android
Old 01-16-2012, 02:15 AM

Default Shure SRH940 + FiiO E7, any good?

Hey all..

Im all new in this field with awsome sound! Up untill a couple a months ago, i was using the supplyed ear plugs for my phone.. Thats about to change

Im thinking about buying the following:

Headphones: Shure SRH940
Amplifier: Fiio E6 or the FiiO E11

Im still going to be using my phone as the scource. So now my question to all you wise guys out there is; will this even do me any good as im playing from my phone? And is this the best option in the price range?

I have been looking at a bit of reviews out there, but it gets very confusing, as i dont know any fancy expression, so i kinda need some help
And oh yeah, the music im listening to is mostly like Maroon 5, Michael Jackson, Eminem, volbeat and so on!

Thanks in advance all

Jakob

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 AM

I own both the SRH940 and the E7. They pair well together since the E7 has low output impedance and the SRH940 has an impedance of just 40 ohms. You will not hear much (or any) of an improvement over the headphone-out of your phone with the E7. The E7's appeal is really mostly as a DAC/AMP for use with a laptop, as far as I can see. It is too bulky to be carried around.

I should also warn you that the SRH940 is a punishing headphone in more than one way. First of all, it is extremely uncomfortable for many people, myself included. Secondly, its sound signature is extremely upper-mid and treble focused, with the bass being just a barely audible, bouncy little hiccup in the background. The detail retrieval, while amazing, gets very fatiguing as well.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 PM

Japed, did you end up testing out this combo? I have the 940s and was looking at the same amp. Curious to hear your impressions.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 AM

I used to own the SRH940 and I cannot recommend it in any way. Bass is less than neutral but the treble and detail is very good. Vocals sounds unrealistic for me. I favour the SRH840 over the SRH940.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violinist View Post
I used to own the SRH940 and I cannot recommend it in any way. Bass is less than neutral but the treble and detail is very good. Vocals sounds unrealistic for me. I favour the SRH840 over the SRH940.
Which is why it's so important to listen to headphones before you buy them.

I'm completely in love with my 940s and they're the perfect portable solution for me (dt880 250 ohm at home). I personally think that vocals shine on these headphones. Yes, they are treble leaning/bass shy, but if you like that sound signature, then you need to at least give these a listen.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
Which is why it's so important to listen to headphones before you buy them.

I'm completely in love with my 940s and they're the perfect portable solution for me (dt880 250 ohm at home). I personally think that vocals shine on these headphones. Yes, they are treble leaning/bass shy, but if you like that sound signature, then you need to at least give these a listen.
I did own them. In my opinion, not only are they bass shy, they lack bass presence. I'm not a basshead and I prefer uncoloured cans. SRH940 just happens to not be the one thing I'm expecting it to be: uncoloured and flat.

Good on ya mate. Happy listening!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violinist View Post
I did own them. In my opinion, not only are they bass shy, they lack bass presence. I'm not a basshead and I prefer uncoloured cans. SRH940 just happens to not be the one thing I'm expecting it to be: uncoloured and flat.

Good on ya mate. Happy listening!
Oh, I know that you owned them. I was referring to other people wanting to read up on the 940s. Everyone hears things differently and people often end up disappointed when they go solely off the opnion of people on message boards.

For instance, Tyll over at innerfidelity posted that he doesn't like the 940s at all and far prefers the 840s. Guttenberg, on the other hand, thought the 940s were pretty awesome.

I'm just encouraging people, in general, to try products before forming an opinion from online message boards. It's not that this is a bad resource, it's just that everyone hears things differently.

As a side note (getting back to the thread title), forgot about the E7 now. The E17 is the new Fiio king if you're looking for this type of product.