android
Old 01-08-2012, 06:55 AM

Default Community Support for YP-GB70 (Korean Model)

Hi,

I was thinking of getting the Korean YP-GB70 version, but I was concerned about the lack of ENGLISH support from the Samsung website as well as such a small community of owners. So I was wondering ->

1) How many people here own the YP-GB70? (a simple "hi" will do)
2) Have you found the language an issue? (updates, manuals, etc)
3) Has anyone upgraded to Gingerbread? And was it from the Samsung Korea?
4) Can you tell me of any "negatives" to owning the Korean model (and only speaking English?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Hello
1)I own a 32G Korean version YP-GB70 NW.
2)I am french and i much prefer to read technical purpose in english than in any approximative french translation!
3 YES Gb 2.3.6 from middle december; smoothly (and slowly) done through KIES. FW KPG
4°The negative side is the internet support because of the language barrel.
I am sure our Korean colleages they have full local support and help when in trouble, but i have huge difficulty to enter in their forum because they are not in english and dispite Google translate support.
Pos are: the 32Gb size and HDMi output

THANKS for opening this thread, the less we are the most we have to stick together!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:31 PM

I am thinking about getting this. I would imagine that since it has the HDMI output, firmware in the other regions may not be able to work. In any case, I am going for it. Also it helps that I can read Korean (or can ask my wife for translation as well, since Korean is not my first language).

My concern, however, is it might use the Android market in Korea. I haven't used Android much at all so I don't know if there is a difference and if you have the same access to application with Android market in the US.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Hello, I had 2 questions about the Korean model 5.0:
Is HDMI a worldwide standard? A Korean GB70 will connect (and transfer video) perfectly well to a UK or US HDMI television/monitor? Sorry if it is a silly question.
Does the Korean GB70 have the same battery capacity as UK/US models? I read somewhere it is smaller in capacity, but it may have been a misprint.
Thanks.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:59 PM

I got my YP-GB70 today!

Looks good. It was "used" so I'm not sure about the Icons and apps on it. I'd like to "restore" it to new, getting rid of stuff that's not mine. I'm also trying to update the firmware, but it already gave me an error once.

This is my first 'android' unit. Anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM

Default Upgrade

In my view first is to full wipe the device and upgrape the firmware to the latest KPL version. It will not be rooted but factory like and later upgradable with Kies.
http://ts.daumcdn.net/custom/blog/87...y.com/notice/2
Then you spent some time to learn about Android and what you expect from it.

If you want ROOT and you know why you need it:
http://bvlgarian.tistory.com/138

In case you are ready for custom roms you can investigate the very light and quick Rice Rom With Ktensi White Wine Theme Rom Build2.
It is rooted and has no more bloatware.
http://soon-s.tistory.com/m/post/view/id/4

OOther good choice is the GreenROM HD4.0. It is rooted, fully fonctionnal and bug free.
http://greenview.tistory.com/31

I am sure some people will add their experience to that because it is far to be exhaustive.
All that stuff is THANKS to our Korean friends and other.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz33 View Post
Hello, I had 2 questions about the Korean model 5.0:
Is HDMI a worldwide standard? A Korean GB70 will connect (and transfer video) perfectly well to a UK or US HDMI television/monitor? Sorry if it is a silly question.
Does the Korean GB70 have the same battery capacity as UK/US models? I read somewhere it is smaller in capacity, but it may have been a misprint.
Thanks.
I've just bought the HDMI cable, it is standard one 'CANON branded' 'was the best offer here) but i had not time to test it in short time. I have no fear that will not match with my Samsung LCD TV.!!!
The <GB70 Hardware is the same as the INT'll version, so battery size is the same. It last more than 4 days of average use and about or more than 10 hours of video. I checked when it was at 25% level and lasted more than 2 hours before automatic brightness level decrease to 15% and made me stop my test.
In my view it is may be the best size/feature/cost device available now! ncluded GB firmware that is giving all what we can need for perfect use, no need of ICs....
so a very good product!
RGD

Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo93 View Post
In my view first is to full wipe the device and upgrape the firmware to the latest KPL version. It will not be rooted but factory like and later upgradable with Kies.
http://ts.daumcdn.net/custom/blog/87...y.com/notice/2
Then you spent some time to learn about Android and what you expect from it.
Hi lol93. Thanks for your response. I agree, I would like to wipe the device and upgrade.

I download the Gingerbread KPL file from the link you gave me, but I'm not sure what to do with the zip/tar file. Can you let me know what to do next?

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdedo View Post
Hi lol93. Thanks for your response. I agree, I would like to wipe the device and upgrade.

I download the Gingerbread KPL file from the link you gave me, but I'm not sure what to do with the zip/tar file. Can you let me know what to do next?

Thanks!
Follow the common rules for flashing with ODIN:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashing guide (thanks stryfewalker) AND SteveS:

1) Before flashing the kernel, the Samsung USB drivers must be installed. To do this install Samsung Kies Suite (Recommended) or install them manually.
2) Download and install Odin 1.85
3) Download the right kernel/firmware for your player (EU, KOR or USA version)
4) Extract the zip file. Inside there is a tar flashable with ODIN
5) Put your player in DOWNLOAD MODE (With the device powered off press simultaneously Power button, menu button and volume down button until a green android symbol appears)
6) open ODIN and connect your player via usb. ODIN will acknowledge (yellow IDCOM window)
7) in ODIN window select PDA and choose the packet tar you want to flash. (must use the .tar file, do not extract the .tar)
8) Make sure Re-Partition in unselected (OR YOU WILL BRICK THE DEVICE)
9) Press start and wait for the end of the procedure (PASS signal should be given at the end (don't disconnect the device until flashing is complete or you will brick the device)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy your new device
Regards

Tags
firmware, gingerbread, samsung galaxy player, yp-gb70