Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 AM
Default Advice to a newbie please

Hi all,

Discovered this site a few days ago which is great but still a bit baffled by the enormous choice of players out there.

I'm quite new to mp3 players since I bought my first one about a year ago - a Philips Go Gear Mix 4GB. Since for many years I've been something of a hi fi nut I am a total mp3 sceptic, so was very pleased to discover that my Philips will play WAV and FLAC files. The FLAC files in particular sound fabulous - nearly as good as my hi fi for acoustic music but it struggles a little when playing full electric rock band type stuff. Also, I am listening on very good Sennhesier HD595 over ear headphones which make a big difference too - I hate all those flimsy crappy in ear phones that just sound like total garbage to me (sorry!)

So I got to thinking- is it worth spending a bit more on a better player ? Would it sound better than my lowly Philips player (which you've all probably had a good laugh at by now I expect

I dont want to listen to music whilst going to the gym, running, mountain climbing, skiing , scuba diving or any of that stuff, I just want the best quality sound and I dont want to watch videos on a tiny screen either so..

I've read good and bad reviews of the Sandisk Sansa Clip+ and the Philips RAGA which seem to be good contenders or it worth spending more on something else - but what?

I'd be grateful for any advice you can give! Thanks for reading

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]