android
Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
At least originally, with the Clip Zip, there were some microSD card issues with some makes of cards. From my memory and the postings, these tended to be (exclusively?) with non-SanDisk cards. SanDisk acknowledged an issue.

Since that time, SanDisk has worked on the issue and issued an updated firmware--I rarely if ever hear of card compatibility issues now.
Since sandisk had to create a fix that indicates the problem was on their end, not the cards themselves. Considering they reacted fairly quickly, a few months?, I'd take that as an indicator they knew that type of incompatibility is unacceptable.

I saw a few "It's deliberate, they're trying to freeze out the competition!" posts but that didn't make much sense to me. The number of returns by angry customers along with the loss of goodwill doing something like that deliberately wouldn't seem like it would balance any possible increase in sales.

Last edited by skip252; 12-30-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 PM

Rhetorical question, I’m wondering if the title is still "Cheapest microSDHC card for Clip Zip" I'm constantly seeing the class 4 SanDisk 32GB microSD card now for around $30.00 ... great deals if you shop price

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Rhetorical question, I’m wondering if the title is still "Cheapest microSDHC card for Clip Zip" I'm constantly seeing the class 4 SanDisk 32GB microSD card now for around $30.00 ... great deals if you shop price
I spent $7 more, but got the USB microsd reader with it. Nice to see these things finally affordable, though!

Old 12-30-2011, 05:37 PM

I recently got a 32gb one for $30 on amazon lightning deals. I think that is the cheapest I've seen them. I also got something like this http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Mobile...5288113&sr=8-3 . I just put all my stuff on the sd card and don't even bother with the internal memory. That way the only time I have to connect my player to the computer is for charging

Old 12-30-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I spent $7 more, but got the USB microsd reader with it. Nice to see these things finally affordable, though!
I got one for $30.00 with 2 different adapters, a USB and a SD card adapter. The second card I got for around the same price only came with the SD adapter. But the following day the same link gave me the 32GB card, no adapter but the price was only $27.00, now that's a deal! That's why I said shop price above ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
I have five Canon digitals that take SD cards. I have never had a problem with the various SD cards that I have used/am using (including a 2GB No Name card from eBay). I know that I haven't used the SD Association formatter on all of them.

I did have a Sandisk CF card go bad after I switched it from a Canon DSLR to a Canon point&shoot. Perhaps that was my fault, but I no longer switch cards from one camera to another unless empty.

Steve
I've only been experiencing problems with non-Sandisk cards in the latest (or two) generations of cameras, like DSLRs with video recording. With too many functions crammed into the electronics, there's more stuff to go wrong. It doesn't even need to be in-your-face bad. I've had a Nikon DSLR which would record 1 out of 500 images bad on a non-Sandisk card, but onlly in cold weather. Sandisk worked well every time. Another camera could record the files 3 x time faster on a Sandisk than on other brands (with the same class speed). It's just my anecdotal evidence, but for use in cameras, I'd only recommend Sandisk now. It shouldn't matter in mp3s, phones etc. IMHO.

But true, Sandisk aren't (or didn't use to be) the most reliable. Perhaps Lexar could provide the best of both worlds.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just today saw a listing that newegg.com has a 32GB SanDisk Class 4 microSD card for $30 or $31 shipped.