android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM

Default Need help finding IEM for Samsung Galaxy S II...

So for a long time I used a rooted HTC hero running Cyanogen mod. I must say for an older device media content sounded AMAZING on this little phone with a variety of different IEMS.

Most recently I've been using the Kipsch S4s but they have since started to die on me and alas, I cant find my receipt or packaging so Im now in the market for something new.

My 2 year contract was up and I immediately went out and bought the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 2. This phone would be perfect except... The sound quality is NOTICEABLY worse than my Hero. I'm no audiophile, but even I noticed it.

I read (I think it was somewhere on this website) that they changed their DAC from a wolfson one to a yamaha one.

I have since downloaded an EQ app for the phone which has improved the sound, but not to my liking. Keep in mind I'm currently using some 'maximo' earbuds I stole from my brother ;-)

I listen to a variety of music. Everything from solo acoustic guitar arrangements to trance, classic rock, pop etc. I'm looking for an IEM thats decent at just about everything, but doesnt have to be exceptional at all. I'd like to stay under 200 dollars and for it to be somewhat durable. My last IEMs both started flaking after about a year.

I've been looking at the Triplefi 10s and most recently the Yamaha-eph-100 seems to be a pretty tremendous value.

On a side note, I pretty much do all my media through my phone. Google music, pandora, slacker etc. Would adding a small portable amp help and can you recommend one?

Thank you all!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-02-2011, 09:17 PM

So after some research on head-fi it appears the GSII does have a hardware limitation that pretty much prevents it from sounding great.

I wish I had known this before buying the phone as I intended my next phone purchase to basically be a DAP as well.

Oh well its only 2 years...

Old 12-02-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcazmo View Post
So after some research on head-fi it appears the GSII does have a hardware limitation that pretty much prevents it from sounding great.

I wish I had known this before buying the phone as I intended my next phone purchase to basically be a DAP as well.

Oh well its only 2 years...
Did you buy this phone unlocked? If not, can you switch it with your cellular provider?

Also, amps won't help if the problem lies with your audio source. I've also read about the problem (from Anandtech) but I never knew that the Yahamas would make that big a difference in audio quality.

When you say you don't need it to be exceptional do you mean that you don't want any particular aspects to stand out, or just that you don't need the IEMs to excel in any particular aspect?

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Last edited by mbamg; 12-02-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

for that phone I personally woudlnt spend big money because of the source. you will get a limited return. instead buy something like the soundmagic e10 (I have a set and love it) or e30 and look into PowerAmp and Voodoo control (if compatible) apps to help your device. I wanted the S2 and was all excited about it..until feedback on the yamaha dac started rolling in. instead I went backwards and got an SG1 with the wolfson. I dont really miss my clip +. I do miss my cowon still but poweramp helped. Once I get vooodoo rolling maybe I will only look back at the cowon with fond memories. maybe.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 AM

I suspect that Samsung is having a problem with sound product-wide. I tried a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus -- great tablet but the volume kept jumping up and down, so back it went. The 4.0 Player (USA) has sound problems. The original Tab 7.0 (even the WiFi version) has pretty good sound.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
I suspect that Samsung is having a problem with sound product-wide. I tried a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus -- great tablet but the volume kept jumping up and down, so back it went. The 4.0 Player (USA) has sound problems. The original Tab 7.0 (even the WiFi version) has pretty good sound.
Maybe they switched all of their products to Yamaha. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket..

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:21 PM

Alas it's too late to return the product.

I emailed Samsung directly and they recommended I contact my service provider (Sprint). Seems pretty silly to me since I specifically commented on the HARDWARE issues and was under the impression that Sprint had nothing to do with that.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new PMP! Must have android (I cant live without google music now) and wifi as most of my media consumption revolved around the aforementioned Google music, pandora, slacker, etc.

Also researching IEMS for said future purchase

What I meant about not having to stand out was a pretty darn good IEM for basically all genres of music.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

This is not a direct solution to your problem, but why don't you purchase a Sansa Clip+/Zip? For a relatively minimal purchase you will have instant sound gratification.