android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 12-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Default need help choosing new headphones for sansa clip+

Hi, I recently ordered online a sansa clip+ player and i want a pair of closed headphones to use while commuting or at work. I'm willing to spend 100 to $150 (shipping cost included, about 30 bucks, I live in Chile and there aren't many good options to buy good headphones here), but I also would appreciate if you could tell me if itīs worth it to spend such money on headphones for such a small player. I listen mostly rock, but also some hip-hop and reggae. I'm new to the audiophile world so I don't really know much about sound signatures, I do know that I'm not a fan of heavy bass based sound.

Sorry for creating a new topic but I've been trying to decide for the last week reading a lot of reviews and discussions and haven't found a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance and apologies if my English is not so good.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-25-2011, 11:22 AM

The Clip+ actually has a nice little amp inside it so it certainly does make sense to buy full-size closed cans for it.

Since you prefer a sound that does not emphasize bass too much, perhaps it would be best if you invested in some studio monitor headphones. For example, the Sony MDR-7506 and the KRK KNS 6400 are within your price range.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Welcome to Abi

In my opinion it's definitely worth getting a good set of headphones if you want your music to sound it's best. The Clip+ powers just about any normal headphones nicely, ear buds or full size.

You can't judge a player based on size. The size of a player doesn't indicate it's ability to generate a quality signal. I can understand a bit of skepticism. I have been using some variety of Sansa Clip now for over 2 years and there's still times I marvel at how something the size of a book of matches can produce the great sound it does.

Usually I advise that someone looking for a new set of headphones to post the information here to get the best recommendations from our members. In your case you may want to add a list of the sets you know are available to you. I've found that if you don't you tend to get a lot of suggestions that would be great except they cost too much where you are or can't be found at all in your location.

Pricing and shipping can be very different from one country to the next. Availability is the same. There's times I've seen someone ask about a set of headphones that's not available anymore in the US that's common in their country. A list of possible candidates from you would help narrow the field.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Redneck Moderator

I'd suggest the KRK KNS 8400's if you can get them cheap enough. They are very comfortable, lightweight, and isolate good. They've got deep bass, and they do play in all frequencies but they aren't bass heavy. These headphones don't lack in any area, but they aren't big bassy headphones, so my personal tastes had me opt for a different set for myself.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 12-25-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk_dh View Post
Hi, I recently ordered online a sansa clip+ player and i want a pair of closed headphones to use while commuting or at work. I'm willing to spend 100 to $150 (shipping cost included, about 30 bucks, I live in Chile and there aren't many good options to buy good headphones here), but I also would appreciate if you could tell me if itīs worth it to spend such money on headphones for such a small player. I listen mostly rock, but also some hip-hop and reggae. I'm new to the audiophile world so I don't really know much about sound signatures, I do know that I'm not a fan of heavy bass based sound.

Sorry for creating a new topic but I've been trying to decide for the last week reading a lot of reviews and discussions and haven't found a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance and apologies if my English is not so good.
Merry Christmas, I have used Clips for years I own three of them. I was skeptical of the sound at first because of the price. The Clip produces great sound especially for the price. I have IEM's, earbuds, Headphones of all kinds and quality.

My personal preferences for using the Clip:

Ultimate Ears Super 5 fi pros. for walkabouts and work because of the wire that hangs on the ear. The UE's are very sensitive thus very loud. While hanging on the ears I don't have to insert them to hear them but this is for podcast. They don't make them any more though

I have a affinity for Sony earbuds: MDR-EX-51 & 71's though discontinued a couple of years ago and only last a year. MDR-EX 85's better sound and more comfortable than the EX-90's which are still available for about $50 USD. MDR-EX 500's Sound great better build and can be found for about $60-$100 USD.

I gravitate to Sony earbuds because of their cord design the are not the Y type but around the neck design. Sony's have great sound and clarity for the money but are well built (Wire tends to go bad after a year of heavy use) I have got more life out of mine knowing that I have to take care of them. There are those who like other brands but I too live in a headphone desert. I have tried other earbuds but I always go back to Sony.

Koss KTXPro1, cheap, Lightweight, great sound over the ear portable headphones. $15 USD

The bottom line is you will never really appreciate the sound of the Clip without good headphones. The Clip deserves that and it is recommend that you buy better headphones.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:11 PM

, thanks for the quick response.

