android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Default Good general use Headphones - gaming, music, movies - $500/ £320 budget

Size and looks don't matter no matter how ridiculous they may appear as I intend to use this at home only.
I've been using the Earsonics SM3's for a while now, but I just want a change and try out some good old full sized headphones.

Really I'm looking to use this for my Alienware laptop. So use for gaming, music and movies come to mind.
I guess I may even use these for the Cowon J3's I have also. Having an attached microphone for gaming isn't necessary I can always buy that separate.

So far I'm looking at:
- Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME Pro Gaming Headset
- Sennheiser HD 595

$500/ £320 budget is what I have.
I don't have a portable amp either. I'd rather buy an amp and a headphone within the budget if it will make things sound a lot better rather than blowing away $500 on something that isn't going to give me it's all.

Any other recommendations? I need something as soon as possible.
Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

$500!!! GTFOH!!! LOL,...the world is your oyster,...

Old 12-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you wind up going with the 595, get a 555 and search "555 make it a 595" on youtube. The only difference between the two phones are a little bit of foam in the 555 that you can remove.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
If you wind up going with the 595, get a 555 ...
Why stop there, the 650s are easily attainable with that budget and enough left over for a nice little amp.

*I've never gamed with mine but music and movies are total bliss

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-04-2011, 06:24 PM

I have my VOIP headset separate from my main headphones:
VOIP etc = Plantronics usb headset, model number is something like dsp-500, they kick ass. Plug and play, good sound, built in microphone, expendable in a gamer rage.
Everything else = Sennheiser hd 555

Guys, even if you have a big budget to play with it does not mean you have to spend it all.

It'll really depend on what's the most important for you. The suggestions that came already are solid, but more towards a high end audio type of use. You probably will not notice the difference when playing call of duty.

Built in microphones are very handy. So are in-line volume controls and microphone mute buttons. Having everything run off one usb port is great too.

If you are going to be using it with a laptop you'll probably want to stay away from really huge setups that require amping and the like. Actually I would almost just go straight to a gaming headset with an external sound card. That way you bypass any problems you might have with the source.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
$500!!! GTFOH!!! LOL,...the world is your oyster,...
Heh I wish, I thought IEM's went to ridiculous prices, some headphones out there are at insane prices so I had to put a budget on in case someone crazy came up with suggesting HD 800's and well beyond that even!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
If you wind up going with the 595, get a 555 and search "555 make it a 595" on youtube. The only difference between the two phones are a little bit of foam in the 555 that you can remove.
I was thinking of 595 but then I had my eyes set on the 600's or even 650's. Cheers for the tip though, that's ridiculous with the just foam difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Why stop there, the 650s are easily attainable with that budget and enough left over for a nice little amp.

*I've never gamed with mine but music and movies are total bliss
I am looking at 600/650's now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Guys, even if you have a big budget to play with it does not mean you have to spend it all.
Very true! But all that stash is there to spend just in case :P

When I want a headphone for both gaming and music it's a hard choice sideways, whichever way I go I will be missing out.
I've looked at various video/web reviews for gaming headsets. It's very confusing for me as reviews contradict each other and reading gamers comments on videos are a total mess, but still amusing as they all end up arguing and strangling with each other lol.

I think the best approach now would be what you have done, have two separate (eventually) headphones. So for now I will concentrate on one purely for music and movies as I'll most likely be used for those purposes more.
The laptop I have is big, maybe too big to be even called a laptop. Alienware mx18 might as well be classed as a portable desktop. It rarely gets taken off the desk, so I wouldn't mind too much if a slightly chunky amp sits beside it. Gaming wise I've noticed that people have suggested to use headsets with an Astro mixamp.

Has anyone owned 555>650's and noticed a huge difference in sound quality?

BTW I used to own a Headstage Arrow 3g but it went 'walkies'; lost or stolen. I can just imagine who ever got it thought it was some cheap paper weight and sold it off for a few bucks!

Anyways being in the UK the cheapest HD 650's (without searching too hard) is here around £260/ $400. Leaves me say £60/$100 on an amp.
Certainly isn't going to be no Headstage but what decent amp can I get for $100? Doesn't have to be portable either if it means I can get something close enough to headtstage. Sorry to go off topic on the amp part but it is something I will need with my headphone.

I may not go as far as the 650's depending on the answers I might get. Hopefully I can conclude my final pruchase soon.

