android
Old 01-02-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Rockbox still possible after 1.03.01h update?

I just wanted to ask if it's possible to install rockbox after having installed the 1.03.01 firmware update, cause rockbox has it's own bootloader and so shouldn't bother which new firmware is on the player.
So i wanted to ask if anybody has already tried or will try.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Insignia Moderator

Heh, yeah I'm wondering the same thing. I just installed that update last night, and 5 minutes later I had wondered if I had just screwed myself rockbox wise...

Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 PM

If you are able to use the mi4code tool to extract a key from the new .rom file, then yes, it will work.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the answer.So i'll just try to install the new firmware.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
If you are able to use the mi4code tool to extract a key from the new .rom file, then yes, it will work.
Zivan, the problem with the new firmware is that the player no longer looks for mi4 or rom files at startup, so it appears they have a new method for loading firmware. I am not familiar enough with rockbox to know, but it seems that ROckbox would need a utility to somehow overwrite the existing firmware versus dropping a new firmware in the root and having the player detect it on startup. Maybe you can provide more insight....

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 01-03-2007, 09:16 AM

How did it go then? would be nice to know. I guess it works.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:17 AM

i havent tried it ..but i am pretty sure it is possible since u are using a dual bootloader. just do wat u did b4 to make the bin file and put is in teh system folder. the bootloader loads rockbox as its default firmware but if u choose teh origional firmware then it loads that..

Old 01-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
Zivan, the problem with the new firmware is that the player no longer looks for mi4 or rom files at startup
What makes you draw this conclusion? Did you analyze the contents of your hidden parition after your upgrade and you didn't find the contents of the mi4 there?

The rom file was never "looked for" at startup.

Quote:
so it appears they have a new method for loading firmware.
But you still (can) upgrade to a new mi4 file the same way, right? Like when using the recovery mode?

Quote:
it seems that ROckbox would need a utility to somehow overwrite the existing firmware versus dropping a new firmware in the root and having the player detect it on startup.
The mi4 is not left in the root and "detected at startup" and it never was (on the Sansa). When you put it there for upgrade, the device moves it and stores it in the hidden partition and then removes it from the visible file system. (the R models do it differently)

Old 01-03-2007, 05:07 PM

I forgot to mention when I was looking at the firmware (the key is in the bootloader), I did see a new "/system/firmware.mi4" or similar string in the new firmware. The *nix command strings won't dump it, so you will have to search with a hex editor to find it.
As Bagder said, there will always be recovery mode.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Badger - I tried putting an old mi4 in every folder I could and it would never detect/move it on startup, even in recovery mode. I am assuming this is why Sandisk states on their site that you cannot downgrade this new firmware once installed. The rom file was required to do this upgrade, so I am assuming it was detected on startup and this no longer happens. I guess what I wanted to say is the mi4 is no longer "moved" no matter where you drop it on the player.

Zivan - there is recovery mode, but putting old firmware files here does nothing. The player starts up and the mi4/rom files remain there untouched.

Any idea on what method they are using now to upgrade/downgrade firmware? Could they be doing this to prevent rockbox type upgrades? I am sure there is a workaround for upgrading.downgrading, but I could not find it using standard procedures.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 PM

This whole situation makes me sad.. HA!

I just want my damn themes back!

Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 PM

Seems kinda strange they'd want to prevent Rockbox from being installed, since I thought Sandisk had given the Rockbox guys a couple of Sansas to help with development...

Old 01-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Insignia Moderator

Exactly what I was thinking.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Zivan - there is recovery mode, but putting old firmware files here does nothing. The player starts up and the mi4/rom files remain there untouched.

Any idea on what method they are using now to upgrade/downgrade firmware? Could they be doing this to prevent rockbox type upgrades? I am sure there is a workaround for upgrading.downgrading, but I could not find it using standard procedures.
Did you use mi4code to extract the key from the new rom and sign the old firmware with the new key? That should do it...
We can always re-write the mi4 data in MSC mode, as it allows raw access to that partition.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:18 AM

thank god i didn't update

Old 01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Did you use mi4code to extract the key from the new rom and sign the old firmware with the new key? That should do it...
We can always re-write the mi4 data in MSC mode, as it allows raw access to that partition.
I knew you rockbox guys would have a solution. I have not tried that, but might if I have some time this week. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Badger - I tried putting an old mi4 in every folder I could and it would never detect/move it on startup, even in recovery mode. I am assuming this is why Sandisk states on their site that you cannot downgrade this new firmware once installed. The rom file was required to do this upgrade, so I am assuming it was detected on startup and this no longer happens.
Yeah, it means they changed something. Do you happen to have that new rom/mi4 set available for us to take a look at somewhere?

Old 01-04-2007, 05:05 PM

Snatched from a thread in the firmware forum: http://www.mydatabus.com/public/ilo2...E200_SKU_H.zip

Old 01-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breez View Post
Snatched from a thread in the firmware forum: http://www.mydatabus.com/public/ilo2...E200_SKU_H.zip
There is also a SKU_G, which is the one I used. H and G have different size mi4 and rom files. Also I am not sure if this matters, but the new version.txt that get's generated has pp5022BF, vs all the other firmwares listed as pp5022AF. Not sure if the AF/BF are part of the firmware description or are a hardware reference.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Rockbox Developer

There's now a new mi4code release available that has the key for the new (1.03.01h) Sansa firmware upgrade built-in and it can decrypt it fine.