
- cannot see how me testing would work out all these things. Don't want to brick or reflash OSs (further I would have to send it back to the US which would cost me a lot).
- not to mention many hours of testing, copying, deleting and then copying again.

So thanks, I know you meant well and are in fact the only one to answer me.

I will attempt to get official support. Seems like pretty basic usage questions to me since others are asking how to dual boot into different OSs etc on the Archos forum. After all it is advertised to play music and videos.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Liveinthemoment; 02-22-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 AM

Only "Windows media" files can be synced.

Would that not mean no syncing for these ?
- flac
- ogg
- txt
- lrc
- jpeg

If so then adding this to the fact that from the silence to my other very basic questions (which every PMP and MP3 player you can buy provides (eg what lyrics it can play, what types of tagging are OK, how to do album art etc) then I guess I have bought not the right item at all for my purpose.

Should have bought the Cowon X7. Can sync easily with that.

Perhaps my feedback will be useful for others.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveinthemoment View Post
- not to mention many hours of testing, copying, deleting and then copying again.
Now you know why your questions aren't easy to answer: Too many variables.

My experience with Archos is that they are better than everyone else for codec support, but lyrics and tags for the rarer codecs are hit and miss. The ONLY way I've ever gotten a verified answer to such specific questions is to answer them myself through actual experimentation.

Album art, in general, should never be larger than the screen resolution of the device. Always use JPGs and never the progressive format. Saves space, loads quickest, and is less likely to cause the device to choke. "cover.jpg or folder.jpg" work on most devices if the codec doesn't use album tags internally.

So good luck with your quest. It is not an easy quest, and not likely to ever become one thanks to the ever-evolving nature of digital media.

Olley

Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Archos is famous for file & format compatibility,...throw some stuff on and test yours out. Me, I've never had an issue with ANY Archos I've owned,...and I had a few.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:13 PM

Well...I am not interested in "questing" (nor bricking) I guess.

Every other MP3 Player and PMP states what it does and how it works with regards to lyrics, tagging, album art and syncing. This one doesn't that is why there are too many variables - no support.

I accept fully the reality of the situation. It is the way it is. No need to post anymore about it. Some expert has offered to help me on another forum and I could always sell it if I cannot get it to play music. Not a big issue in life is it?

Thanks guys, have a good one. Great forum btw.