Thanks everyone, appreciate your replies given

Old 12-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't even want to look into phones that cost that much. I will get jealous and hate you.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:21 PM

You can find good owned HD600's/HD650's in great condition for ~£150 (just like mine), leaving £170 for an amp if you so desire.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:38 PM

Aside from the HD650, you could also get a Denon AH-D2000 or even AH-D5000 if you're in the mood for a more punchy sound. If you're more into good mid-centric sound, there are a few Grados which could be worth your attention (SR225i/SR325i).

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 12-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Redneck Moderator

At home only? Get some speakers, they kill headphones.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 12-05-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I don't even want to look into phones that cost that much. I will get jealous and hate you.
Who knows I might end up getting something far cheaper than expected, then you might not hate me as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by acbluflame View Post
You can find good owned HD600's/HD650's in great condition for ~£150 (just like mine), leaving £170 for an amp if you so desire.
That would be nice, in fact I already have my eyes on one used

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienbasse View Post
Aside from the HD650, you could also get a Denon AH-D2000 or even AH-D5000 if you're in the mood for a more punchy sound. If you're more into good mid-centric sound, there are a few Grados which could be worth your attention (SR225i/SR325i).
I listen to all sorts, so I need a good all rounder. Have you tried out the hd650's?
What's your personal take on the HD650 vs AH-D2000 vs SR325i.

The Denon AH-D2000's are slightly cheaper to buy new than the 650's, but if they're rated better than the 650's then that's a bigger bonus. Grado SR325iS I can just about get for the same price as the 650's new.

What's your verdict?

Thanks

Old 12-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Bayer Dynamic DT770,...those really kick azz!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
At home only? Get some speakers, they kill headphones.
I don't think I could wear them outdoors, it would look waay to alien hah, I'm happy with the SM3 IEM's for outdoors.
Thinking about it I can't even remember the last time I've seen someone walking by with some full sized headphones on

True I'd rather blast some speakers nice and loud, unfortunately my old frail neighbours wouldn't take too lightly to such rumblings. At least at 3am I don't have to worry about the volume with a nice headphone set

Old 12-05-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Bayer Dynamic DT770,...those really kick azz!!!
Ohhh? Beyerdynamic DT 770? Is that what you're using?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyt View Post
Ohhh? Beyerdynamic DT 770? Is that what you're using?
I wish!!! I wanted the 32ohm model,...too expensive for my tastes. I got the ATH Pro700MK2 instead. I stretched out the headband and they're quite comfy now - but they're no DT770 in the comfort dept. SQ wise, I really can't say - I never had the pleasure of hearing them, just trying them on for comfort,...

Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM

So long as you're happy with your kit

It's a real bummer when one can't try expensive headphones before you buy, and the only thing that's physically available at the stores around my end are crappy $15 $ony earphones... no need to try those out

Just about all headphones that have been mentioned here have very good reviews, it's just hard to pick one unless there's someone who's experienced listening to them and can tell me hands down what's the best from the lot.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, $500 is a big budget. You can easily obtain the HD 650 plus a very good amp for $500.

Also, if you like Beyerdynamic, why stop at the DT 770, you can get the DT 990 600OHM for under $350.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 PM

The thing is that headphones are not created equal and "best" is a slippery concept.

Different people will find different sound signatures more appealing and different designs more comfortable. There really is no way to pinpoint what the best headphone is. The best headphone is the one you enjoy using most.

I wouldn't drop top dollar unless you are sure of what you want. Just saying... you might go all in on a pair of balanced headphones only do discover you really wanted bass heavy headphones or as syndrome said prefer speakers.

Decisions decisions decisions.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Yeah, $500 is a big budget. You can easily obtain the HD 650 plus a very good amp for $500.

Also, if you like Beyerdynamic, why stop at the DT 770, you can get the DT 990 600OHM for under $350.
Yup indeeeedy.
But the problem still lies amongst all these lovely quality list of heaphones... which wins the 'general listening' title.

Any rich kids here with a whole warehouse full of headphones that can give me some insight?

Btw anyone please feel free to list some good amps also, cheers!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Well you've already got a large list. The choice is up to you.

I'd lean towards the Sennheiser line for good all-rounders. Walkgood's suggestion of the 650's is solid if you are willing to go that high. Go for the 555's or the new 558 version if you don't want to pay that much.

If you want to go bass heavy (correct me if I'm wrong about the sound on them) look at Beyerdynamics selection.

Or go a completely different route. Get a plantronics gaming headset (plantronics gamecon 777 perhaps) and a set of good speakers.