android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 12-03-2011, 04:58 AM

Exclamation STeVEs Custom Kernel and ROM for YP-G1 (Galaxy S WiFi 4.0 EU + USA Version)

Hi all,
I'm glad to announce the first custom kernel and rom for YP-G1 - Galaxy S WiFi 4.0 EU and USA version
IMPORTANT NOTICE: DON'T TRY TO INSTALL ON A galaxy S wifi 5.0 player or a Korean Galaxy S wifi 4.0 => It will brick your device

Kernel changelog:
[CURRENT KERNELS]

STeVE's Kernel 3.0
-Based on STeVE's kernel 2.1
-Added all major cpu governors (interactive, interactivex, smartassv2, lazy). Interactive is now the default one for good responsivity
-Added all major I/O schedulers (sio,v(r),bfq,...). SIO is the default one
-Maximized SD card read speed with read ahead
-Init.d script support (Klin's patch)
-Overclock and undervoltage support
At default, no overclock is applied. Kernel is tweaked for good battery/performance ratio. If you want you can tune your parameters using SetCPU (available on market) or similar programs.

USA Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59125319/STeVEs-3.0-USA.tar

EU Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59125319/STeVEs-3.0-EU.tar

[OLD KERNELS]

STeVE's Kernel 2.1 for YP-G1 USA only (thanks sandro87 for testing)
-Based on Original XXKPQ Kernel
-Added Voodoo sound patches
-Added ClockWorkMod Recovery: you can flash zip updates, backup/restore the whole rom, mount storage on recovery and more
-Can work with XXKPN and XXKPQ stock samsung rom.
-To use voodoo sound you need, after kernel flashing with odin, to install Voodoo control or Voodoo Control Plus
NOTE: Don't use ROM Manager: it's a modified version of CWM so it won't work correctly
Download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59125319/STeVEs-2.1-USA.tar

STeVE's Kernel 2.1 for YP-G1 EU only
-Added ClockWorkMod Recovery: you can flash zip updates, backup/restore the whole rom, mount storage on recovery and more
-To use voodoo sound you need, after kernel flashing with odin, to install Voodoo control or Voodoo Control Plus
NOTE: Don't use ROM Manager: it's a modified version of CWM so it won't work correctly
Download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59125319/STeVEs-2.1-EU.tar

ROM Changelog - only for YP-G1 EU:
-Contains the STeVE's Kernel 1.0. If you want to update to kernel 2.1, flash it after flashing the rom
-Based on original XXKPQ samsung stock rom
-Contains root and superuser permissions
-Tweaked theme: honeycomb statusbar icons, transparent notification pane, ICS windows effects
-CRT screen off animation
-If you start from a XXKPN or XXKPQ you can skip wipe to keep your existing applications and settings
Download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59125319/steves-10.tar

Some notes:
Kernels contain Voodoo sound, clockworkmod recovery and are available for EU and USA versions. After flashing the kernel you will not notice any change. You have to download and install manually Voodoo Control or Voodoo Control Plus applications to use Voodoo Sound. Voodoo sound gives you louder music, better S/N ratio (less hissing and noise), overall better sound quality and a useful hardware bass boost feature without affecting battery life.
Voodoo sound patches are developed by supercurio, I only integrated that in my kernel for galaxy player.

ROM contains some graphical tweaks (theme), new window animations (ice cream sandwich style) and a standard CRT off screen animation. ROM is available only for EU galaxy players. For USA is not available and will not be available but if you are skilled enough you can use UOT kitchen to customize your theme (Be sure you have a original ROM backup in case you brick).
Please flash the latest STeVE's 2.1 kernel after ROM flashing.

