android
Old 12-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Got you Big Sky, I thought you meant to let the battery drain,.. My bad.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-16-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
Calibrate it or you'll be fighting the battery forever. I get to 100% all the time. The instructions indicate to charge it fully before using it the first time.

How do you calibrate it?

I did try to charge it fully the first time, I just wasn't aware that it hadn't charged to the 100% level. I thought when the battery icon showed full, it was good.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:26 AM

One thing that is annoying with Android (Some) devices is that they don't read/show the correct charge. While it may be annoying I don't read into it too much because the length of use is what matters and the devices I own all perform like they should. ex: My evo with extended battery will show a fast drop and low level of juice but will run for days. ex 2: I tried to kill the battery Sunday night the SGP showed 40% and hour later I was a 15% playing Sim City. Hoping continuing would kill it fast. Three hours later and well into the early morning hours I was still at 15%. I gave up. a total of 18hrs of solid use on Sunday and I could not kill the battery.

My advice is to live with it or buy a iXxx.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
What I did was unplugged it and plugged it back in. Wait at least 5 more hours to see if it goes from 80 to 100, mine finally did.
Thanks for the tip, that's exactly what i did and only one of my two players once read about 95% battery... so far i have never seen a fully charged battery on any of my SGP. Battery lasts for about 2 days, mainly using the browser, youtube and watching a movie over netflix.

I'm pretty happy with the battery life but yet have seen it fully charged !!!

...any other tips are more than welcome, thanks in advance

IGNITIONDREAM

Old 12-17-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
One thing that is annoying with Android (Some) devices is that they don't read/show the correct charge.
There are several free battery apps that will show the right charge including a perfectly correct numeric display. The graphic battery indicator that came with the Android devices I've seen have all been misleading. 75% charge has a tiny sliver of the battery dark.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Mine finally showed the 100% charge without me unplugging/re-plugging around the 80% mark. I just left it overnight (starting around 9pm) and in the morning, it was at 100%. So maybe they just need a really long charge, as in close to 12 hours.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 AM

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heres the solution guys;
first of all wen battery gets charged to 80% let it b attached to charger for another haif n hour or so and then disconnect the device frm the charger
after dis turn on Wifi n start browsing internet for 10-25 mins and now plug in ur device back to the charger n browse for more 5 mins
Voilla!!!!! u will now c dat ur battery % will b now either 90% or 95%

Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM

"Solution"???? temp fix maybe, but it's probably going to do the same thing next charge. Mine sat at 100% for 12 hours, with use during the day, then I rebooted and showed 30%! Need a real fix, so battery shows real %. Battery Use graph is totally useless, when it gets stuck, time stops. I really think the battery is just fine, lasts like it should, you just have no clue what you really have left... all the battery monitors use system info and show the same screwed up readings.

Example of what happens during a charge (stuck at 65% and 80%, thinks screen is on when it's not, I did not unplug it for the approx. 12 hour charge, 1 grid line = 1 hour) so 8-9 hours is what it needs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uts27 View Post
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heres the solution guys;
first of all wen battery gets charged to 80% let it b attached to charger for another haif n hour or so and then disconnect the device frm the charger
after dis turn on Wifi n start browsing internet for 10-25 mins and now plug in ur device back to the charger n browse for more 5 mins
Voilla!!!!! u will now c dat ur battery % will b now either 90% or 95%

Last edited by tcat; 12-21-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:36 PM

for me the first time I completely discharged the battery, I plugged it in and started charging and it reached 100% but after shutting down, removing the battery and reinserting and then restarting it showed like 63% charge so I played like 10-15 minutes of angry birds then plugged it back in and charged it a couple more hours, then it went to a true 100% charge that lasted 38 hrs. and change with with about 11 hrs. of that playing music and 1.5 hrs of angry birds. after it shut off on that drain (and my power came back on) I plugged it up to the charger and let it charge while I slept and that seems to have taken a full charge this time.

My recommendation is to leave the device OFF when charging, it seems to charge more accurately that way.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:44 PM

It's definitely wacko. My charge has shown 100% for the past 16 hours, as has the graph in Battery Monitor Widget. But the mV graph has dropped from 4190 to 3720. I know if I powered it off/on, it would drop at least 30% if not 60%... this really needs to be corrected! My past 28 hours (notice at 80% For 6 hours while charging):

edit: booted right after the above and dropped to 50%, played a game for 10 minutes and dropped to 20%, stayed at 20% for 12 hours and is still there...

Last edited by tcat; 12-27-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The SGP's seem to give too many erroneous messages when it comes to battery charge & 3rd party apps. I just charge it every few days and deal with it.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:20 PM

Could someone refresh us with which is the best way to care for this type of battery pertaining to charging/discharging?

I've seen "always keep it between 20% and 80%" or "never less than 20% and always charge it to full 100%".

