android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2012, 04:40 PM

Default New Player: FLAC, large display, robust folder access

I'm looking for a new player. I currently have a Sansa Clip+ that I use all the time. It was a superb $35 investment. When I use it in the car I can't see the display without my reading glasses. My vision is fine except for a focal length somewhere between six and eight feet. :)

I'm looking for a player with a display that uses a large enough font that I can read it without my reading glasses. I can read the display on my car stereo with no problems. I've tried various Rockbox large type themes and haven't been that happy, especially since the themes don't do anything for the menus.

My criteria are:

Large type display, if possible legible in sunlight. Menus must be legible too.

FLAC support. I don't want to bother reencoding my FLAC rips just so I can put them on a player temporarily.

Robust folder support. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20K tracks. Most all of them are haphazardly tagged. I rotate them on my player by folder. I've always organized my music in folders and am perfectly happy with that. I'd rather play a folder than build a playlist.

Sound quality should be good. That probably goes without saying. :)

Not an Apple product. I've had strong feelings about Apple since the late '80s.

A nice to have would be DLNA capability. I'd like to be able to stream music from my computer when I'm working in the yard or am in a room where it's inconvenient to use the audio setup in the living room.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tags
flac, folder support, large type, new player