Flashing guide (thanks stryfewalker):

1) Before flashing the kernel, the Samsung USB drivers must be installed. To do this install Samsung Kies Suite (Recommended) or install them manually.
2) Download and install Odin 1.85
3) Download the right kernel for your player (EU or USA version)
4) Extract the zip file. Inside there is a tar flashable with ODIN
5) Put your player in DOWNLOAD MODE (With the device powered off press simultaneously Power button, menu button and volume down button until a green android symbol appears)
6) open ODIN and connect your player via usb
7) in ODIN window select PDA and choose the packet tar you want to flash. (must use the .tar file, do not extract the .tar)
8) Make sure Re-Partition in unselected (OR YOU WILL BRICK THE DEVICE)
9) Press start and wait for the end of the procedure (don't disconnect the device until flashing is complete or you will brick the device)

Note: Please try this at your own risk. I will not be responsible for bricked devices
Attached Files
File Type: zip STeVEs-2.1-EU.zip (6.61 MB, 62 views)
File Type: zip STeVEs-2.1-USA.zip (6.62 MB, 111 views)

Last edited by -SteveS-; 04-05-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Version 3.0

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
Hi all,
I'm glad to announce the first custom kernel and rom for YP-G1 - Galaxy S WiFi 4.0 European Version.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: DON'T TRY TO INSTALL ON A galaxy S wifi 5.0 player or a USA or Korean Galaxy S wifi 4.0 => It will brick your device

Kernel changelog:
STeVE's Kernel 1.0

Here's the link to the kernel flashable tar with Odin:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UPN6K810

ROM Changelog:
-Contains the latest STeVE's Kernel 1.0: you don't need to flash separately
-Tweaked theme: honeycomb statusbar icons, transparent notification pane, ICS windows effects
-CRT screen off effect
-If you start from a XXKPN or XXKPQ you can skip wipe to keep your existing applications and settings

Here's the link to the rom flashable TAR with ODIN:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N5WZYYK0

ODIN flash instructions:
1) Put your player in DOWNLOAD MODE (With the device powered off press simultaneously Power button, menu button and volume down button until a green android symbol appears)
2) open ODIN and connect your player via usb
3) in ODIN window select PDA and choose the packet tar you want to flash
4) Keep sure Re-Partition in unselected (OR YOU WILL BRICK THE DEVICE)
5) Press start and Wait the end of the procedure (don't disconnect the device until flashing is complete or you will brick the device)

Note: Please try this at your own risk. I will not be responsible for bricked devices
You should post your work into XDA! can we overclock with your kernel or rom?

EDIT: My odin said that your md5 is invalid.
EDIT2: Suggestion: I don't know if this is possible but if this rom can get the camcorder record up to 720p?

Last edited by zacp2; 12-03-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
You should post your work into XDA! can we overclock with your kernel or rom?

EDIT: My odin said that your md5 is invalid.
EDIT2: Suggestion: I don't know if this is possible but if this rom can get the camcorder record up to 720p?
Which part has invalid md5, rom or kernel?
Enabling 720p recording may be possible but it's quite diffcult. We need someone expert in writing kernel video drivers

EDIT: Please remove .md5 from the filename to make it work.. I'll fix it as soon as possible

Last edited by -SteveS-; 12-03-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Hi all,
I'm glad to announce the first custom kernel and rom for YP-G1 - Galaxy S WiFi 4.0 European Version.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: DON'T TRY TO INSTALL ON A galaxy S wifi 5.0 player or a USA or Korean Galaxy S wifi 4.0 => It will brick your device

Kernel changelog:
STeVE's Kernel 1.0

Here's the link to the kernel flashable tar with Odin:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UPN6K810

ROM Changelog:
-Contains the latest STeVE's Kernel 1.0: you don't need to flash separately

Here's the link to the rom flashable TAR with ODIN:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N5WZYYK0

ODIN flash instructions:
1) Put your player in DOWNLOAD MODE (With the device powered off press simultaneously Power button, menu button and volume down button until a green android symbol appears)
2) open ODIN and connect your player via usb
3) in ODIN window select PDA and choose the packet tar you want to flash
4) Keep sure Re-Partition in unselected (OR YOU WILL BRICK THE DEVICE)
5) Press start and Wait the end of the procedure (don't disconnect the device until flashing is complete or you will brick the device)

If there is anything in the world to help you make a custom rom on the us version please dont hesitate to ask me. Ill be more than happy to help you with whatever i can do.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Which part has invalid md5, rom or kernel?
Enabling 720p recording may be possible but it's quite diffcult. We need someone expert in writing kernel video drivers

