android
Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Default Playlists + OSX?

Is anyone using OSX and the J3?
I'm having trouble getting my playlists working

DoubleTwist will copy the songs and playlist over but when I open the playlist on the J3 it shows no songs.

Here's the .m3u file doubletwist created.

Code:
#EXTM3U
Eric Clapton\Unplugged\1-04 Tears In Heaven [Clapton, Will Jennings].mp3
Eric Clapton\Unplugged\1-07 Layla [Clapton, Jim Gordon].mp3
Fourplay\Seoul Korea 2011\03 Let's Touch The Sky.mp3
Michael Buble\Call Me Irresponsible\07%20Call%20Me%20Irresponsible.mp3
Diana Krall\The Very Best Of Diana Krall (Deluxe Edition)\01 'S Wonderful.mp3
Frank Sinatra\My Way The Best Of Frank Sinatra\06 06-moon river.mp3
John Williams\Star Wars Trilogy\04 The Imperial March.mp3
Michael Buble\Call Me Irresponsible\09%20Everything.mp3
Michael Buble\Wedding\04%20Put%20your%20head%20on%20my%20shoulder.m4a
Frank Sinatra\My Way The Best Of Frank Sinatra\17 17-come fly with me.mp3
Hikaru Utada\First Love\04 First Love.mp3
How are OSX users getting their playlists on to the J3?

Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance

Ed

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm running firmware 2.26, have tried syncing via MTP and MSC without any luck

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2011, 02:08 AM

No matter how you produced the above M3U playlists, the syntax is WRONG for use on the J3. It is neither (a) "absolute" nor (b) "relative", and does not include the mandatory "#EXTINF" syntax.

Any of the following three syntax structures for an M3U playlist WILL WORK JUST FINE!! Note that even if a Windows drive letter is present it is ignored by the J3, so there's really no such thing as "absolute" which can reference internal and external storage with two different drive letters.

(a) Produced directly by Cowon's JetAudio program: [works on the J3]

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:255,Desperado
W:\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Desperado.mp3
#EXTINF:432,Hotel California
W:\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Hotel California.mp3

(b) Produced directly by Winamp: [works on the J3]

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:255,Eagles, The - Desperado
\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Desperado.mp3
#EXTINF:432,Eagles, The - Hotel California
\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Hotel California.mp3

(c) Produced directly by Playlist Creator: [works on the J3]

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:255,Hell Freezes Over - 15 - Desperado
..\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Desperado.mp3
#EXTINF:432,Hell Freezes Over - 6 - Hotel California
..\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Hotel California.mp3

In fact, M3U playlists on the J3 are assumed to reference music files on the same "drive" (i.e. internal storage or external storage) that the M3U file itself is stored on. If you place an M3U file in internal storage, the referenced music files are also assumed to be on internal storage. Put the M3U file on external storage and the referenced music files are also assumed to be on external storage.

There are other media player programs which can also build acceptable M3U playlist files that are usable on the J3, as long as (a) they conform to one of the above three syntaxes, and (b) only reference music files on the same storage as where you place the M3U file itself.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:54 AM

Thanks DSperber for the examples.

I just manually edited a test m3u file without any luck. Are you placing your m3u file in the Music folder?

I can see the playlist on the J3, just nothing contained inside it.
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:428,That Was Just Your Life - Metallica
\Music\Metallica\Death Magnetic\01 That Was Just Your Life 1.mp3
#EXTINF:472,The End of the Line - Metallica
\Music\Metallica\Death Magnetic\02 The End of the Line 1.mp3
#EXTINF:385,Broken, Beat & Scarred - Metallica
\Music\Metallica\Death Magnetic\03 Broken, Beat & Scarred 1.mp3
#EXTINF:478,The Day That Never Comes - Metallica
\Music\Metallica\Death Magnetic\04 The Day That Never Comes 1.mp3
#EXTINF:399,All Nightmare Long - Metallica
\Music\Metallica\Death Magnetic\05 All Nightmare Long 1.mp3
#EXTINF:466,Cyanide - Metallica
\Music\Metallica\Death Magnetic\06 Cyanide 1.mp3
#EXTINF:480,The Unforgiven III - Metallica
\Music\Metallica\Death Magnetic\07 The Unforgiven III 1.mp3
#EXTINF:597,The Judas Kiss - Metallica
\Music\Metallica\Death Magnetic\08 The Judas Kiss 1.mp3
#EXTINF:301,Suicide & Redemption - Metallica
\Music\Metallica\Death Magnetic\09 Suicide & Redemption 1.mp3

Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 AM

Looks to me like your #EXTINF lines have the "artist" (Metallica) at the end of each line. My examples showed "title" at the end of each line, followed by a second line providing the actual music file reference with the fully-qualified path and filename.

I don't know if this is critical, but you could certainly try correcting all of your #EXTINF lines since that's definitely what they should look like. Interestingly my three examples show three slightly different formats for the #EXTINF lines, but they all end with the "title". Again, I don't know if this is critical but you should at least try it.

Also, it doesn't matter where your M3U files get stored. I myself created a \Playlists folder in the root of J3 internal storage and placed my M3U files there, just because it seemed reasonable to have them in one place.

But the J3's firmware will search for M3U files anywhere, so they don't have to be in any particular location.

