android
Old 12-27-2011, 04:35 AM

Help Songbird and J3???

Any Experiences with that combo?

What would be your favourite program to hook it up to?

Or is it so bad that you really fill it up with the file browser?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-27-2011, 04:48 AM

In order to run it with software you’d need to use it in MTP and AFAIK most here prefer MSC to drag & drop. While I've heard good things about Songbird, I can't say I've bothered to test it yet. Currently run foobar2k on one machine, winamp on another and mediamonkey on the 3rd and I've very happy for what I use these programs for.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Administrator

If you are looking for a media library manager for use in Windows I'd take a look at MusicBee. I don't usually sync my players but I have a Fuze and I keep in MTP to stay familiar with MTP transfer. MusicBee handles that in a transparent, relatively intuitive.

As a library manager I'd rate it as better than average. It takes more setup than iTunes but once you have your preferences set it can be both easy to use and powerful. When I helped someone set it recently to help them migrate from iTunes they were able to do the greatest part of it themselves. There were some interesting times getting their preferences in Autoplaylists set up but nothing a little time and patience didn't handle. I last spoke to them just before Christmas and they were very happy with being able to simply start MusicBee, connect the player and autosync.

One of the things we discovered was as long as the music is all added by MusicBee in MTP it can create playlists that contain files from both the internal and external memories on a Clip Zip and my Fuze. Since I don't use sync much I'm not sure if those can be kept in sync. It does sync playlists that hold files from a single memory in the short tests I've tried.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:27 PM

Well, that sounds good. I think I give it a try without the Player first, though.

So far it only imported empty playlists from itunes, but I'm on it.

Last edited by flatten_the_skyline; 12-27-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If you are looking for a media library manager for use in Windows I'd take a look at MusicBee. I don't usually sync my players but I have a Fuze and I keep in MTP to stay familiar with MTP transfer. MusicBee handles that in a transparent, relatively intuitive.
Do you also own a J3, with both internal and external storage?

I'm not at all familiar with MusicBee, and run MSC mode so that I have Windows drive letters. But I've read about others who've tried MediaMonkey with MTP mode and the "playlists" created on the J3 would only support music files on internal storage.

MTP mode and the J3 involves PLA playlists, not M3U playlists. From what I've seen and tried myself, only Windows Explorer truly understands MTP mode and can handle the "internal storage" and"external storage" notation, rather than Windows drive letters, and build PLA playlists that truly support both internal and external storage of the J3.

Since MediaMonkey and MTP mode apparently does NOT work as hoped, and does NOT build PLA playlists to support music files on both internal and external storage of the J3, I'm very curious as to whether this MusicBee program CAN do what MediaMonkey cannot.

Quote:
One of the things we discovered was as long as the music is all added by MusicBee in MTP it can create playlists that contain files from both the internal and external memories on a Clip Zip and my Fuze. Since I don't use sync much I'm not sure if those can be kept in sync. It does sync playlists that hold files from a single memory in the short tests I've tried.
Again... you make no mention of J3 here.

Have you tried MusicBee in MTP mode with J3 that contains both internal and external storage? If so, can you confirm that it CAN build/maintain PLA playlists which support music files on both internal and external storage of the J3?

Tags
cowon, j3, msc, mtp, songbird