EDIT: Please remove .md5 from the filename to make it work.. I'll fix it as soon as possible
I can confirm that it works great Nice job!! I like the ICS animations as well as custom boot animations :P The only downside i see is that there blue lines. I had a 1404 score on quadrant. That is very good job!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Banned

Do you plan to port this to other models too? Also would this work on the international/Taiwan & Hong Kong Version? It is pretty much the same with the EU version because it doesn't have a DMB antenna from the Korean version and it has a physical home button unlike the US version.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNB1tch View Post
Do you plan to port this to other models too? Also would this work on the international/Taiwan & Hong Kong Version? It is pretty much the same with the EU version because it doesn't have a DMB antenna from the Korean version and it has a physical home button unlike the US version.
It works as I have the hong kong version too. Internationnal version is ALL the variants of the galaxy s wifi which have the physical home button and NO DMB antenna. which means all the europe, south america and SEA region devices (hong kong, taiwan, singapore) are a internationnal version I think. (If people don't know what are the differences.) Also if you want to take the rom, remove the .md5 at the extension, otherwise odin will say that the md5 is invalid.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
It works as I have the hong kong version too. Internationnal version is ALL the variants of the galaxy s wifi which have the physical home button and NO DMB antenna. which means all the europe, south america and SEA region devices (hong kong, taiwan, singapore) are a internationnal version I think. (If people don't know what are the differences.) Also if you want to take the rom, remove the .md5 at the extension, otherwise odin will say that the md5 is invalid.
But your device is flashed to the French ROM which supports it (XXKPQ) while my ROM (ZSKP7) is the original ROM. I do not want to flash it to the French ROM because I read that they both are the same and I use my locale on this ROM. Also if people want to uninstall this do you just flash back to your rom?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
But your device is flashed to the French ROM which supports it (XXKPQ) while my ROM (ZSKP7) is the original ROM. I do not want to flash it to the French ROM because I read that they both are the same and I use my locale on this ROM. Also if people want to uninstall this do you just flash back to your rom?
Well if you use the locale it means that you are from there. I have a solution. You can upgrade to the france rom and download from the market morelocale 2 (I used this because there no french canada) You can basically add any language from any country and it will translate to any language the application can support. If you want to uninstall this you can flash back to your original rom.
I hope this helps.

EDIT: I want to know what is the sound thing in the kernel and rom. What does this thing do?

Old 12-03-2011, 11:11 PM

Hey, great work!
Same question as guy earlier; HOW CAN I POSSIBLY HELP TO GET THIS ON THE U.S. VERSION? Your wish is my command!

Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Well if you use the locale it means that you are from there. I have a solution. You can upgrade to the france rom and download from the market morelocale 2 (I used this because there no french canada) You can basically add any language from any country and it will translate to any language the application can support. If you want to uninstall this you can flash back to your original rom.
I hope this helps.

EDIT: I want to know what is the sound thing in the kernel and rom. What does this thing do?
Voodoo sound patches fully unleash the gread potential of the wolfson wm8994 DAC inside galaxy S wifi 4.0 (the 5.0 version has a yamaha dac like SGSII which is far worse). Supercurio is the guy which studied the codec and corrected the Samsung's buggy implementation of the codec driver. With voodoo sound you can control the analog amplification of the DAC so that putting the android digital volume to the max and lowering analog amplification you can remove the hissing described here (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...1&postcount=63). He also tweaked audio paths to reduce distortion and to greatly improve audio from FM radio chip.
There is also a hardware equalizer used for now with a optional quality bass boost feature, and in the future he promised a fully parametri equalizer. To know more go to: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=806195
To use voodoo sound you need to install VOODOO control or VOODOO control plus application, search with google.
[EDIT]: You can download the latest Voodoo control 1.07 (which is free) from here: http://dl.project-voodoo.org/apps/
Voodoo control plus is the same app with bass boost feature added but is a paid app to support the author

For the other guy asking for KR or USA version please don't install it. The kernel is partially different (for KR there are differences for touchscreen and DMB and for usa with the capacitive home button) and can make your devices unusable.

