android
Old 06-15-2014, 07:30 AM

Default Linux read-only problem

So, I managed to do something that caused the contents of my J3 storage to not show up at all on the player when I turn it on. My extra SD card does, fortunately, still work as normal, otherwise I'd be extremely troubled.

I still get to see the contents of both when I plug it into my computer. However when I try to save anything to the original memory (as opposed to my extra SD card), I am told that the thing is read only.

Other symptoms of this are that something I deleted from the original part stayed in the wastebasket for ages before disappearing; however it has now gone and I am still none the wiser.

Any Linux people out there have ideas as to what might work here?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

In a *Nix OS if a drive gets marked read only it's a sign of file system problems. My guess is that you didn't delete the ."Trash files that have a leading "." that cause Cowons problems.

Not owning a J3 or being super savvy in Linux I don't have a definite answer on how to try to fix your problem. My guess is that if you fix the files system that would return the internal memory to a readable state. I'd check the manpage or whatever help system that's available for directions on how to repair a FAT32 DOS file system.

Be sure to not use another of the file systems available in Linux. The firmware resides on a hidden partition that isn't wiped when you deal with the drive as FAT. If you format or repartition the drive to another file system the firmware gets wiped and that bricks the DAP.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:52 PM

Thanks for your help; I'm now looking at reformating it with TCCtool.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Why TCCtool? I'd think it would be much simpler to check the manpage for the parameters to apply and let dosfsck do the job.

Either that or find a Windows machine to borrow for a few minutes to check the disk. There's virtually zero chance of screwing anything up using Windows built in disk tools. If it finds a problem it can't deal with it just quits and reports it can't finish the format or fix the problem with disks formatted as FAT.