android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-29-2011, 10:36 AM

Question Someone have tried the Razer Orca?

Hi.
I have currently a Sennheiser HD202 and a Creative Fatal1ty headset. They have both the same problem : they press the ears and it hurts after a little while and I feel that they are not totally covering my ears. On top of that, I'm wearing glasses so it doesn't help.

I've seen a couple of reviews of the Razer Orca. They are said that they are extremely confortable and have amazing sound quality for the price.

I'm searching for a pair that doesn't hurt my ears over time, a pair that totally cover my ears and has a very sound quality. The Orca seem to fulfill what I'm searching for and they are 55$ on newegg.ca. The color is not a problem (florescent green).

Any opinion on this pair of headphone?
Thanks!

On newegg.ca : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16826153060
On Razer : http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...ctID.201805300

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 AM

I wouldn’t trust every review you’ve read unless you know the reviewers; they look like they’re over price for what they are. Most likely Chinese OEM headphones and the color is hideous IMHO ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A buddy at work has a set of the Carcharias...he loves them. I tried them for about 5 minutes. Comfortable for sure. sounds was OK. not great not bad. He get them for about $40. for that headset and mic that isnt bad IMO

Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM

@WalkGood Like I said, the color isn't a problem because the functionnalities took over.
@IDvsEGO 5min is not like using them all day. I know that the Carcharias are the Orca but with a mic. And, I've read that the sound is at the audiophile level for the price.

I don't want to pay 500$ for a pair of very good sounding headphones. I want them to be very confortable, to completely enveloppe my ears and have great sound.

Here are some reviews...
http://razetheworld.com/forum/topic/...view-amazing-4
http://forum.overclock3d.net/index.p...ew-razer-orca/
http://www.back2gaming.com/reviews/r...rca/?nggpage=2
http://www.gamerwok.com/main/2011/8/...w-gadgets.html < I think this one is very well written
Most of them come from gaming sites because... well, Razer is a company making gaming products in general.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

cool. I said I thought they were worth the money and that the owner is very happy with them. Not sure who you are trying to convince at this point. Go ahead and get them.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:00 PM

If you look around there are other very comfortable headphones that offer the same if not better sound quality within your budget. If you aren't looking for a gaming headset I wouldn't go for a Razer set, they are exceptional at making comfortable and good quality gaming gear, I've always been a fan as when I get into a game I often don't put it down until I've mastered it which means I tend to be wearing a headset for about 6 hours at a time so it has to be painless. The major point is though that I prefer other headphones for my music, gaming companies rely on selling headsets through their ability to help you react better to whats going on in game, footsteps, gunshots, and explosions, meaning the centre mostly on churning out good bass, which is awesome if you love a bass heavy sound sig, but horrible if you don't. Also, many aren't made with portability in mind, which again is good if you want something to wear while sat at a computer, it isn't going anywhere but back onto a table, but when you're out and about different things matter than all velour plushness and rigid design.

If you want comfort, you cant really go wrong with a Razer headset though on smaller ears like mine they can swamp you, I also wear glasses and they don't hurt me at all, but if you want to listen to music or take them out with you, they aren't the first thing I would reach for.

Stuff: Nokia Lumia 800, Sansa Clip+ 8gb+32gb card, Zune 30, Sony MDR EX35, Radiopaq Pop/Rock/Jazz, Phonak Audéo PFE 012, Panasonic RP-HTx7

Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM

@Addicted What I've read seem to contradict you on music quality wise. From what I've read those headphones seem to be able to do both. Portability isn't a problem for me, btw. And, I'm kida digging the 40mm drivers.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 PM

Seems you were sold before you posted, why solicit others opinions if your going to defend the phones on every point based one Someone else’s review

Old 11-29-2011, 06:43 PM

The problem is the source of the reviews, I trust some peoples opinions more than others as on amazon you can find hundreds of positive reviews for things that may be good for that person based on their limited experience, like skullcandy £10 headphones versus stock buds. Not to attack your sources at all, I am just saying that it is a matter of personal preference and previous experience whether or not some headphones sound good or bad.

What you need to do Lebon14 is try things for yourself and not get sold on one product when there are many others available that could be better for you, as we don't know what you prefer sound-wise we can't be of too much help other than stating the shortcomings of some headphones aimed at the gaming market

Stuff: Nokia Lumia 800, Sansa Clip+ 8gb+32gb card, Zune 30, Sony MDR EX35, Radiopaq Pop/Rock/Jazz, Phonak Audéo PFE 012, Panasonic RP-HTx7

Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebon14 View Post
And, I've read that the sound is at the audiophile level for the price.
I knew that once you made that statement, considering how we HATE the word "AUDIOPHILE" here on ABi, you really don't know what you're talking about. All you seem to want is justification for buying these HP's,...really,...who cares!?!?!? You're already sold, so go buy them & enjoy. For what they cost I say "it's your money - waste it however you please".

Me, I prefer REAL HP's for the price, not gaming HP's that are sold as wannabe audiophile swag. Real SQ is what we're about. And we may not always make the right choices, we at least value each others opinion. Your already sold,...please don't waste anyone else's time.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I knew that once you made that statement, considering how we HATE the word "AUDIOPHILE" here on ABi, you really don't know what you're talking about. All you seem to want is justification for buying these HP's,...really,...who cares!?!?!? You're already sold, so go buy them & enjoy. For what they cost I say "it's your money - waste it however you please".