Last edited by -SteveS-; 12-04-2011 at 01:51 AM.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 AM

HI steves,

May I know, Can we have any shortcut to install the voodoo patch/audio driver instead of flashing the custom kernal? THX !!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 AM

wait you were actually able to enable voodoo sound?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Voodoo sound patches fully unleash the gread potential of the wolfson wm8994 DAC inside galaxy S wifi 4.0 (the 5.0 version has a yamaha dac like SGSII which is far worse). Supercurio is the guy which studied the codec and corrected the Samsung's buggy implementation of the codec driver. With voodoo sound you can control the analog amplification of the DAC so that putting the android digital volume to the max and lowering analog amplification you can remove the hissing described here (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...1&postcount=63). He also tweaked audio paths to reduce distortion and to greatly improve audio from FM radio chip.
There is also a hardware equalizer used for now with a optional quality bass boost feature, and in the future he promised a fully parametri equalizer. To know more go to: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=806195
To use voodoo sound you need to install VOODOO control or VOODOO control plus application, search with google.
[EDIT]: You can download the latest Voodoo control 1.07 (which is free) from here: http://dl.project-voodoo.org/apps/
Voodoo control plus is the same app with bass boost feature added but is a paid app to support the author

For the other guy asking for KR or USA version please don't install it. The kernel is partially different (for KR there are differences for touchscreen and DMB and for usa with the capacitive home button) and can make your devices unusable.
So this thing can make the sound super clear and make big bass?? (will it break my earphones??)

EDIT: If you were able to make a custom rom and a kernel. Can you make a custom recovery (like clockworkmod?) If you don't want can you explain me how to port it because I search this since a long time and want to do a nandroid backup?

Last edited by zacp2; 12-04-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandro87 View Post
wait you were actually able to enable voodoo sound?
Yes, the kernel enables voodoo sound. To use it you need to flash kernel and then to install one of the two apps mentioned above.

For the moment if you want voodoo sound, flashing kernel is mandatory until supercurio will (if he will) support our players directly with his app.
The kernel is the original samsung one with only voodoo sound addition.

For CWM, maybe in the future...

Old 12-04-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, the kernel enables voodoo sound. To use it you need to flash kernel and then to install one of the two apps mentioned above.

For the moment if you want voodoo sound, flashing kernel is mandatory until supercurio will (if he will) support our players directly with his app.

NOOOOOO (for the CWM)
I want to download the kernel but it says that the file is unavailable.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Awesome! Unfortunately I have the US version! Did you notice a difference in sound?
Waiting for a kernel for the US version too

Last edited by sandro87; 12-04-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

I meant would this work for the Hong Kong/Taiwan version with the stock rom G1ZSKC7. I read that it works with the flashed French ROM but I am too lazy to flash to the French ROM.
(Edit) Will the ROM and Kernel work with the same hardware since the EU and HK/Taiwan are the same or is it the ROM?

Last edited by BMNB1tch; 12-04-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
I meant would this work for the Hong Kong/Taiwan version with the stock rom G1ZSKC7. I read that it works with the flashed French ROM but I am too lazy to flash to the French ROM.
(Edit) Will the ROM and Kernel work with the same hardware since the EU and HK/Taiwan are the same or is it the ROM?
Flash it only if you have you're original rom to reflash in case something go wrong. This rom won't change bootloaders so you will be able to reflash the original rom but only if you have the flashable tar available.
If you're 100% sure the hardware is the same, then flash rom and kernel or wait until someone tries to do that

Old 12-05-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandro87 View Post
Awesome! Unfortunately I have the US version! Did you notice a difference in sound?
Of course the audio output is audibly improved (at least with my sennheiser ie8s ). Output power is greatly increased too thanks to the analog gain control.
The bass boost feature is great too: bass are not boomy but controlled instead and there is no distortion thanks to the hw DRC.
All credits go to Supercurio: he is the author. I only integrated his patches in YP-G1 kernel.