android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 02-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Default Visually appealing headphones

Even though I already have headphones, I'm always shopping for new ones. I find myself very attracted to headphones that I think look good. I ended up buying Nixon Troopers at one point, which turned out to be a big mistake, since they have pretty crappy sound quality. As things stand currently, good looking headphones (I find the urbanears to be very attractive) are generally not good sounding. But on this website, everyone seems to dismiss headphones that look good, calling them "fugly" and such. I'm in high school, looking to go into college for some type of design, maybe industrial or product design, so good looking is one of the primary selling points of head phones for me. My question is, why is it that you guys on this website seem to dismiss any headphones that take a risk, or appeal to a bias, to look good? If someone were to marry the concept of good sound with a unique, untraditional design, would you guys like it?

These are just some personal thoughts and I'm trying to gauge reactions, not offend! If you took the time to read all of that, I applaud you. Thanks guys!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If it looks good and sounds just as good I have no problem accepting a particular set of cans. Look at the aiaiai tma-1 (special edition) & the adidas branded Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones. They have style, and the SQ is excellent.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:46 PM

I, for myself also find the Beyerdynamic DT1350, T5P and some of the Audio-Technics offerings quite attractive.

Some of them also have a very good reputation for their SQ.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Look at skullcandy. Everyone loves the look, but only one set is said to actually have good SQ. Most companies go for fashion, ignoring how it will sound. That's why I hate most "good looking" hp's.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

There will be no clear cut answer in this thread. Appearance is subjective as well as SQ, so this is a double edge sword. I suggest to do your own research and draw your own conclusions. As for Skullcandy, IMO the nicest looking ones are the Avator models. They don't sound that bad, but definitely don't sound as good as other cans in their price range.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:27 PM

Alot of headphones that young people find trendy or appealing are usually only worth burning

But I personally don't ever use full sized cans in public and only use IEM's in public,the cans are for home use only and since the IEM's are in my ear when I'm out and about,looks don't matter when they are made for listening IMO lol

Old 02-07-2012, 05:36 PM

There is probably some stereotyping involved. Something along the lines of:

flashy design = poor sound

For me personally, I am just not into bright colors and flashy designs. I prefer a more simple and subtle design. And that is what it really comes down to, personal preference. And I think age might play a factor too. What is stylish in high school is rarely stylish for an adult. (Not a shot at high schoolers, I am only slightly removed from being one myself.)

Old 02-07-2012, 05:49 PM

What's wrong with the mickey mouse with his ears lowered look? I've always rocked full size cans.

Bought a lot of others that had great specs and different looks, and none have panned out, although I've got a low price point, because I beat them up seriously.

Style is the very last thing on my list when it comes to headphones, but I'm older, and don't care about looking cool anymore. Function over form.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 PM

I personally don't go for trendy and flashy designs. However bright colors such as white,light blue,blue,pink,red and etc do appeal to me and I'm more likely to pay more for the brighter colored version of the same headphone instead of the boring black colored one.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 PM

Interesting... I thought Skullcandy's design was generally rejected here. I'm not too into their stuff though. I did forget about AIAIAI, whose designs I think are incredible. Seeing what you guys are saying, I do feel like I overlooked how subjective looks really are, and dependent on age group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
...I suggest to do your own research and draw your own conclusions...
And this thread is my research, to some extent

Last edited by skip252; 02-07-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: posts merged, please edit intead of multiposting

Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 AM

The only Skullcandys I heard anything good about, are the "Uprock", which are said to house a dual-driver system.

That said, I never got over the edge spending any money on them.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballincolin View Post

And this thread is my research, to some extent
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant to do your own audio tests.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
But on this website, everyone seems to dismiss headphones that look good, calling them "fugly" and such. [...] My question is, why is it that you guys on this website seem to dismiss any headphones that take a risk, or appeal to a bias, to look good?
You do realize that this is a highly personal matter of taste and can't really be tackled from a universally acceptable angle? What you might perceive as awesome I might find appalling, and vice versa.

For example, I find the Nixon Troopers should be sold in Toys'R'Us or as a gift with a Happy Meal, not in audio stores...

Quote:
I'm in high school
Then you might not have the same taste in design as, say, the average 30+ demographic.

FWIW, off the top of my head here's my taste, as far as the looks of phones go...

