android
Old 01-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default vintage audio?

I am looking to build a 2 channel setup that will be used for playing CD, vinyl, and digital content from my PC. I have always loved the look and feel of vintage audio equipment and was hoping to go that route for this setup. To start with it will be mainly headphone usage but eventually I will do somefloor speakers. Trying to decide if I waant to DIY them or not. For now I am not lookign to go super high end on any of it, it is just casual periodic listening. I don't know a ton about what units are better than others but I know the Marantz, Kyocera, and Yamaha units on ebay caught my eye. I am looking at the $200 range for now. I don't mind some "patina" as long as it works and isnt beat to crap.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Redneck Moderator

Why vintage? I personally use a Marantz NR1402. But if your not going to be doing any surround sound then you should definitely look at an 'Integrated Amp'. The only reason I switched over to an AVR is so I would have an HDMI source selector.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

why vintage? because. I have a modern system for my primary setup. I want something different for this system. Same reason I have a 41 year old car. because. Admitedly,it takes a certain personality to embrace the shortcomings of older products, so I don't ever really bother trying to convince others. plus a lot were still made in japan back then before everything was offloaded to china and smaller countries. I don't put huge stock into that but helps.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Redneck Moderator

I see, I thought it was your first setup. Yeah I see what you mean about vintage things as a hobby, but I myself know nothing about vintage sound equipment.

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Pioneer had some great stuff from the 70's

I used to have one of these with the matching tuner

Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Redneck Moderator

That I can see as desirable, thats more handsome than alot of new stuff today.. or at least better looking than a few years ago, it seems that alot more nice looking units are finally starting to hit the markets.

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Old 01-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

yeah, nice looking pioneer. I will add them to my list. Here is a marantz example...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARANTZ-2285...item2c621ebea2

Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 AM

http://www.audiokarma.org/ is a great place for vintage stereo stuff, best information on the net there and people are super helpful.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 01-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Vintage stero equipment. I guess that's what I own, but that's just cause I'm cheap and haven't replaced any of it.

I'm using a black Yamaha receiver bought in 1993 with my newly purchased TV set. And a pair of Advent speakers from the mid-to-late 70s. Until we bought the TV, it was mostly used with an mp3 player, although a drawer style CD component was attached.

I also have a PROCOM receiver (not exactly name brand) from 1974 or 1975 with another pair of Advent speakers from the mid-to-late 70s. This one has some small problems. I'm scared to open it up, even though I suspect that it probably only needs a decent cleaning. This is only used with an mp3 player, and mostly at Christmas.

If I use an original Sansa Clip (or Zen Stone) with these, does that qualify as using a vintage mp3 player?

Steve

Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 PM

I have to say, I can't relate to the hand operated volume knob any more.

My pal was pioneer all the way.

It was a very trying time in the brushed aluminum to black transition (and back again).

I remember the traveling stereo shows, that we'd go to every year. That pushed me in the kenwood direction, as they always had good closeouts at those sales.

Definitely feel the made in Japan vs. made in China, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc. vibe.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I still have one of these sitting in the garage a Sansui 5000x my first real stereo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANSUI-5000X...-/190584897532

Old 01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And i also still have these speakers

Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

adub...thanks for the reading material.

dgb52...nice stuff.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Wasn't the quality on Japanese stuff pretty aweful back in those days? I mean usually production gets shipped off to a low cost country and to begin with quality is bad while they are training the workforce and getting things set up. Then when the quality gets better the cost of production increases and manufacturing gets shifted to a lower cost country thus restarting the cycle. The Japan back then was probably equivalent to China today.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
yeah, nice looking pioneer. I will add them to my list. Here is a marantz example...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARANTZ-2285...item2c621ebea2
Very nice 2285B in your link, I have the 2265B as my only system same as one below, but this isn't my picture.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Wasn't the quality on Japanese stuff pretty aweful back in those days? I mean usually production gets shipped off to a low cost country and to begin with quality is bad while they are training the workforce and getting things set up. Then when the quality gets better the cost of production increases and manufacturing gets shifted to a lower cost country thus restarting the cycle. The Japan back then was probably equivalent to China today.
ehh, kind of but not that simple. US production cost were more due to government and union imposed minimums for wages, hours, conditions and benefits. Japan didn't have the same requirements but still made quality products so many manufacturers offloaded there. Its around the same time Japanese cars started making their way here too...for the same reasons. In reality the it is more similar than most people will admit. Japanese made products have started to garner more attention and the manufacturing environment there has started to rise in cost for many of the same factors. Now other countries like china, Taiwan, etc are stepping in and doing what Japan did years ago. The reality is some Chinese stuff is great, some not. For Marantz in particular the late 70s is the sweet spot. It was still a smallish company with products designed here in the US and offloaded to Japan for production. In the 80s Philips bought them and they went to more of a big box company and eventually offloaded to China for even more production savings. Still quality but different.

Walkgood, I love that. So how does it perform for you? What do you use as sources and what headphones/speakers do you use?

Last edited by IDvsEGO; 01-10-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
... Walkgood, I love that. So how does it perform for you? What do you use as sources and what headphones/speakers do you use?
The amp is over 35 years old so some knobs need to be sprayed internally with contact stuff every few years but aside from that it’s still running strong. I originally set it up with Advent speakers that have been reconed twice, but still work fine. Not much high extension on the Advents but a real nice warm sound signature and the highs are enough for me, they get the job done till I could afford better someday.

For sources: BIC turntable, DAPs, lappy and dual Sony tape deck, although I haven’t used the tape deck in years. I did have the WA6 connect to it to drive HD650s at one time but not any longer. The WA6 is now powering my lappy next to bed with the HD650s, more relaxing to use it like this IMHO.

Edit: *correction* actually the WA6 was connected to the Sony CD player below it, forgot to mention the CD player as a source also.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 PM

I'm a user of vintage stereo stuff as well, still using my 1980 Technics setup i picked up real cheap. I also had to use the spray to clean out the pots and such, but it's such a good headphone amp that it's worth the effort. My speakers are also pretty old, 1979 Realistic house speakers, nice and big and loud with clear sound, solid bass.

Thru that system i have my turn table, netbook media library, my PC, and an extra aux out for my phone or other daps. I also have a double tape deck hooked up, but rarely ever use it.

I just like vintage stuff personally, probably because of glowing up with my dad's vintage stereo stuff and vinyl. Also more recently as an attempt to lower my carbon footprint i have started to reuse and reduce a hell of a lot, and buying used stuff really helps with the over manufacturing this retarded world is doing.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

technics...can't believe I left them off my list. Added. I love the Marantz look but I can pick up the pioneer and kyocera stuff cheaper usually.

maybe something like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-Pan...item19cc7d3d84

when it comes time to buy I am going to hit up yard sales, pawn shops and goodwill in my area first, see if I can get a steal from someone that doesnt know what they have.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:10 PM

My dad has an old technics brushed aluminum with wood side panel setup, so nice. I want it some day hehe.