android
Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 AM

Default I want a really high capacity MP3 player

Hi,

First off, I'll just say that I don't have a problem with ipods, though I understand why people do, and I'm open to any and all MP3 player suggestions.

Essentially I really want a high capacity MP3 player, and there seems to be nothing on the market that is higher than 160gb. I want one that has at least 250gb of space, preferably 320-500. I have a 160gb Ipod classic which is fine, but they aren't making bigger ones, it seems.

Aside from the Archos 500gb internet tablet I've seen nothing. Do they even exist?

This is what my ideal player would have and doesn't need to have.
The essential:
-very high capacity. Obviously hdd based, since flash memory doesn't support such high capacities.
-Plays MP3s seamlessly and it must support gapless playback
-user friendly controls
-Easy to transfer files to device from Windows based machine
-Decent battery life

What would be nice to have but not essential:
-Touch screen interface which nice features like recently added
-Wifi capability and some apps for accessing music stored remotely (at home)
-Bluetooth (for my bluetooth headphones)
-Ability to browse by folders and my id3 tags

What I really don't need or care about:
-Ability to play other formats such as flac
-ability to play video
-web browsing, etc

So what I want is a high capacity music player, not a multi-purpose media device.

Again, I have no problem with Apple and, admittedly, my ideal device would look something like an ipod touch with 500gb of onboard storage.

Do these even exist?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not really. Basically over 160GB is the domain of video players and tablets. The vast majority who want such huge storage want it for video. Eventually when flash memory gets much cheaper, and and 256GB micro SDXC cards become cheap, you will see players that take these cards. I guess you may need to around 2 or 3 years for this. In the meantime, a tablet like one by Samsung with 500GB might be your best best.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 AM

Default You have to wait about 5-10 years

Be patient and wait it out because it aint happing any time soon.

No really, I did a mod on an iPod 5.5 Video and exchanged the 80 GB for a 240 GB HDD. I got this a Rapid Repair. for about $200 a couple of years ago the price has went up.http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/3119...mk2431gah.html

Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Looks like the Archos is the only choice without modification, and B&H Photo is seling it for $194.00. Not bad for such a high capacity player, but the SQ in Archos players is usually not that good.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...655+4291074670

What you might want to do is to get this player to store all your music, then get a relatively inexpensive player like the Clip Zip to store those songs that must sound their best.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:01 PM

How poor is poor sound quality? How would it match up against streaming music via audiogalaxy or subsonic to my iphone?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:19 PM

My Archos 32 works perfectly fine with dynamic driver phones, no discernible audio difference compared to other quality players. However due to its high output impedance it doesn't play overly nicely with multi-armature IEMs. I assume they didn't change much for the other models.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Maybe a bit worse. It's nothing terrible, but it's also nothing special. It's very middle of the road.

Also, the internet browser is very outdated and borderline unusable compared to modern Android tablets.

The battery life isn't too great either, but it should get through half a day with just music playing. Don't fiddle around with it too much and turn that screen brightness to minimum, and you should be good for an entire day.

Remember, though: it's not a media tablet with a hard drive. It's a hard drive that happens to have a screen and speakers attached to it.
movies, Netflix and internet, oh my!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
How poor is poor sound quality? How would it match up against streaming music via audiogalaxy or subsonic to my iphone?
I don't think you will hear much (If any) of a difference. If you can, audition the Archos player before you purchase it. If I needed that storage space, I wuld jump on it.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The only real issue is the EU volume cap on the Archos players - that the whole WORLD has to deal with. The SQ is good, but the volume output sux!!!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Looks like the Archos is the only choice without modification, and B&H Photo is seling it for $194.00. Not bad for such a high capacity player, but the SQ in Archos players is usually not that good.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...655+4291074670

What you might want to do is to get this player to store all your music, then get a relatively inexpensive player like the Clip Zip to store those songs that must sound their best.
I agree with the last part. I bought a credit card size Micro SD holder which holds 10 cards plus a SD adapter on Amazon for about $6 to use with my clip. Having the card lets me keep music per genre...less searching Though it is a pain for the player to read the card every time a new card/change is put in the Clip.

Great sound, small. plays Flac and is cheap as dirt...disposable too.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
I want one that has at least 250gb of space, preferably 320-500. I have a 160gb Ipod classic which is fine, but they aren't making bigger ones, it seems.
I am still waiting for a good device with = or > 500gb, i feel like i will be waiting a long time. My current solution is a netbook with a 750gb hdd which is with me most of the time, and using wifi sync with my iphone4S i can change up my music quickly and easily.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 12-23-2011, 08:13 AM

I use my 160gb ipod classic whenever I'm stationary in a cafe or whatever. But I have over 200gb of music.

I've been using various streaming apps on my iphone. They are neat but an imperfect solution. One can't rely on remote playing for a variety of reasons. But it is kinda cool having all your music with you when you leave your house with nothing more than your phone.

I can't justify spending $200 on an Archos given the lackluster reviews.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I agree with the last part. I bought a credit card size Micro SD holder which holds 10 cards plus a SD adapter on Amazon for about $6 to use with my clip. Having the card lets me keep music per genre...less searching Though it is a pain for the player to read the card every time a new card/change is put in the Clip.

Great sound, small. plays Flac and is cheap as dirt...disposable too.
I don't understand why no one designs a player around multiple card slots. Limited on-board storage for the necessities and some minimal storage, and a boatload of card slots. That way they don't have to pay for memory, and it's up to everyone else to throw down.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
I don't understand why no one designs a player around multiple card slots. Limited on-board storage for the necessities and some minimal storage, and a boatload of card slots. That way they don't have to pay for memory, and it's up to everyone else to throw down.
Probably because it would require alot of battery power to use all of those multiple card slots.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
Probably because it would require alot of battery power to use all of those multiple card slots.
Index once, shut all of them down until needed/requested.

I'm with Sviatapolk, in that I have huge music collection and am anxiously awaiting higher flash only capacity. I bought a d2+ because someone (quoakka?) got a 128gb SD card to work in it, but it seems to have less bottom end than my j3 or i7s.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:49 PM

I use a Vosonic VP8870 with 256 GB SSD. Nice quality screen. Can accept SDHC cards and 2.5" SATA drives. It's interesting but a bit bulky and the firmware is crude.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Um, Texas, that's a media vault - they kinda suck for DAP usage.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
No widespread demand for a player like that would be my guess. Not saying there's no demand but whoever looks into making one who have to think they could sell enough to make a reasonable profit.

Considering there's fewer large capacity straight music players now it seems the makers aren't seeing the right numbers. That's not to say some manufacturer won't target the high capacity niche at some time but most of them seem to have conceded the cloud and smartphones don't leave enough market share to make it worth while.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

With the advent of Cloud services, I doubt any manufacturer feels the market demand for high-capacity players. With any 8gb Android phone or PMP and a WiFi or cell connection I have access to my entire music collection from Google Music. It's a free service. You can download some of it (up to your local storage capacity) for local access if you're planning on being out of web-access range, and Google throws in a few free songs every now and then (to promote new albums or artists). Now as soon as they come out with a cloud service I can upload my DVD collection to I won't ever need a high capacity drive again, not even on a PC.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Screw the cloud.

Tags
high capacity, mp3 player