android
Old 12-26-2011, 01:46 PM

Default Looking for new IEM ~75 USD

Hello, I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs. I have $75 USD in amazon gift cards, so about that price point.

I listen to a few different types of music:

Symphonic Metal (example: "Kamelot")

Ambient Electronic (example: "Carbon Based Lifeforms")

Classic Rock (example: "REO Speedwagon")

Orchestra (example: "Two Steps From Hell")

My music has a good diversity of both male and female vocalists.

I currently use the Phonak PFE 112 but I find them to be a bit fatiguing and really lacking in bass (the fatigue can entirely be because of the lack of bass, because I do like treble and it is needed for a lot of my music). I do like the clarity and instrument separation it has though.

I have been looking around the site checking out reviews and such but wanted anothers opinion.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2011, 02:31 PM

What player are you using the PFEs with, if it has a good EQ why not try tuning down the highs, mids and slightly boosting the lows? Personally I haven’t tried the PFEs but from everything I’ve read, I’d love to try them. I’m not saying you shouldn’t find some new phones, but if you can tweak them enough to enjoy them better, you may find a new love for them and be able to save for more expensive cans in the future.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Klipsch 4s phones get good reviews and are in that price range; although the thin (attached) cable bothers me (although the phones do come with a 2-year warranty).

Old 12-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
What player are you using the PFEs with, if it has a good EQ why not try tuning down the highs, mids and slightly boosting the lows? Personally I haven’t tried the PFEs but from everything I’ve read, I’d love to try them. I’m not saying you shouldn’t find some new phones, but if you can tweak them enough to enjoy them better, you may find a new love for them and be able to save for more expensive cans in the future.
Right now and ipod touch. So no good eq, though I have heard of some really good apps that enable a good eq.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticstryk View Post
Right now and ipod touch. So no good eq, though I have heard of some really good apps that enable a good eq.
EQu is worth the money even if you do not not adjust the EQ. The flat setting is far more balanced than the iOS music player.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
EQu is worth the money even if you do not not adjust the EQ. The flat setting is far more balanced than the iOS music player.
Uh, what?

Old 12-26-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Uh, what?
The iOS equalizer app called EQu. To me it sounds better than the iOS Music app.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:07 PM

This is the one I heard about on this forum.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equal...321267949?mt=8

Never heard of EQu before.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
This is the one I heard about on this forum.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equal...321267949?mt=8

Never heard of EQu before.
I have that one too. I prefer EQu though. The UI just feels more natural to me.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
I have that one too. I prefer EQu though. The UI just feels more natural to me.
I'll look into it.

Right now I'm mostly interested in a new pair of IEMs.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:27 PM

MEElec A151's seem to be in your price point. Their trebles can be quite recessed though. How about the venerated Hippo VB's?

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamg View Post
MEElec A151's seem to be in your price point. Their trebles can be quite recessed though. How about the venerated Hippo VB's?
If the treble is too recessed, then my music with female vocals, etc, will not sound good.

I cannot find the Hippo VBs anywhere. At least they are no on amazon, which is what my gift cards are for.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
… I currently use the Phonak PFE 112 but I find them to be a bit fatiguing and really lacking in bass (the fatigue can entirely be because of the lack of bass, because I do like treble and it is needed for a lot of my music). I do like the clarity and instrument separation it has though. …
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamg View Post
MEElec A151's seem to be in your price point. Their trebles can be quite recessed though. ...
Quote:
If the treble is too recessed, then my music with female vocals, etc, will not sound good. …
I use the A151s as my beater phones now and wrote a review about them here, I don’t find the treble recessed, rather lacking in extension. Although I would not recommend them to you based on your first post stating the “lack of bass” on the PFEs (bolded above). While I like the A151s warmth and bass, they do not extend all the way down either.