However as I described earlier, the firmware assumes that the implied location of the referenced music files is on the same storage [drive] as where the M3U file itself is located. So if an M3U file is on internal storage then all referenced music files will also be assumed to be on internal storage. If the referenced music files are not found, they will simply be ignored within the M3U playlist file. If all of the referenced music files are not found, then you would see "No files" (I think that's what it shows) when you tried to play that playlist.

One final caveat... M3U playlist files on the J3 have a maximum of 400 referenced music files inside of them.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:55 AM

Are you trying to play your M3U files using Library -> [Playlists]?

Or are you simply browsing "physically" down through Library -> [Folders] -> [J3] -> [Music] -> [Metallica] -> etc. to where you put the M3U file?

You should be playing your M3U playlists using the first method, i.e. Library -> [Playlists]. Your M3U files should then show up underneath that.

Are you in MSC mode or MTP mode? You must be in MSC mode for M3U playlist files to work.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:00 AM

Yep in all the right places and the correct USB mode.
I was deperate enough to fire up the old Dell and installed JetAudio on it.

Still no go, so I'm giving up and I'll just dump my playlists in to folders.

Kind of regret buying the J3 with all the time lost with it.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueltank View Post
Yep in all the right places and the correct USB
mode.
You never got back to me about what happened if you corrected your #EXTINF lines to properly resemble the lines produced by the programs which are known to produce 100% successful M3U playlist files, with the "title" value at the end of those lines rather than the "artist" as you've shown.

I don't know if this is the answer, but you're manually creating your M3U files instead of using programs to produce them. So it's got to be something in what you've built that's at fault. Those three syntaxes I showed all are known to work.

Quote:
I was desperate enough to fire up the old Dell and installed JetAudio on it.
My own feelings about JetAudio is that it is the worst designed, most complex and non-intuitive program I've seen. I do NOT use it myself.

Quote:
Still no go, so I'm giving up and I'll just dump my playlists in to folders.
Well before giving up, why don't you use the SIMPLEST of the recommended programs and see what happens?

As long as you have a Dell/Windows machine just install Winamp and use it to create a playlist directly on the J3, pointing to music files directly on the J3. Then save the M3U playlist directly on the J3. Can't fail.

Be sure to delete any other test M3U files you've been experimenting with up until now.

(1) Open Winamp and in the Playlist Editor window, File -> Add file(s) to get a few tracks showing. I mean navigate the dialog to your \Music folder on the J3 and point to a few music files actually on the J3 itself.

(2) Then again in the Playlist Editor window, File -> Save Playlist and navigate to the J3 to name the file and save it (as an M3U playlist) onto the J3. If your selected music files were on J3 internal storage then put the M3U playlist also on internal storage.

Again, make sure you purge any old M3U files you've been fooling around with, "safely remove hardware", disconnect the USB cable from PC, and re-boot the J3.

Now browse Library -> [Playlists]. Do you see your named playlist? Tap it. Do you now see your several music file names?

Quote:
Kind of regret buying the J3 with all the time lost with it.
Most people buy the J3 because of the way it sounds, not for whether or not its official M3U support is good or not good. Actually, it's not really that good because it doesn't support M3U files referencing music files on both internal and external storage within the same single M3U file.

But this doesn't bother people, because it's the sound of the J3 they want.

There are alternative UCI replacements for the factory Cowon software that greatly enhances the usability and convenience of the J3. You're not forced to use the stock factory Cowon software... which is yet another reason the Cowon products are appreciated, because they support Flash UCI user-developed interface replacements.

Anyway, at least give Winamp a shot to create a simple 2-file M3U playlist on the J3.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Thanks DSperber for the effort of your post, appreciate it mate.

Just a shame I need to re-build my playlist but will give it a go and report back.

Have a Happy New Year.

EDIT: Yes I did remove the artist name from it. What I found when I opened in notepad was that all line breaks were missing (whole playlist was on a single line). I corrected and still no go. Will try with Winamp. Now I am thinking it might be the mac text file encoding is not recognised by the J3. As mentioned, I shall report back when I get the chance.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueltank View Post
EDIT: Yes I did remove the artist name from it. What I found when I opened in notepad was that all line breaks were missing (whole playlist was on a single line). I corrected and still no go. Will try with Winamp. Now I am thinking it might be the mac text file encoding is not recognised by the J3. As mentioned, I shall report back when I get the chance.
The J3 is not a mac-friendly beast.

You should stick to your Windows machine, at least for this early research. If the M3U text file is all one line because of the fact that you edited it on a mac, well that's clearly not going to work.

If you look at an M3U file that DOES work (e.g. out of Playlist Creator or Winamp) you'll see that it's got normal CRLF control characters separating each line. Windows-like text file.

I think this is probably the explanation for your problems.

Let us know how the Winamp under Windows experiment goes when you get around to it.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 AM

And the saga continues. I somehow managed to brick the thing.
Tried tcctool but it just gets stuck booting up on the blue line. I swear this thing hates me

Gonna talk to the seller when they open about an exchange.

EDIT: I did manage to get playlist working before it shat itself though

Thanks for your help mate.

Last edited by fueltank; 01-01-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 AM

Update: MiniDisc.com.au are sending me a replacement, should have it before the weekend.

Have installed "Hidden Cleaner" to prevent this from happening again.

Tags
itunes, mac compatibility, osx