android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 12-20-2011, 10:56 PM

Default Got a Clip+ and tried to put music in sd card. "Do not have permission to create"

Ran out of room in the thread title, so I'll just say it here.

I got a 4gb Clip+ today, and I tried putting music in my 16 gb SD card, but it wouldn't let me because it says "You do not have permission to create this item"

I tried putting music on the SD card beforehand through my phone, but then the files didn't show up in the Clip+ when I put the card in.

I tried looking elsewhere to try to find a problem but to no avail

Help please

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would try reformatting the card. The SD Association's formatter tool, at its website, seems to do a nice job for that, sometimes fixing issues.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

dkang...

Music files need to be in the MUSIC directory. What is the folder struture of your card?

Steve

Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, as far as I am aware, music files do not need to be in any specific folder--they are there to help keep things organized (although the Podcasts and Audiobooks folders do have extra benefits).

Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
dkang...

Music files need to be in the MUSIC directory. What is the folder struture of your card?

Steve
Well, I tried formatting the card (which sadly didn't work ), so the card was blank

EDIT: There was a folder called "MSC" but I still can't copy anything

Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try setting the USB mode on the player to MSC. put the card in the player, and connect the player. Use Windows Explorer to drag and drop files to the card.

If this doesn't work, then disconnect the player, set the USB mode on the player to MTP, reconnect the player, delete all the files on the card, disconnect the player and set the USB mode to MSC, and use Windows Explorer to copy and paste files to the card.

Crazy things can happen after files are placed on the card while the player is connected in MTP mode. This might be what has happened to you. If you need to use MTP mode to transfer protected files to the player, then they should be transferred to main memory and not to card memory if you want to avoid problems.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Try setting the USB mode on the player to MSC. put the card in the player, and connect the player. Use Windows Explorer to drag and drop files to the card.

If this doesn't work, then disconnect the player, set the USB mode on the player to MTP, reconnect the player, delete all the files on the card, disconnect the player and set the USB mode to MSC, and use Windows Explorer to copy and paste files to the card.

Crazy things can happen after files are placed on the card while the player is connected in MTP mode. This might be what has happened to you. If you need to use MTP mode to transfer protected files to the player, then they should be transferred to main memory and not to card memory if you want to avoid problems.
I tried connecting it in MSC mode, and the SD card showed up in the F drive, and it said I need to format it before I use it. I tried formatting it, but it said "Windows was unable to complete the format"

Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like there are MTP transferred songs on the card. You will need to set the player to MTP then connect to the pc to be able to get rid of them. After that, disconnect the player and set it to MSC(I am assuming you don't have any protected music). Then reconnect the player, and copy and paste music to the player.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

dkang...

Have you used this card before in another device? What brand, etc?

Steve

Old 12-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
dkang...

Have you used this card before in another device? What brand, etc?

Steve
It was on a Samsung phone

Old 12-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Then perhaps the Samsung phone put protected files on it. Try putting the card in the Samsung phone and using the phone to delete all files on the card.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 AM

I had similar issues. Changed the USB connect format to MSC and also formatted the SD card twice. Once on my laptop to wipe any previous info when it was in my blackberry. Then I formatted it in the player itself. That seemed to work for me, but it still glitches occasionally. When that happens I usually just eject the card and put it back in.
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

As noted above, it may work to put the card back in the phone and delete any files and to format it there (if you can on your phone)--I've read of that working before. And then I also would format "normally," outside the phone.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
As noted above, it may work to put the card back in the phone and delete any files and to format it there (if you can on your phone)--I've read of that working before. And then I also would format "normally," outside the phone.
Yup, I just did this, and it worked

Thanks for the help

Old 12-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great to hear! It seems that phones sometimes can "take a card over."

Old 12-22-2011, 11:30 PM

Nope, nvm. It's still not working

Old 01-02-2012, 04:50 PM

I had the same problem with a Sansa Clip+ and a 16 GB SD card. For SD cards, some systems have a limit to how big a memory capacity will work with the device. I cynically suspect that 16 GB goes over the limit (even though the quick start guide says it works up to 16 GB), because while my 16 GB card didn't work (no matter how many times I formatted it), the 8 GB one did easily and immediately.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisthammerw View Post
I had the same problem with a Sansa Clip+ and a 16 GB SD card. For SD cards, some systems have a limit to how big a memory capacity will work with the device.
The Clip+ has an official limit of 32 GB, but in practice larger cards probably work, although they're non-standard.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
The Clip+ has an official limit of 32 GB, but in practice larger cards probably work, although they're non-standard.
I checked the quick start manual to confirm it said up 16 GB, and I was right. Maybe you're thinking of a different model? Worse yet, maybe the model I got is even worse than the quick start manual indicates (such that the limit is 8 GB). Even when I was able to get the mp3 files on the 16 GB SD Card, the Clip+ seemed absolutely incapable of realizing the files were there.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisthammerw View Post
I checked the quick start manual to confirm it said up 16 GB, and I was right.
No, the official limit is 32GB. The manual refers to the largest capacity available at the time of its printing. In reality, 32GB is just an artificial limit because that its the largest size the windows format tool supports for SD cards. Using third party tools, you should be able to use larger disks (theoretical limit is several TB).