android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Off Topic > Random Chat

Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 AM

Does this BBE app sound better than EQu or Equalizer in anyone's opinion? I'll probably end up getting it anyway to play around with but was curious to hear some thoughts.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Yes, to me BBE sounds fuller and approaches BBE on my X7. To be clear, however, it currently doesn't provide gapless playback and albums cannot be played in it's entirety sorted by artists. Regardless, IMO it's still a nice enhancement to have and I am useing it on a regular bases.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
... it currently doesn't provide gapless playback and albums cannot be played in it's entirety sorted by artists. ...
Deal breaker, /me cancels ipod order

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-07-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, to me BBE sounds fuller and approaches BBE on my X7. To be clear, however, it currently doesn't provide gapless playback
Thanks. But do any iOS EQ apps have gapless?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Yes, both EQu and Equalizer. There is also an SRS app (Forgot yhe name because my Touch is not with me, but I believe it's My Music) that supports gapless. I have all 4 apps so I just choose which is the most appropriate one to use.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:25 AM

^ ah interesting, I never noticed they did. I usually listen to my music on shuffle and occasionally whole albums but must have never listened to one that was gapless. *edit* - Actually I just tried one in EQu and it definitely doesn't support gapless.... there was the tiniest gap. I tried it in the iPod player just to be sure it wasn't my files and it was flawless, no gap at all.

I love Equalizer but it was just too glitchy for me, especially when it's changing to the next song. 1 times out of 5 it would spazz out and plays two tracks at once and/or skip really bad, so trying a gapless album might be out of the question. I've been pretty happy with EQu ever since, except for a few things like not being able to view albums under artists and not having a play queue or the ability to enqueue songs/albums.

So I ended up trying out the BBE app and was not really all that impressed. Most of my files are 320kbps mp3s and sound awesome in EQu and just okay in BBE. Maybe my ears are just so used to EQu that the change in sound is awkward? Plus I love mind-numbing bass for certain music and BBE doesn't provide it like EQu does. It just kind of sounds bloated when trying to get a decent thump. In fact I've never heard any portable player (CD, Mini Disc, DAP) be able to produce bass like EQu can. I feel a little cheated out of $5 but what can you do. Maybe it's my IEMs and over a stereo system/different IEMS/cans BBE would sound better.

Last edited by Machiventa; 12-30-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 AM

I use music+ almost exclusively now. No eq yet, but last.fm scrob, queue playlist system and the fact that they kept the same ui as the stock app sold me.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 12-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
^ ah interesting, I never noticed they did. I usually listen to my music on shuffle and occasionally whole albums but must have never listened to one that was gapless. *edit* - Actually I just tried one in EQu and it definitely doesn't support gapless.... there was the tiniest gap. I tried it in the iPod player just to be sure it wasn't my files and it was flawless, no gap at all.

I love Equalizer but it was just too glitchy for me, especially when it's changing to the next song. 1 times out of 5 it would spazz out and plays two tracks at once and/or skip really bad, so trying a gapless album might be out of the question. I've been pretty happy with EQu ever since, except for a few things like not being able to view albums under artists and not having a play queue or the ability to enqueue songs/albums.

So I ended up trying out the BBE app and was not really all that impressed. Most of my files are 320kbps mp3s and sound awesome in EQu and just okay in BBE. Maybe my ears are just so used to EQu that the change in sound is awkward? Plus I love mind-numbing bass for certain music and BBE doesn't provide it like EQu does. It just kind of sounds bloated when trying to get a decent thump. In fact I've never heard any portable player (CD, Mini Disc, DAP) be able to produce bass like EQu can. I feel a little cheated out of $5 but what can you do. Maybe it's my IEMs and over a stereo system/different IEMS/cans BBE would sound better.
I had the opposite experience with EQu and Equalizer.....EQu was the one that got glitchy on me. And then I got used to Equalizer and never looked back. For music and podcasts I still use it almost always.

SonicMax Pro is a work in progress, but it has promise. For one thing, I like the controls much better than going through the various Cowon menus....easy to make quick, fine adjustments to various things without having to go back and forth through menus.

That's important to me because I still think with BBE that it is easy to go a bit far and end up with an unnatural sound if you're not careful. Some people prefer that, and that's fine.....but not me.

If they resolve the gapless thing, I'll use it more.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Upgraded to the latest version, and it now supports gapless playback! Now, all they need to do is to have the ability to play albums according to artists, and IMO it will be the perfect player.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice!!!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Default Thread Revial!!!

The latest update pretty much gets rid of the annoyances of the earlier releases. Artists are finally able to get sorted by albums and gapless playback is fantastic. It is just as good or better than gapless enabled by Rockbox for other players and Cowon's implimentation for the X7 and J3. I compared gapless playback between SonicMax and the iPod's native music player and they are pretty much duplicated. At last, music bliss on my iPod Touch!

Last edited by musichound; 11-21-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm,...I see I need another iPod touch now. My 8yo really wanted my 32gb touch,...I finally caved in and gave it to him. He does great in skool so I really think he deserved it.

Now, either a 64gb 4G refurb, or a new 64gb 5G?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Hmmm,...I see I need another iPod touch now. My 8yo really wanted my 32gb touch,...I finally caved in and gave it to him. He does great in skool so I really think he deserved it.

Now, either a 64gb 4G refurb, or a new 64gb 5G?
5G all the way. The newer versions of iOS will end up choking the 4G sooner or later, if they haven't already.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Apple has the iPod touch 4G 64gb refurbs for $229.00 right now,...

I guess I'll just have to try a few playlists on my iPad mini when it arrives,...

Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Apple has the iPod touch 4G 64gb refurbs for $229.00 right now,...
That is a tempting offer....and I've heard that their refurbs always look and perform like new.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
5G all the way. The newer versions of iOS will end up choking the 4G sooner or later, if they haven't already.
Nah, as for me, IOS 6 runs perfectly fine on my 4G. Battery life sems just as good and performance is about the same also.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Nah, as for me, IOS 6 runs perfectly fine on my 4G. Battery life sems just as good and performance is about the same also.
I've read some comments about different equalizer apps running badly since the update over on another site. I don't doubt that running normally it would still work fine, but you know TDS and his EQ love...

Found it....
Quote:
Hi. I've been (happily) using Audioforge Equalizer for awhile. But since iOS6 came out it's become extremely unstable. I can't even pause without worrying about it crashing when I unpause. Combine this with the fact that I often listen to gapless(i.e Operation: Mindcrime, Scenes From A Memory, Dark Side of the Moon) or semi-gapless(i.e Fragile, Awake, In the Court of the Crimson King) albums and things get pretty frustrating. I think I might need a new EQ app. Any suggestions?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634650/need...g#post_8836026

That's a bummer, because I always preferred that EQ app over the others.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 12-01-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The EQ apps run great on iOS6. I had no issues at all on the 32gb. The other people on the other site just need to do a "Restore" after the update if hey have problems. I mean, it seems like you guys are the only few who can troubleshoot problems. Are we the only ones who try to think?

(Gawd!!! When will this Windows 8 installation finish,...???)

Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OK, found one of the comments.....in the post above.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Like I said, RESTORE!!! Besides, the dev also needs to get off their asses & update the apps when there's incompatibility issues. That may also be at fault. An email can do wonders,...posting the complaint in a forum that has nothing to do with the dev does jack schitt.