android
Old 12-01-2011, 03:02 PM

Default How big a memory card can you put in a Clip+.

Hello, I wonder if someone could help me out. Just bought an 8gb Clip+ and I would like to know can I put a memory card greater than 8gb in it? And if so how big can it be. Cheers!!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

32GB

Old 12-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Thank you very much for the prompt reply Marvin!!!!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:01 PM

and it's going to take me over an hour to load it

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
32GB
Marvin is right, on my clip+
I also use a 32gb kingston class4, previously a 16gb kingson class2, also a 4 gb class 4.All worked ok with old and newer sandisk firmware and of course with rockbox.but now a brand new 8gb kingston class4 freezes booting!(but works on any non sansa device) All where bought on the same store, so i thing that size doesn´t matter but if you follow some threads here and on other sansa forums you will see that thereś some ramdon issues with in cards, small internal changes on same card model aren´t showed easily to costumers.
So if you get a card as big as you want and cross fingers.maybe if you buy sandisk card is the safer way...
: fuze v2, clip+, clipzip,LG: mffm15, mffm33, Treckstor ibeatcenso and my car's one!

Last edited by cowoniriver; 12-02-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowoniriver View Post
... so i thing that size doesn´t matter but if you follow some threads here and on other sansa forums you will see that thereś some ramdon issues with in cards ...
Size only up to 32gb, so it does matter and if you had issues with a card, did you try to first format the card with the SD Associations SDFormatter? Also FWIW the refresh db works much faster with rockbox so I loaded mine with a card reader vs the clip itself.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Size only up to 32gb, so it does matter and if you had issues with a card, did you try to first format the card with the SD Associations SDFormatter? Also FWIW the refresh db works much faster with rockbox so I loaded mine with a card reader vs the clip itself.
The card loads faster with my reader than it does inside the Zip, as well. Not hugely faster, but enough to make a difference loading that amount of music.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 PM

I just bought a 32gb class 4 for $30 on amazon today and the savings where quickly diminished when i broke my headphones by dropping my laptop while connected. i had to spend the savings on a soldering iron

Old 12-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
I just bought a 32gb class 4 for $30 on amazon today and the savings where quickly diminished when i broke my headphones by dropping my laptop while connected. i had to spend the savings on a soldering iron
Ouch! I feel for you; and my personal fear (well, one of them).

Old 12-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
... savings where quickly diminished when i broke my headphones by dropping my laptop while connected. i had to spend the savings on a soldering iron
Sorry to hear about the lappy & headphone trouble but the soldering iron is a good investment so it'll pay off in the long run for lots of other fixes ...

Old 12-05-2011, 03:13 PM

Surely the new 64GB cards will work as long as long as you don't go over the song limit?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimicitor View Post
Surely the new 64GB cards will work as long as long as you don't go over the song limit?
Those new cards are sdxc, not sdhc. Some have said you may be able to format them differently and make them work, but I'm no aware of anyone having done it with a Sansa player yet.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimicitor View Post
The new 64GB full size cards don't work in my older cameras because they only support SD and SDHC.

Heck the SDHC cards don't work in my oldest digital camera because it accepts SD only (up to 2GB). I've talked to several people who are annoyed because they bought an SDHC card and it doesn't work in their camera.

To me (without doing a lot of research), it's a hardware thing. If the hardware is designed to take SDXC then they will work. As far as I can tell, the Clip+ and Clip Zip were NOT designed to take SDXC cards.

Some of the problems being reported here with 32GB cards are probably volume related, ie too many songs, too many tags, etc. Do you really want to make it worse?

Steve

Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Administrator

It's been shown that it should work starting with this post in the CZ review thread. That was with a full size card being used through an adapter but the idea is the same. Until someone actually does it with a actual microsdxc card it won't be 100% verified for me.

For anyone that does it would seem Rockbox would be a necessity . If not they'll almost certainly go over the file limit. Maybe they won't go over the limit if they use FLAC but the probable hit on the battery life using FLAC in the OF wouldn't make it worth while to me.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Maybe i should have send this as a private msg , if that the case just tell me and i'll delete this myself
If you read the first line of fine previous post i have quoted &agreed with marvin the martian's 32gb, as you know, there is NO
microsdhc bigger than 32gb,but just a concrete brand or sub-model can get buggy with sansa's players (according to sandisk's forums),that's the main reason that made me say size "doesnt matter" ,anyway, even somesdxc64gb test went ok
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=307
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?...;topic=27212.0
(formating as fat 32)

The 8gb kingston class 4 the gave me the issue of hanging the boot of a fuzev2 rockboxed 3.9.1 ,but boot booted ok with another
8gb class4 kingston with same package but with different country factory (Different transistors?), both card where "0 problems" running scandisk and both working ok at other devices, in fact my nokia made dissasters on my 16gb kingston's F.A.T. an still could boot and work ok on the same fuzev2 and a clip+
: fuze v2, clip+, clipzip,LG: mffm15, mffm33, Treckstor ibeatcenso and my car's one!

Last edited by cowoniriver; 12-11-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:46 PM

Haven't a clue what you're trying to relay but all my kingston cards have worked fine in my old rb'd e260, haven't tried in the new zip but I'm sure it works ...

Old 12-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised to see some places selling 64GB SDHC cards once the price comes down, even though you're supposed to label SDHC cards above 32 GB as SDXC and format them with exFAT. Theres nothing stopping someone from doing that.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quick question then. When u drag new songs onto the clip then pull out the usb plug it automatically goes into sansas stock firmware refresh database mode. Is it safe to boot this down/turn off whilst its doing it, then once switched on again and in rockbox just do an 'update database' or whatever? Seems like im doing the same thing twice unnecessarily.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Quick question then. When u drag new songs onto the clip then pull out the usb plug it automatically goes into sansas stock firmware refresh database mode. Is it safe to boot this down/turn off whilst its doing it, then once switched on again and in rockbox just do an 'update database' or whatever? Seems like im doing the same thing twice unnecessarily.
I haven't tried it but I would say NO ... Turning a player off during a db refresh can brick a player, I can't say this is so with the Clip but I've done it on the old e200 and it did brick it (was fixable w/e200tool).

Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Administrator

I've turned off Rockboxed Clips and Fuzes hundreds of times during the database refresh with no bad effects. Can't recall doing it on a E2xx. I'm pretty sure I didn't though. I had learned the hard way not to mess with anything the OF was doing. Besides that the card sizes were so small before USB was enabled in Rockbox on the V1 the refresh was never more than a few minutes.

Doesn't seem like I'll be doing it again any time soon. USB support was enabled yesterday and is working well on my Rockboxed Sansas.