android
Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 AM

Default Problem with earphones port

Hi, ive had my 16gb X1050 for around a year or so i guess now partnered along with some sennheiser cx300's

everything has been fine up until yesterday.

I can only seem to get the audio coming through the left earphone now...if i pull the earhone line out alittle bit it will go to both sides,i have tried different earphones and its the same effect,so i know its not the sennheisers..

has anybody else experienced this and know a possible fix?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 AM

Thumb Down

It's not just you! Sony uses a custom 5-pin NC jack that juuuust doesn't line up with the standard TR(R)S headphone plugs. Until you pull it out a wee bit, as you did. When you stick it all the way in, one contact lines up with an insulator on the plug, and that channel "sees" nothing.

Check out my crappy diagram!
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4...ijack4pin2.gif
(from top: iphone, standard 3.5mm, sony X-series, offset standard 3.5mm) (conductors for L and R channel in red)

afaik nobody is making adapters, but you can make your own if you can find a spare 5-pin sony plug. Or you could use a thin rubber washer to shim between the jack and plug. Sony also makes a bluetooth adapter you can buy, which I'm sure is their "official" stance on the issue. But it's not like Sony is paying me to pimp their accessories.

...I mean unless they WANTED to pay me, I'd be cool with that...

...you reading this Sony? Hello??

Old 09-05-2010, 03:37 AM

thanks fore the input...

but isnt it funny that ive been using these earphones for around a year now with no problems? or you mean eventually it gets worn or something?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:25 AM

*shrug* I mean I have the same issue as you, but I never thought of it as a problem. Metal bits and mounts have some "give" within their designed tolerances. They're supposed to. It gives room to subtly bend and shift in response to stress, instead of breaking.

My guess is your particular walkman had all its lucky stars aligned when the robots assembled the wee metal parts to life, so on day 1, pin3 was in this tenuous sweet spot, and it "just worked" when you plugged your standard phones in. But we're talking tolerances of potentially tenths or hundredths of millimeters, within the range engineers design these parts to squirm around in. It's understandably frustrating to deal with your player suddenly "deciding" to be fickle about these things, but from an engineering POV everything is going according to plan. That's my guess, anyway...

But the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Last week you needed to plug it in all the way. Today, less than that. Statistically, at some point you won't need to physically plug it in at all to get music. That totally makes sense if you're a Jedi. YEAH. I SEE THROUGH YOUR DISGUISE

Old 08-31-2011, 04:16 AM

SNAP with the problem
Things have become unusable
Anybody got any solution suggestions?
I cannot get sound through the right earbud for squat

Old 09-04-2011, 09:25 AM

Earphone socket is broken, happened to mine after 1.5 years. I managed to order the replacement earphone jack assembly part and replace it myself. I am paranoid it will happen again...
Have a look up online for the nearest Sony service centre and contact them, or if you're brave enough do it yourself..
SONY part no: A1602784A , cost me AU$11.53 for the part from the local SONY part/repair centre.
Service manual has all the part numbers and how to diagrams of how to take it apart. It can be found here: (you must log in to download it)
http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/...manual-in-pdf/

Last edited by circle; 09-04-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:31 AM

Thanks a bunch
How complicated did you find replacing it yourself?
Would you recommend it?
I'm asking this as I sign up to the thing to download the service manual
It may yet prove 200% more complicated than I can comprehend

Looks fairly complicated
I'll ring up a centre and give them a ring
But thanks a LOT

9 and it'll be delivered by Friday
Wish me luck

Last edited by Slurp; 09-05-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 AM

It is fairly complicated alright, it's just tricky to get the headphone jack assembly to sit in the right place while you screw down the retainer.
The tiny ribbon cable connecting everything are plugged in under flip up clamp things on the board, that was the hardest bit for me to figure out.
If you are having doubts about doing it yourself just get a SONY repair centre to do it for you. Maybe provide them with the service manual in case they hack up your X series..
You'll need a small screwdriver set and tweezers, Draper make a nice one with tweezers included, it's dirt cheap. You'll probably find it easy enough in your local B&Q or hardware store.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 AM

Spot on

Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Damn My sony has the same problem. I was listening to Vivaldi and suddenly the stereo system buzzed and nothing of sound.

So i decided to test it on the pc (stereo sound system) and it worked... so bye bye sony. Ipod come here

Old 09-09-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBach View Post
Damn My sony has the same problem. I was listening to Vivaldi and suddenly the stereo system buzzed and nothing of sound.

So i decided to test it on the pc (stereo sound system) and it worked... so bye bye sony. Ipod come here
Oh it's an easy enough fix really! Maybe it was the Vivaldi that broke it..

Old 09-09-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle View Post
Oh it's an easy enough fix really! Maybe it was the Vivaldi that broke it..
hehe maybe because now it keeps in an endless restart cycle

Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 PM

FIXED IT
Thought it was to be difficult difficult lemons difficult, turned out easy peasy lemon-style

Circle I am eternally in your favour
Well for 55 worth at least

Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurp View Post
FIXED IT
Thought it was to be difficult difficult lemons difficult, turned out easy peasy lemon-style

Circle I am eternally in your favour
Well for 55 worth at least
No problem, just glad to help someone fix their awesome X series.
Why did it cost you so much to fix?
The part was only AU$11 for me..
I am close to replacing the battery on mine soon, I'm only getting approx 12 hrs from it now..

Old 09-29-2011, 02:21 PM

I had the same problem after 2 and a bit years with mine. Sony repair centre were useless. Opened up the unit, silicone glue to shore up the jack socket. Problem solved.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:33 PM

I have same problem. I need to pull my headphone jack a bit up to hear in both channels. Can some one please tell me where to get the part? I am in UK. Also the gut who fixed with silicone glue please tell me more about it.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Ok. I opened it up and the jack was loose. So , I kept paper padding. As soon as I hear this fellow I feel the joy.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Also, someone please point me to battery replacement. BATT1