android
Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 AM

Default Which Sony earbuds to buy?

First a little story that got me to ask you for advice.

I've been a Sony mp3/mp4 user for about five or six years, and everytime after a year or two, the default earbuds supplied with each player(similar to Sony MDR-E 818 LP, same look but black, golden connector...), would be damaged with regular use in the way that i'd loose audio in right/or left earbud. The source of it seems to be in the cable, specificly the circled part on the pic:

http://i44.tinypic.com/19w64y.jpg

Over the months and months of use, seemed like the bending of the cable would afect the wire. I'd get crackled audio in the broken earbud, sometimes clear audio if I'd bend the cable there at specific angle, but that earbud have failed me anyway, leaving me with the other in working ok?!?
Then when the original earbuds would fail, i'd get 818 LP cheap, but they too eventualy fail. Like now, two months or more ago.

Why is this happening with every piece of earbuds? Does it happen to you?
They are designed to be bought over and over, to fail, not to pass the test of time, quality sucks.

Since the last earbuds broke in same manner, i didn't buy new ones (like 818LP cause they were out of stock).
I am now wondering to invest a bit more money in new earbuds, i dunno if they'll fail me the same sometime, but the choice is between the two:

http://www.technomarket.hr/products/...ony-mdr-ed12lp

or

http://www.technomarket.hr/products/...ny-mdr-ex35lpr

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Do you want an in the ear canal earphone(IEM) or a regular earbud? If you want a regular earbud, I suggest you get the Sennheiser MX580. I have the Sony EX35 IEM and am not very impressed with it. If you want an in the ear canal earphone, I suggest you get the JVC Air Cushion IEM or the Panasonic RP-HJE350K. Both are under $20 in the US.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:07 PM

Hi

Purchase a pair of MDR-EX50LP. They sound better than the Sony MDR-EX35 as I had just sold this on ebay UK.

The MDR-EX50LP are good and fairly cheap and give very good sound quality.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Administrator

How do you carry and store your headphones? If yours keep failing at the same spot you'll want to check if there's something about your storage or use habits that would cause consistent failure. Mine stopped dying when I stopped wrapping them around my player and started storing them in a loose 4 finger wrap in a small case or tin.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:04 PM

I do wrap the cables around the player when I'm not using it. The player stays in a small pouch whether I use it or not. Also since the cable is 1.2m, and i wear it hanged on my hip, it bends a bit down, then goes up to my neck and ear as I strech the cable and wear it that way,

I guess I could storage the headphones separately from the mp4. Wraping then over my hand and placing the in box could help. Thx.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 PM

Poslušaj brata Srbina
U tom rangu nemaš ništa bolje od ovih koje si pomenu i probao.
Pogledaj ovu temu http://www.pcberza.rs/forum/topic.ph...rid=16&katid=2

This is on Serbian my native language to my Croatian friend.

I have high recommendation for Sony MDR-E 818 LP on Serbian computer forum considering price level.
Plus for Sony MDR-E 818 LP is that they are old model and they passed test of time. Otherwise sony would stop producting it long time ago.

I suppose that sennheiser are bether but i have omx60 vc which are were good and cx150 which are less good and all of them have cable problem.
Difference was that omx60vc had better sound maybe becouse thay are regular earbud .
If you have some questions you ask me free on private message.
I can still read croatian

Old 01-12-2012, 03:04 PM

Pa da, imam veliko povjerenje u 818LP, jedino šta sam ih izgleda kvario svojim navikama spremanja istih. . U Chipoteke nemaju više di sam uzima. Imaju u Tehnomarketu, ali onome u Osijeku.

Yes Serbian brother , but now a did some searching of sony catalogue, plus looking at prices at ebay. I got excited over SONY MDR-EX85LP, since they are cheap, slightly better then e35 (Drive Units : 13.5mm over 9mm, 16ohm over 13, etc...same noise isolation, diferentiation, lol. ) There must be some trick that they are cheap (the ones i have my eyes on), or not, but in my country they would be way overpriced to earn money. So maybe I'll pass better on ebay.

So I have my eyes on SONY MDR-EX85LP.

I once bought sennheiser with vol. control, but the volume control crapped.. :P

p.s. these could be fake, that's way they're so cheap, as I read on some forum.

Last edited by Lazarus Ledd; 01-12-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
How do you carry and store your headphones? If yours keep failing at the same spot you'll want to check if there's something about your storage or use habits that would cause consistent failure. Mine stopped dying when I stopped wrapping them around my player and started storing them in a loose 4 finger wrap in a small case or tin.

I used to go thought EX-51 & 71's like crazy. I too started storing them in mini Altoid tins with two finger wrap. Instead or replacing them every 6-12 mos. I have still have them after 6 years +.I think now that four finger would work and is better. Figure 8 the wrap when done an place it into the tin would be a little easier I think.

You can still find EX-85's LP out there I purchased them a couple of years ago after I lost the EX-82's identical but short leash. The have great sound for the money and are more comfortable that the EX-90's I own. the 13mm driver instead of the 9mm driver in other phones does make a difference.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 AM

I recommend the Sony MDR-EX310LP. They are excellent quality IEMs with good bass, average mids and good highs. They also have good wide soundstage.

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II