android
Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 PM

Default Caught in endless refress loop

8GB Clip Zip in trapped in an endless refresh loop. It suspends long enough to show the flower but the flower leads to nothing as none of the controls work. If I hold the power button down for 20 seconds, refresh restarts. I have loaded my music and attempted updates. I have not heard my music or succeeded in completing an update. My computer OS is Ubuntu 11.04 with no access to Windows or Apple.

Last edited by ferd; 12-10-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Additions

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 PM

It sounds as if there's a problem with the power button, it should be under warranty. I'd either contact the company you bought it from for an exchange or Call SanDisk for an RMA approval.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ferd:

Do you have a microSD card in the player? If so, try removing it.

How full did you fill the internal memory? What do you mean by "attempted updates"? Try to install new firmware? If so, which version?

You could leave it sit overnight not plugged in, and hope the charge runs down. Then try plugging it in.

Did you leave the USB setting at Autodetect, or change it to either MSC or MTP?

Steve

Old 12-10-2011, 09:38 PM

No microSD card. Internal memory is not filled. Approximately 750k remains. Tried to install 1.01.16. I left it last night to discharge the battery, which it did. I then plugged it into the usb port on the computer and recharged it. I changed the usb setting to MSC because it is the only available selection that allows the computer to recognize the Clip Zip.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferd View Post
... Tried to install 1.01.16. ...
I didn't know there was a .16 firmware for the Clip Zip, I've only seen:
Is it possible you used the wrong firmware as the Clip + has a .16 firmware?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:06 AM

You are correct. I just realized that the firmware had 02.01.16 designation. That is how I got screwed up. Is there a fix for my screwup?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
You are correct. I just realized that the firmware had 02.01.16 designation. That is how I got screwed up. Is there a fix for my screwup?
The wrong firmware shouldn't do anything on the player. If you can now copy files to your player, copy one of the Clip Zip firmware files from the following thread...

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=64931

Hopefully that fixes everything up.

Steve

Old 12-11-2011, 09:54 AM

I had previously downloaded the right firmware, along with the wrong, but I am not able to reach the menu in the player to get to the root section to do a firmware update. The only displays I see are the refresh notice with the progress bar and the flower. This morning I tried powering up using a cell phone charger after discharging overnight and it powered up but began the the refresh cycle all over again. What a mess I got myself into!

Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Administrator

I've never had placing the wrong firmware on a Clip or Fuze do anything. The player just ignored it as if it weren't there. From what I've read if the hardware is different it shouldn't do anything.

I'm just not sure if forcing a MSC connection would do anything. With the player in this state it might not work at all or if it does you may not be able to remove the wrong firmware and place the right one on there. Even if you get the right one in place it might brick it all together.

You'll have to decide if you want to try forcing a connection. You may want to wait until someone else more knowledgeable posts on this though. I wouldn't want to tell you to go forward with that and there may be a safer alternative.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:14 AM

I forced the MSC connection and successfully installed the .17 and .18 firmware upgrades. However, after restarting and the flower appearing media refresh starts again. The blue bar fills quickly and stays on that display for several minutes until the display goes black. When I push the start button the category screen last selected (Albums) shows for less than a second before the media fresh screen appears and the media refresh cycle begins again.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I had previously downloaded the right firmware, along with the wrong, but I am not able to reach the menu in the player to get to the root section to do a firmware update. The only displays I see are the refresh notice with the progress bar and the flower. This morning I tried powering up using a cell phone charger after discharging overnight and it powered up but began the the refresh cycle all over again. What a mess I got myself into!
It's not clear to me what happens when it is plugged in to your computer. That's the only way to remove the wrong firmware file and add the correct one. I had intended for you to plug into your computer BEFORE charging after the charge had run down (but my post wasn't clear on that).

Steve

Old 12-11-2011, 02:10 PM

If you can't fix it, just do what I said in post #2 ...

Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM

Talking Rockbox

Installed rockbox and its all good. Thanks to all.

Tags
8gb clip zip, refresh database, update problem