android
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Default Clip+ or a Zip?

Hi, getting ready to pull the trigger on a clip+ or a zip. I have seen on here the zip is on sale at newegg for 50.00 8g. I do plan on doing a rockbox set up. Are you zip owners enjoying them as much as the clip+ ? Thanks......

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 AM

I have them both and here are my opinions. I got my zip on sale for $30 on amazon during black friday and I saw it on sale the other day on newegg for same price. Check slickdeals from time to time and you will find a deal. I got my clip+ that way for $20 as well by checking slickdeals. I personally prefer the clip zip more. The bigger screen is helpful and it just feels more solid to me. The only thing I'm not too keen on is how tight the fit is with the usb and micro sd card slot compared to the +. Rockbox has fewer themes for the zip right and 2/3 of them I found ugly but i did find cabbie v2 on the rockbox secition for the clip zip here and it works great. Just my 2 cents

Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 AM

This thread might help you decide. I personally have the Clip+ since the Zip is not yet available around here.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you plan to go Rockbox, go for the Zip.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
If you plan to go Rockbox, go for the Zip.
What makes you prefer the CZ in Rockbox? I have them both and don't find Rockbox to be functionally different on either. In fact the availability of some of the larger font themes give the Clip+ an edge in bright light for me right now.

If you use one of those and invert the color scheme you can read it even in direct sunlight. I can't find a setting to invert the colors on the CZ. Maybe I'm missing something?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 AM

I'd go with the Zip just because it's the latest model, aside from that they're both equally good players so it's really up to you ... enjoy it, I know I do

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
What makes you prefer the CZ in Rockbox? I have them both and don't find Rockbox to be functionally different on either. In fact the availability of some of the larger font themes give the Clip+ an edge in bright light for me right now.

If you use one of those and invert the color scheme you can read it even in direct sunlight. I can't find a setting to invert the colors on the CZ. Maybe I'm missing something?
I'm thinking of all the complaints I read in the SanDisk forum about people wanting more track info displayed during playback, like time elapsed, time remaining, track number, etc. And then there is the fact that the playlist thing seems to be broken in the current Zip's original firmware.

All of these things are rectified by the addition of Rockbox, so it makes sense to me that if the OP is planning to go the RB way anyways, why not get the newer player? And the microsd card sitting flush with the player on the Zip, instead of sticking out a little bit like it does on the Clip+, is another factor.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of all the complaints I read in the SanDisk forum about people wanting more track info displayed during playback, like time elapsed, time remaining, track number, etc. And then there is the fact that the playlist thing seems to be broken in the current Zip's original firmware.

All of these things are rectified by the addition of Rockbox, so it makes sense to me that if the OP is planning to go the RB way anyways, why not get the newer player? And the microsd card sitting flush with the player on the Zip, instead of sticking out a little bit like it does on the Clip+, is another factor.
True but that is also the same on the clip+ which has more theme options right now than the zip. If i didn't have either right now I would get the zip for sure because the bigger screen allows more info on screen without scrolling as well as album art which is not nescessary but nice. It's not pretty by any means but nice to have and it's impossilbe on the clip+

Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM

The Clip/Clip+ has a 128x64 screen, the Zip a 96x96 one. The Zip sure is a bit better with lists, but it's really lacking for longer lines - almost everything needs to scroll.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Given I'm not a Rockbox user, right now I prefer the Clip+ over the Clip Zip. Why? Playlists don't work in the Zip's original firmware unless you back down to V01.01.12, and the Zip has hung 3 times on me (may be the firmware V01.01.15) in very limited usage. I don't recall the Clip+ ever hanging on me. Also, the Zip is my first player that uses micro USB. But my wife's eReader also uses micro USB, so I'm buying some micro cables etc on eBay (there's another $5 spent).

On my Clip+, the mini USB is very tight, often difficult to insert or remove. OTOH, the Zip's micro USB is a good fit.

Sound quality? I've barely listened to the ZIP, so no comment. Maybe I'll get around to playing with it this week sometime.

Screen? I don't need the album art, and the display of it on the Zip is poor. (Of course, I also use a Samsung YP-Z5 (from 2006) which displays album art quite nicely.) I like the time being on the screen (my biggest complaint about the Clip+), but I'll miss the timing displays.

What will 69z28rsss prefer? Get 'em both (they're inexpensive anyway) and figure it out for yourself.

Steve

Old 01-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
(there's another $5 spent)

...As for which player is best suited for Rockboxing, I think its a toss-up. Port-wise, they're both in good shape...so it comes down to which physical features you personally value more, 69z28rsss. With the Clip Zip, you get a tiny, low-res screen in color, and with the Clip+, you get a tiny, vertically truncated (but horizontally better-res) duotone one. The Clip Zip also has the capability of capturing RDS info for FM broadcasts, if that matters to you. For displaying text, I prefer the Clip+ myself...but I can't say which set of trade-offs you'd find most palatable.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Physically, I like the fact that the buttons on the Clip+ do not get pressed inadvertently, as with the Clip Zip. But, there is something to be said for having the latest in the line.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Physically, I like the fact that the buttons on the Clip+ do not get pressed inadvertently, as with the Clip Zip. But, there is something to be said for having the latest in the line.
I've never had that problem yet. But I did just think of a new advantage to the zip imo. The headphone jack seems like a tighter fit. I wear it clipped to either my hoodie pocket or on a belt loop. If I get up quickly the clip+ would fall off sometimes which hasn't happened on the zip yet

Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 PM

clip zip or bust

But seriously sansa, what a xxxx name. clip zip. Just call it sansa zip. sansa clip zip. Can't speak it.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontaylor7 View Post
clip zip or bust

But seriously sansa, what a xxxx name. clip zip. Just call it sansa zip. sansa clip zip. Can't speak it.
True enough, not the best choice of names.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontaylor7 View Post
It indicates that it is a member of the Clip family. Would you have preferred Clip 3 or Clip III? Or Clip 2012?

Not that I particularly like the Clip Zip name, but at least it rhymes.

Steve

Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, I don't think Clip III sounds so bad. Now two years from now, will we be getting a Clip Zip+, I wonder?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Actually, I don't think Clip III sounds so bad. Now two years from now, will we be getting a Clip Zip+, I wonder?
As long as they don't do that touch control, it keeps the same size and price point, expansion slot and is rockboxable, who gives a f*** what they call it

Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Samsung Moderator

Next one will be called Sansa Clip Zip HD.

Because HD sounds good for everything nowadays and because by then Sandisk will probably have understood that the Zip display is a shame. It's the shittiest display I have seen for a while. Small size is OK, but poor resolution, colours and contrast is not acceptable in 2011/2012.

And to come back to the topic, that's why I would recommend the Clip+ over the Zip.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
... I would recommend the Clip+ over the Zip.
I would agree but I got to believe if they haven't already stopped production of the "+" model it soon will be.