android
Old 12-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Even if a 64GB micro SDXC card can work in a Clip+ or Fuze, the high price of the card makes it impractical. At around 4 or 5 times the price of a 32GB card, the price seems crazy. It is a much better idea to buy a second Clip+ or Clip Zip, and put a 32GB card in each.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I've turned off Rockboxed Clips and Fuzes hundreds of times during the database refresh with no bad effects ...
Good to know as I'm sure that it bricked my e260, as stated before so I never tried with the Clips.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I've turned off Rockboxed Clips and Fuzes hundreds of times during the database refresh with no bad effects.
Well, I did notice that RB would tend to boot up very sloooooowly on my Clip+ after I did that. As if the RTC weren't running properly or something. Eventually it'd recover to normal speed near the end of startup. This has never happened when turning off the player after "safe removal" and before unplugging. Only the updated last.fm log (when doing nothing but submitting play stats) apparently hadn't been written yet occasionally.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I've turned off Rockboxed Clips and Fuzes hundreds of times during the database refresh with no bad effects. Can't recall doing it on a E2xx. I'm pretty sure I didn't though. I had learned the hard way not to mess with anything the OF was doing. Besides that the card sizes were so small before USB was enabled in Rockbox on the V1 the refresh was never more than a few minutes.

Doesn't seem like I'll be doing it again any time soon. USB support was enabled yesterday and is working well on my Rockboxed Sansas.
First, sorry for my bad english
I turned off durung db refresh on on a fuzev2 and on a zip and the players
did a weird rockbox boot once or maybe twice.The build ond the fuze is 3.9.1
Later, the micro$oft's scandisk gave some "FAT constains wrong information of xxxx.mp3" etc, on the microsdhc,(succcesfully fixed)but
i can't be sure db freeze was the cause,but the player itself and internal memory was ok,on the 3rd,4th,.. boots until now
I'll test last rocbox clipzip builds of the zip as mine still only charges,
as i i've had the temptation on switching off again while db refresh.
But im afraid that turning off while on the unlucky moment of the db
refresh, could leave a modern sansa as bricked as walkgood's e260.
The same card refresh on 4min on the fuze and on 11min on clip+ and clip zip !!!
: fuze v2, clip+, clipzip,LG: mffm15, mffm33, Treckstor ibeatcenso and my car's one!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowoniriver View Post
... could leave a modern sansa as bricked as walkgood's e260. ...
FYI the e260 was fixed and works fine today, I was just saying that since that bricked it, I never tried on the clips just in case.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So wait a minute, if i install rb 3.10 on my clip+, then connect usb cable to it (when its off) does it go to OF usb connection or rb usb connection? And when finished dragging songs across and pulling usb cable out does it still go to OF for database refresh?

What i'm getting at is, trying to avoid the OF database refresh and just simply drag a couple of new albums across then use rb to 'update database'. Is this possible? If so do u have to follow a particular process?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
FYI the e260 was fixed and works fine today, I was just saying that since that bricked it, I never tried on the clips just in case.
That's fine, nice to know that your e260 could be fixed,that makes me feel less coward as "beta-tester freak"

BruceBanner, i'm not sure but 3.10 usb functions may not be equal on diferent chipsets.My friend's fuze v1 goes "fully msc usb"
on 3.9.1 while my fuzev2 also 3.9.1, clip+ 3.7.1 and clibzip* doesn't
*still no loaded this week builds
I'm guess that dfkt,and many moderators/members know it better,but if i remember, it's needed more intensive/daily test to get sure there's no data-corruption on transfers,before put it on a "official/main" rb build
: fuze v2, clip+, clipzip,LG: mffm15, mffm33, Treckstor ibeatcenso and my car's one!

Last edited by cowoniriver; 12-14-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Administrator

USB support was enabled was enabled with r31226. That means you would need to use a current build not the 3.10 release. I don't know if USB support will be backported to the release version. If it isn't you would have to wait until the next release.

