android
Old 12-15-2011, 05:17 PM

Unhappy "Recently Added" on Clip+ not updating using Original Firmware

Hey you guys!

As you can tell from the title, the "Recently Added" feature on my Clip+, original firmware NOT Rockbox, isn't updating. It's not that big of an issue; but it usually follows that once I add a track to my Clip I want to hear it as soon as it refreshes and it's kind of a pain to have to search for it instead of having it right there in the "RA" folder.

What my question is is this: Is this a sign of bad things to come? Or just a little quirk that has no bearing on the working status of the Clip itself? It's been acting kind of buggy lately; freezing between track changes, restarting itself, but these are minor and don't happen all the time.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you operating in MSC, MTP, or Autodetect USB mode?

I think I read that it only works in MTP, but I could easily be wrong.

Steve

Old 12-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Administrator

I just did a quick check adding content in both MSC and MTP "Recently Added" showed the the new content in both modes. I'm not sure why it's not doing that for you. This was on a Clip+ that has never been Rockboxed so that's not a factor.

If I had a Clip+ with the database not building properly to show new content and the other freezing and restarting problems I wouldn't consider those minor problems. I'd consider those signs something was wrong and might get worse. I'd would try to head off any bigger problems by making sure the basics were up to speed.

I'd would place the player in MSC mode and use whatever disc checking facility your OS offers to check for file system problems. I would also reinstall the firmware, That's fixed unexplained bugginess more than once.

There have been a couple of people that have tracked down their problems to bad tags or music files with problems. You could use a good tagging program like Mp3tag to rewrite your tags. You can also use the File Integrity Verifier in foobar2000 to check your files if they're mp3s. If it detects a problem like multiple tags or problems with the mp3 header or stream it can usually straighten that out for you.

There's a couple of other mp3 checkers like Mp3Val that can help in making sure your files themselves aren't a possible source of the recent bugginess. If you do a google or check around the site they shouldn't be hard to find.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Also it could be a firmware version that isn't working right. Which firmware version are you using?

Steve

Old 12-28-2011, 06:17 PM

Ekk! Sorry for not checking and responding sooner!! It's winter break and I've been in hibernation lol

The firmware is V01.02.16A. I think this is the latest update; when I plug it in and run Sansa Updater this is what it tells me. I haven't messed with the USB mode options, but will try MSC mode after I check the disc and reformat everything. I've had to do this before, actually, when it froze in the middle of updating the SD card. But, I didn't mess with the USB modes.

I have seen that M3P tags could be the problem as well. I will check out the tagging site!!

Again, I'm sooo sorry for not getting back sooner!!! And thanks so much, you guys!!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM

I reformatted the Clip through the built in format feature. When I tried to disk check it on my PC, a thing I've done with my former Ipod, the action didn't show up. I didn't check the MP3 tags, I think that this my be the issue. Like I said in my last post, it froze until the battery ran out on the "refreshing your media" screen once. I do have a 32 GB SD card in there, it's a 4GB player. Could this be a problem?

I just added a file on to the reformatted player to test the "recently added, but it doesn't look good. I added a song to the SD card, which is named something weird now in WMP that it wasn't named before, and it stayed the same. No recently added song. Boohoo:-((

Gonna try the MP3 tagging thing next. I'll keep it posted!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 PM

OH! and I switched to MSC mode.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Administrator

You changed to MSC mode before you tried checking the disk and transferring the files? The odd renaming and failure of the Windows disk checking facility usually means the player is in MTP or Autodetect mode.

You need to place the player into MSC mode in the Sansa settings menu before you can use any of the disk checking or tagging programs. They need a drive letter to work. If it's in MSC mode and Windows disk checking fails to complete when attempting to check the file structure I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 PM

I changed to MSC mode after formatting it from the player itself. So, this is why I couldn't get the check disk Windows facility. I tried it today, in MSC mode, and there was indeed a format option when right clicked.

I formatted it using Windows check disk, nothing changed and it didn't find any errors. I'm just going to go with it until it won't play anymore. I'm pretty sure it's a tagging problem, which means I have to go through the 2000 songs on my SD card and check them all:-( Oh well.

Tags
original firmware, recently added, sansa clip+