Me, I prefer REAL HP's for the price, not gaming HP's that are sold as wannabe audiophile swag. Real SQ is what we're about. And we may not always make the right choices, we at least value each others opinion. Your already sold,...please don't waste anyone else's time.
Give him a chance. He said he wants our opinion, I say link him to some useful threads. If he doesn't know what he wants, at least we could give him some guidelines.

@Lebon14 If you simply want to play games with these headphones, then we honestly don't have much to add. If you want to listen to music with them, then we're happy to help.

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:15 PM

In fact, I want to listen to music more than playing games. And, excuse me for using the word au******le. Didn't know about this forum hate that word.

Sound wise, I think I need something well-balanced. I'm listening to a lot of music genres : from techno, jpop/anime music, jrock, rock, hard rock, some metal, classic 80s, eurodance and a lot of Eurobeat. I want a pair of headphones that are VERY confortable and over-the-ears (oh please... don't want them to crush my ears ;_; ). I'm probably going to have them on my head for good periods of time. I'm also wearing glasses; so have this in mind. My max budget would be 70$ including shipping. And I'm canadian.

I hope that solves the "I'm sold" argument.

@mbamg Thanks for the support! I would love to have some reviews and helpful links!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:49 PM

No problem. I was also new to this once too. Just some advice: try to open up your mind to the possibility that some of the best headphones for the price are by brands that are virtually unknown outside the audio enthusiast community (granted that headphones generally cost more than IEMs, that's not as prevalent as for IEMs). I also live in Canada. Unfortunately most of the time we'll have to spend more on headphones than our American friends (unless they ship from Hong Kong).

From your previous threads I see that your last pair of headphones was a Sennheiser HD202, am I right? It'd be much easier for the community to give you recommendations based on your recounts of your experience with previous headphones.

Here: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61151

Unfortunately I don't have "cans" as people call them around here so I'm afraid that I don't have any experience with them.

On Head Fi there is this multiple headphone thread by ljokerl. You might want to check that out. There's also a lot of reviews here in the Headphone User Reviews subforum. You will find that there are particular people who write extensive reviews, and own an assortment of headphones. They can make decent comparisons which will probably be more useful to you if you do own one of these headphones.

Last edited by mbamg; 11-30-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:49 AM

I can say that I could use some headphones that have a crisp sound while still having good bass. Toward "Full" or "Warm" would be good. I have quite a good colelction of FLAC music, you see.

My HD202 were fine... but like I said, they hurt my ears and, on top of that, they make my ears sweat. Sound was OK I guess. How can I describe it...? It has higher lows because when I put them on, on a certain song, they don't distort but when I'm using my Fatal1ty pro headset, it distorts on those lows.

I don't know what to do seriously. I'm still pretty tempted to go with the Orca on Newegg.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you are going to use a set of headphones for music use it would make sense to start by consulting websites and reviewers that are music oriented instead of gaming oriented. as I said, my coworker thinks the razers are great and loves them for games and music...but he has also never used anything over stock earbuds and logitech headsets until I made him "splurge" on a set of JVC aircushions for his ipod.

your going to get sweaty ears from any closed can. closed means there is no air circulation. if that is an issue get a set of open headphones. problem there is that, in general, open cans have less bass. personally, I just deal with the sweat and take periodic breather breaks. a lot of hype in the link I am about to post but there are some honest opinions in there too...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-...than-the-hd650

without shopping canadian websites I would also recommend just about anything from audio technica that you can afford. I have owned a few of their products and am a big fan.

here is the review thread by joker...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shoo...added-11-27-11

Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 AM

the razer tiamat 7.1 looks really cool, 10 drivers

Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 AM

Just so you know I wouldn't want to spend that money on the Razer because a) it's retail pricing (so you're probably paying $20 more than what it's worth) and b) apparently "It's difficult to recommend the Orca; you won't get a lot in terms of audio quality although your spending almost twice as much as a similar sounding Philips headphone." (according to the first review that I've found anyways).

So these headphones cost around $70 CDN - twice as much as some pair of Philips headphones that sound similar. For the sake of having a headphone comparison you'd need to know which Philips headphone he's comparing the Orcas to.

Well from what I've found there are three headphones that fit the price range - SHO8801, SHO9561, SNH5200. So google these headphones and add a "Head Fi" at the end so that you may be linked to a review on Head Fi.

If people actually compared the Orca to another headphone that we know about (which would be quite a few) we'd actually be able to have some idea of what it sounds like. Not many enthusiasts go for lower-end Philips headphones due to their mainstream sound signatures, though.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjondenon View Post
the razer tiamat 7.1 looks really cool, 10 drivers
But it's not wireless

*hope you see the sarcasm as more is not always better ...

Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

They're bright green and hideous looking - why would anyone go there?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
They're bright green and hideous looking - why would anyone go there?
That's what I said too ... but he said:

Quote:
... The color is not a problem (florescent green). ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
... they look like they’re over price for what they are. Most likely Chinese OEM headphones and the color is hideous IMHO ...
Quote:
@WalkGood Like I said, the color isn't a problem because the functionnalities took over. ...
What functionality? I'm being sarcastic, no need to reply ...