My opinion on their treble is still the same as I wrote “… the upper midrange transition to treble is nice, soft, and sounds smooth, much to my liking. The A151s are very non-fatiguing here, they don’t come across as bright, but more on the natural side, with good energy. They don’t have any roll-off or sibilance that I noted, but rather a clear clean signal with good detail and clarity. Although just as the bass doesn’t extend all the way down due to balanced armature limitations, the A151s have a limitation as to how high they actually go – but overall they perform very well … "

Unfortunately as I stated before I do not have the PFEs so I couldn't do a direct comparison :/

Old 12-29-2011, 02:43 AM

How would the A151s perform with the type of music I listen too you think?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
How would the A151s perform with the type of music I listen too you think?
Symphonic Metal (example: "Kamelot") - Would fall short on the bass IMO.

Ambient Electronic (example: "Carbon Based Lifeforms") - You may like, but as stated before, no full extension all the way down or up.

Classic Rock (example: "REO Speedwagon") - Works great for me, mind you these are not my main IEMs but favorite beaters now.

Orchestra (example: "Two Steps From Hell") - Works very good, think you would like it here too.

Seal is critical with these, I'm not crazy about any of the included tips but if you can get a good seal I'm guessing most would like the A151s for the right price and lately I've seen some good deals on them (below $45).

Last edited by WalkGood; 12-29-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Symphonic Metal (example: "Kamelot") - Would fall short on the bass IMO.

Ambient Electronic (example: "Carbon Based Lifeforms") - You may like, but as stated before, no full extension all the way down or up.

Classic Rock (example: "REO Speedwagon") - Works great for me, mind you these are not my mine IEMs but favorite beaters now.

Orchestra (example: "Two Steps From Hell") - Works very good, think you would like it here too.

Seal is critical with these, I'm not crazy about any of the included tips but if you can get a good seal I'm guessing most would like the A151s for the right price and lately I've seen some good deals on them (below $45).
I agree with what Walkgood says about the bass. On some songs it just lacks the extension and amount of bass that I've come to expect from my other IEMs. I've had a friend listen to them recently and he found them warmer and darker than what he's used to. If you have any songs with female vocalists you'll find that they may be overshadowed by the instrumentation.

For electronic music I find that if there's too many different sounds happening at the same time the drums and percussion in general will be overpowered by the electrically-powered instruments, like the electric guitar, electric bass, and synthesizers. The lack of lower extension for the bass will sound pretty disappointing. The vocals won't "blend in" as much as the percussion (if there's any at all) but you'll probably not enjoy them as much as you would with other genres of music. For some reason I've found these to work well with video game and anime BGMs.

Classic rock and orchestra is where you'll be able to take advantage of its clarity and separation of instruments, along with some decent positioning. The A151's have an average soundstage, but the above make up for it as long as there aren't too many electric instruments in your music, giving the impression that the soundstage is wider than what it really is, according to Walkgood.

I'm used to the triple-flanges. I couldn't get a decent fit with any of the other tips that came with the IEM, especially the bi-flanges, which were too wide for my ear.

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Last edited by mbamg; 12-29-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 PM

Sounds like the A151s might not be for me then. I listen to a lot of symphonic metal and electronic.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 AM

If I increased my budget up to $150 would my options expand?

Basically I want something like my phonaks but without the lack of bass quantity.

Found these, looking up review for them now: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-IE6...5436732&sr=1-3

Last edited by mysticstryk; 01-01-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:39 PM

I have never heard he PFE and I do not know much about it, but doesn't it have various filters that change the sound up a bit? Would knowing which filter you like better help with recommendations?

Again, I am rather clueless about Phonak, but does the PFE Perfect Bass sound similar to the 121 but with more bass?

Lastly, maybe ClieOS's IEM comparison could help find a similar sounding IEM with more bass.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:48 PM

^yes, I'm using the black filters, which give more bass.

Does anybody have experience with the IE6? Comparable to the phonaks with more bass?

I'm also thinking that I should just buy some green filters (the new bass filters that come with there perfect bass line of iems) for $20. Would those work in my 112's even though they are branded for the 012's?