Great looking:
TMA-1
DT770 / T70p / T1 / T5 (especially Manufaktur models)
K141/240
HD650
D5000/D7000
Z1000
ES10
Yuin G1A/G2A
Qualia 010
Higher end metal/wood Grado models

Awful looking:
Most Ultrasone stuff (especially the Edition 10)
HD600
HD800
KSC75
K1000
Q701
Anything with tacky colors or gimmicky ostentatious appearance, i.e. most "fashion phone" brands

Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
But on this website, everyone seems to dismiss headphones that look good, calling them "fugly" and such....My question is, why is it that you guys on this website seem to dismiss any headphones that take a risk, or appeal to a bias, to look good? If someone were to marry the concept of good sound with a unique, untraditional design, would you guys like it?
that's the root of your post really...and its all about personal taste. Most of us here prefer a more subtle look to the headphone regardless of sound. I definitely gauge appearance and sound on separate scales but I don't like the bright colors. Mostly because I am anal about matching and when your headphones are brightly colored they don't match everything...and I don't have the money to get a new set of cans for every shade of tshirt I have. a subtle color scheme matches all. as for hte design, I appreciate non traditional design. I bought a set of JVC HAM750 just because they looked different. anyway, as most have said, its about taste and demographics.

plus if I buy a set I want them to last a while. I would hate to set aside a can because I am tired of the way it looks or it isn't a popular design anymore. That's why I never bought the silver home audio stuff and wish they would stop making everything white. trendy is only trendy for a while, then its dated and played out. classic is classic.

Oh, and the uprock doesn't have dual drivers. its a traditional driver design. there was a misunderstanding about the wording below and a user on head-fi that spread it like wildfire. there is no way there are dual 40mm drivers on each side. its physically impossible given the size of the housing. still supposed to be a decent sounding can for under 20.

Quote:
Skullcandy is proud to announce the Uprock headphone, the newest initiate to its battle-ready line. This musical burn unit brags twin 40mm drivers, tangle-proof flat cables and a mixed-material composition sturdy enough to deal your beats and withstand opposing jerks, drops and hustle without breaking. Don’t mistake the ergonomic design, soft-touch finish, and plush ear pillows for weakness – this headphone thrives on around-the-clock rocking. True to its urban dance-based namesake, Uprock is the ideal tool of engagement for synchronizing music with your daily routine. Plus, you can keep your colors correct without losing your shirt.

the aviator is considered on OK headphone too, but still overpriced.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Thanks IDvsEGO, that cleared it up for me.

Another reason not to try them, then.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

hey, for the $17 price that pops up on amazon I would give them a shot. I have blown more than $17 on worse things...like my ex wife.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
I personally don't go for trendy and flashy designs. …
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Look at skullcandy. Everyone loves the look …
Not me Well in reality I find it strange that I never see peeps wearing them around, even though they’re sold in all the B&M’s here. I see them in sporting stores like surf shops, sports authority and some fishing tackle stores ... On the other hand, I do see loads of dr. dre headphones all around town, almost as much as the white buds, ewww…

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
… As for Skullcandy, IMO the nicest looking ones are the Avator models. They don't sound that bad, but definitely don't sound as good as other cans in their price range.
I tested out a pair of well broken in aviator headphones with my i7 and i9 rig (both amped and not) and I was not impressed. First off they were uncomfortable as compared to other phones in that price range and my HD650s. Their build quality wasn't as good as they may look, they felt cheap to me and I did not like their sound. They certainly were not as good as represented/described by the marketing whore. Honestly can’t remember what was missing in the sound as it’s been a long time now but seriously was not impressed for what they sell for.

IEMs are stealthy so I speak of full size heaphones only. IMHO comfort and sound quality are king on full size headphones. But when it comes to “looks,” it’s purely subjective and up to each individual. That said, I’m glad that everyone does not have my taste of clean lines and basic muted colors which I like. Although you have to admit, there are headphones that go way over the top on colors, bling and “looks.” I really don’t care what others do but if one likes to stand out like a sore thumb why not get one of these

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
… the aviator is considered on OK headphone too, but still overpriced.
Have you tried them?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 02-08-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I have blown more than $17 on worse things...like my ex wife.

For 17€ I can get:

How can one not love them.

(Ba dumm tz)

BTT now. We're not in search of the "what's the worst looking headphone on the market"

Last edited by OlliL; 02-08-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:44 PM

With ostentatious looking headphones, you might fit-in within some crowds.

After all, that's what ostentatious looking headphones are made for.

However, someone who knows slightly more about headphones than the average person would probably think "ignorant fool" when he first see you.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 PM

When it comes to headphones, I like functional, subdued, professional-looking cans the most. I do want them to exude a sense of luxury and class, but not in an ostentatious, overly-colorful and trendy way. In other words, I really like the classic monitor look. My tastes might be affected by the fact that I often work in audio/video studios though.

Some cans I really like in terms of looks:
Sony MDR-ZX700
Beyerdynamic DT-880 PRO (imo better looking than the Premium variant)
Grado PS500
Ultrasone PRO900 (most Ultrasones look tacky but I like this one)
Denon AH-D2000
AIAIAI TMA-1 (looking forward to the studio version)