Last edited by murph; 02-13-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: many spelling mistakes :)

Old 02-13-2012, 03:43 PM

I really don't think it matters. Only thing the manual says: "When battery power is 15% or less, your device prompts you to charge the battery. If you continue to operate the device without charging, the device powers off."

I typically charge overnight when I'm below 20% (typically it's at 10%). Looking at the charging graph, it always gets stuck at 80% for 3 hours, but hits 100% at about 7 hours. I've noticed that USB charges as fast or faster than the wall plug. If I'm really low at the end of the day at work, I use my car charger on the way home (goes from 5% to 20%), the use it a bit, then let it charge overnight.

If these batteries start crapping out I sure hope Samsung replaces them at no charge!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:58 AM

Default SGP 5 Battery Issues

I've been having some of the same issues for Galaxy 5 I just bought about a month ago. Sometimes won't show full charge even though it has been plugged in overnight; sometimes after a full charge and I unplug it still says it is charging; and worst of all sometimes when I plug it in it doesn't even charge at all (plugged it in at my desk at work when I went off for a meeting, two hours later I came back, not only was it not charged but it seemed to have been drained faster.)

With all of these, rebooting seems to work as suggested, but don't think I should have to do all those things to make work correctly... I love the device but really worried I got a lemon or something, considering bringing it back to Best Buy and exchanging it for a new one before it is too late... Any suggestions.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:36 AM

My wife and I each have SGP 5.0's. The "Battery Status" never slides all the way to the right, but the battery pic on the screen does show 100%. I haven't charged them completely too many times, but when I did the battery picture hasn't showed 100% unless I unplug and re-plug after it's charged for a few hours (power off). I don't have to do anything funky to get it to show 100%, and the instant I plug it back in, the battery picture shows 100%. I view onboard voltage monitors like these as a rough guide.

Troy,
If you think you're having problems, exchange your SGP for another. Better to do it now, and give yourself another 30 days to see if the new device works better.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM

I do a simple cycle with all new devices with rechargeable batteries. I charge it to full power then drain it till the device shuts down, then repeat the process 5 times.
All rechargeable batteries need a work out to gain maximum capacity from new (no matter what manufacturer's say). Regular topping up does damage the battery in the long run. If you do top it up regularly, every 5th go, run it flat and give it a full recharge, ti does help! My video camera is 12 years old, and both batteries (lithium ion) still work!

From day one, I charged my sgp 5.0 to full power, then ran it down running the video player. It played for 9 1/2 hours till the charge warning came on. I've had it 7 months, and the battery is just as good today.
One thing I did find was the usb charging via the pc never gave the battery full power, it always stalled at 95%. Since then I have always used the mains charger, WITH THE UNIT TURNED OFF. It charges from 15% to 100% in 3 1/4 hours this way.

One trick I have found (but not with the sgp), when the device shows charged, unplug it for about 10 minutes, then plug it in again. My phone charges for a further 30minutes. Most devices have an overcharge circuit that cuts the charging before it is full.

hope this helps,
marcel

Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 AM

I've found that my 4.0, which obviously has the smaller battery, charges from nothing, or near nothing to 100% in pretty much exactly 2 1/2 hours. If I disconnect it from the mains soon after it's finished and switch it on, like many people have said it's either only showing 95% or drop to it very quickly. However, if I don't go and unplug it for a while (usually simply because I'm in the middle of doing something) when I unplug it and switch it on it shows the full 100%

My point is that you might not need to unplug it and wait then plug it in again since I just leave mine in longer in the first place.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The SGP's seem to give too many erroneous messages when it comes to battery charge & 3rd party apps. I just charge it every few days and deal with it.
I agree. Mine has always behaved this way. The compass doesn't work correctly either but I don't need that.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:11 PM

13 months on, battery still lasts 9 hours playing video. Battery still charges in 3 1/4 hours to 100%.

never had any of the issues that have been reported here.

I still believe conditioning the battery is the key, as proven by my test results.

marcel

Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Something that I recently discovered which may be worth mentioning with regards to battery life...

I recently decided to try alternative lock screens. The basic swipe-overlay on my European (Froyo) player was always a bit boring so I was hoping to get something customisable or at least more appealing. Nearly all lock screen apps require Go Launcher (or similar) which I've never really been to interested in, but I did find couple that worked on their own. However, when I tested them they sucked the life out of the battery.

A five hour test (leaving the player doing nothing with the screen off) used up about 3%
I also found that the default lockscreen wasn't always disabled so I added "No Lock" app to do the job... next 5 hour test sapped 10% :amazed:

Removing both, so everything was back to default, and leaving it for nearly 10 hours (not deliberate, just how it turned out) and it didn't seem to drop even 1% until I started using it.

I had noticed that using the lockscreens built into audio players drained the battery but didn't give it much thought, I just chose not to use them.

I'll just leave things as default and save the battery. I also assume that things like Go Launcher have similar effects. I also imagine rooting and romming is a better route all round, but that's really not my area