"the info":

Price Range: 100 to $150
Type/Design: Full size headphones, Closed circumaural or supra-aural
Primary location of use: At work and while commuting
Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: not sure, not a fan of heavy bass based sound, so I guess a natural, neutral signature?
Media: rock, Reggae and hip hop
Source: Sansa clip+ and notebook (mostly the sansa)

I can basically purchase anything that's available on eBay from sellers that ship worldwide (util now there's no model that's recommended by online reviews that I haven't found available to Chile). I had the following candidates: Koss Pro4AAT Titanium, Sennheiser HD448 (or maybe another model from the 400 series), Sennheiser HD 280, Sennheiser hd205, Audio technica ATHT500 and I would consider the ATH M50 (which is a little more expensive than what I was looking for) if there are significantly better than the other models.

thanks Again.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Redneck Moderator

I had the ATH-M50's and the KRK KNS 8400 at the same time. They are both good headphones, but they're on different ends of the spectrum. The ATH-M50's are a bit bass heavy, it doesn't have to be over powering, but if you adjust your EQ to certain settings then you can literally feel them shaking on your head.

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Old 12-25-2011, 12:48 PM

If it's possible to get it shipped to where you are, I highly recommend the Head Direct RE0s. Just love them for their clarity and it's not all that bass heavy either, quite moderate imo.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:05 PM

If you like real sound and powerful noise isolation try the Sennheiser HD 280 pros on sale for $75 norammly 150

Old 12-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Imo the Sony EX51 sounds terrible. I bought it many years ago. Imo the Sennheiser CX300 sounds much better. The new CX250 is said to sound even better than the Cx300 and is cheaper.

Imo KXtpro1 sounds better than the Portapro, however the latest version with the blue and grey looks so cheap. Years ago it was all black and looked much nicer. It is an open headphone. Imo the JVC HAS160 sounds better(it has been a long time since I had the KXTpro1). The KXtpro1 is open, while the HAS160 is closed. The HAS160 doesn't isolate so well though. Still at around $10 it is a great buy.

The HD280 pro is now $75, however it has been around $80 for quite a while. The HD380 pro is now at $145. The HD380 pro is said to be a great improvent over the HD280.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 PM

The HD280 pro is now $75, however it has been around $80 for quite a while. The HD380 pro is now at $145. The HD380 pro is said to be a great improvent over the HD280.[/QUOTE]

The Hd 380s are more for studio applications

Old 12-26-2011, 12:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The HD280 pro is also a studio monitor. Read post 26.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/417831/hd380-vs-hd280/15

Last edited by JK98; 12-28-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Grado SR80i are excellent for rock and metal.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:30 PM

Thanks again for the advice, remember though that I'm looking for closed circumaural or supra-aural phones.

is there much of a difference between the KRK KNS 6400 and the HD280 pro (SQ wise)?

Old 12-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Redneck Moderator

If the 6400's are anything like the 8400's then they will sound different. The HD280's will have a little more bass. The KRK 8400's that I tried were some of the best sound headphones I've used, except I just didn't like how they weren't big bassy.

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Old 12-27-2011, 05:18 AM

The 6400 actually has even less bass than the 8400. The 8400 is a fairly bassy headphone IMO, but the bass is very well controlled and clear, which makes it sound less prominent than it is.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:25 AM
Redneck Moderator

Yeah it has bass, but it wouldn't ever be booty bumping bass. Not even with an EQ would it go bass heavy. That is NOT a bad thing, just that I was looking for something else. The only thing I would say would be difficult about the 8400 is how critical they can be to the recording. If its a bad recording they will most certainly let you know it is.

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 AM

ok, so both the 6400 and the hd280 are pretty neutral phones but the 280 have more bass?

what about the senn HD 448, is it any good?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk_dh View Post
Thanks again for the advice, remember though that I'm looking for closed circumaural or supra-aural phones.

is there much of a difference between the KRK KNS 6400 and the HD280 pro (SQ wise)?
I'd stay away from the HD280. Dry as paper and rather slow sounding.

How about the Shure 840 or 440?
Tonally similar to the M50, but a bit more controlled bass, and an upper register with less 'glare'

Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Redneck Moderator

I had the Shure SRH840 along side my ATH-M50's and I thought they Shure's sounded off. I didn't like one aspect of their sound signature, it was boring and seemed to be veiled across the entire frequency range. And they were less comfortable than the KRK or the ATH-M50's.

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock