android
Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 AM

Red face Basic usage ... Rockboxed Player Doesn't Show On My PC

OK, I must be daft. I have a new clip+ that I just Rockboxed. When I connect it to my PC while running Rockbox, it charges the battery over USB, but the player does NOT show up as a drive in Windows Explorer (I'm running XP).

If I connect the player to my PC while it is turned off, then power it on, it boots with the SANSA firmware and my PC recognizes the disk in Explorer. That is fine, and it allows me to add/remove files, but ... I have a 32GB class 4 card in there and I don't have any need for the SANSA fw to rescan the microSDHC card and rebuild it's database - it takes a 1/2 hour. I don't mind if the Rockbox fw rebuilds the database in the background, but it seems wrong that I am waiting out both a Sansa fw db rebuild and a Rockbox fw db rebuild.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way for my XP PC to see the Clip+ while it is running Rockbox?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Administrator

If you're using the release build you need to update to a current build. USB support was added after the release happened.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 AM

Default Build?

I just used whatever came in the RockboxUtility-v1.2.11.zip file that did the easy GUI-based install. Do I run that again and ask it to install the later version? Is it a stable release?

Thanks - sorry if this is basic stuff - I feel a bit like I'm stumbling in the dark here. I only installed Rockbox because the Sansa fw couldn't see all 485 of my albums after it's scan. The Rockbox fw found them all perfectly.

If I rerun the Rockbox utility, do I have to do it while the Clip+ is booted with the SANSA fw, and the USB mode is set to MSC?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Administrator

You'll need to be in MSC mode in the OF. Until you update you won't have a USB connection in Rockbox. The manual says it best. It refers to the differences between the various builds and the best way to install them. You'll need to select either the archived or current build when you reinstall. Those are both from after USB support was enabled.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:13 AM

Default Manual

Thanks for your help. I really must be daft. I thought I read the manual cover-to-cover, and nowhere could I find any information on how to get files on to your Clip+ for use by Rockbox! I couldn't find the information that file additions need to be done with the SANSA fw, and that USB file support within Rockbox is only available in a development version.

I really appreciate your help.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Beside the manual you can also check the AMSv2 status page for more information. AKAIK whenever known issues are addressed they get updated there. There are lot less than there once were. Lack of USB support has been removed as an example.

It's also a good idea to check the 4 week changes page occasionally. I've found changes there I wouldn't have noticed any other way. It's been more than once I thought I was doing something wrong and found a feature had been changed or added by looking there.

I believe the assumption is you'll be using either a current build or the archived one. You'll find almost always when you report a problem the first recommended troubleshooting step is to update to the current build.

Rockbox is in continuous development. I've found that having the current build installed almost always brings the best performance and features. I'll have a copy of the release build around in case a current build breaks something but I'm usually on a relatively current build for it's features and improvements.

Last edited by skip252; 02-08-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: corrected automated installer information

Old 02-20-2012, 10:49 PM

I ran into the same problem as you. My Clip+ rockboxed would not be recognized as usb mass storage.

I downloaded the current build for the Clip+. I powered off my Clip+. Then I pressed the power button while holding the Left key and booted into Sansa firmware. I connected to my PC. Then I extracted the .rockbox folder from the downloaded current build to my Clip+ overwriting the already existing .rockbox.

Then I disconnected and powered off the Clip+. When powered on into Rockbox, I connected it to my PC and saw it recognized as a usb mass storage. A driver was automatically installed and I could transfer music to the Clip+.