Despite the FUD that's being spread here about being a "beta-tester freak" you're almost always better using a current build over the release version. The latest updates are in the current release. You can start here and open out to the rest of the thread if you want to see what saratoga had to say before about which build to use .

Part of what I believe happens is people see the term "stable release" and they believe that it's somehow better than the current build. It's true that a current build *may* contain an undiscovered bug but I've never had any damage done aside from minor inconvenience by using current builds consistently. It's definitely true that any improvements that have been made since the release *will* be included in the current build.

If you decide to use a current build to avoid the database refresh that means you never boot to the OF. You don't see the database refresh screen because you never see the OF. The E250 I spoke of earlier has had USB support for more than 2 years and I would have to find a screenshot to remember what the database refresh screen looks like. It's been that long since I've seen the OF.

If you want to use the OF and boot to it the database will refresh. I've experimented with some firmware versions that caused that on my V1 Clip and Fuze but other than that it's the only time they have been in the OF.

So if you want to add songs to a Rockboxed player with USB support all you do is plug in, transfer your music and unplug. The Rockbox database can refresh in the background as you listen to any music that's available on the player including the new items. All the waiting to be able to access your files and player will be over. You won't have to be concerned about needing to force it off.

As far as forcing it off, I said exactly what my experience has been. I've done it hundreds of times with Fuzes and Clips with NO ill effects. No slow restarts or file corruption. And yeah, I know how to check for and deal with both.

I never tried doing it with a E2xx series player because that's a much more delicate firmware IMO. It would go belly up with no reason I could find when I was doing everything right. That stopped when I installed Rockbox.

I only had a 2 GB card in a 2 GB player and the refresh wasn't more that a minute or two so I never tried to speed it up. I was too afraid what happened to WalkGood would happen to mine. You can bring them back most of the time but I had one that I never could revive and that made me very cautious with trying unconventional stuff.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So it appears to avoid the OF refresh database with a RB clip u should connect to pc via usb when the player is switched on and in RB already? All this time i have been connecting when the player is off and i have noticed it is the OF usb connection mode pic i am seeing displayed, and of course when u pull the cable out it automatically goes into refresh database.

SO have i got that right?

I'll try it next time I have sum songs to throw across.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
So it appears to avoid the OF refresh database with a RB clip u should connect to pc via usb when the player is switched on and in RB already? All this time i have been connecting when the player is off and i have noticed it is the OF usb connection mode pic i am seeing displayed, and of course when u pull the cable out it automatically goes into refresh database.

SO have i got that right?

I'll try it next time I have sum songs to throw across.
I haven't updated my build in a couple days, because of the tremendous number of updates being pumped out, but that's what I did last time, yes.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 AM
Administrator

You say that like you've been missing a step or doing it wrong. What you describe is how it was for everyone until a few days ago when USB support was enabled for the AMSv2 Rockbox ports a few days ago.

For right now you would need to install a current build, boot to Rockbox and then connect. You should get a connection to Rockbox and be able to transfer your data. When you disconnect it will go back to Rockbox with no OF database refresh.

I've read where it will work like the other USB enabled targets like the V1 Clip, Fuze and E2xx series once they're sure USB is working properly. They connect in Rockbox if it's running or not are still there once you disconnect. No telling when that will be.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

... and then what is the correct method to update the RB with the new tracks? I think i normally do 'Update Database' or summin, is there a better quicker way?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
... and then what is the correct method to update the RB with the new tracks? I think i normally do 'Update Database' or summin, is there a better quicker way?
Not update database, but "initialize database" is what you want.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

cool, do u know what the difference between update and initialize is?

Old 12-16-2011, 03:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
cool, do u know what the difference between update and initialize is?
If I remember right, update can be set to automatically happen, but you can end up with dupes in the database(although the files themselves are not duplicated) . Initialize actually starts fresh and makes a new one.