android
Old 11-28-2011, 02:57 PM

Default Cheapest microSDHC card for Clip Zip?

I'm looking for an inexpensive 32GB microSDHC card that others have found works well with the Clip Zip. I'll be using Rockbox, so it needs to also work well with that firmware. I know SanDisk cards are always the safest bet with SanDisk players, but they're not always the cheapest.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

In principle any non-fake card should work. Beyond that its hard to say. Even identically labeled name brand devices often have different internal chips.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 PM

Better to get a quality product the first time. Best to go with sandisk in a sandisk product. Might save you money in the long run.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Administrator

That's twice you've said that. Do you have any proof or is that just what you think?

Old 12-17-2011, 01:48 PM
ABI Invaluable

Don’t go cheap, you don’t know how many times I’ve read stories like this. You should be able to find a SanDisk 32gb microSD on amazon.com for $30.00 to $35.00 and you’ll be better off in the long run. I've also have some kensington and transcend cards with no problems but lately the deals I've found on SanDisk are good so I'd rather go their route ...

I took a quick search and found class 4 for $32.65 --> http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microS...dp_ob_image_ce

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Administrator

I'm not talking about cheap or fake.

I'm talking about "Best to go with sandisk in a sandisk product.". If that can be shown as a fact, then it should be stated like that. If that's someones opinion then that should also be clear.

I shop warranty and price. That usually makes my choice Sandisk now that their prices generally have come in line with other manufacturers. However I don't think it's a good idea to give the impression they are the only maker of quality cards or that using their cards in their devices somehow yields better results.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:08 PM

I've been using a fully loaded 32GB Kingston microSDHC. No complaints.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:13 PM
ABI Invaluable

Skip, I wasn't replying to your post and I agree with what you said, I was only replying to the OP's first post where he stated "inexpensive" and I took that to mean "cheap deal" as well. I also pointed out that I have other cards that work fine but I should have pointed out clearer that my preference would be sandisk for no other reason than I believe they have less fail rate but that's just a personal opinion from knowing about the company. While in reality they probably have just as many fail rates as others

Old 12-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Administrator

I think we're on the same page there, WalkGood. Cheap is no good if it means a sacrifice in quality. It's just that the post I should have quoted didn't make it clear that what they said was a preference not a fact. My experience has been that there's no great difference in cards as long as they're well made. In some cases I've had no-name cards perform better than a branded card.

Now that Sandisk prices have come back to the pack I'd get that if it was available, but if there was a killer price on a Kingston or Lexar I'd get one of those. That's doesn't seem likely right now though. Looking at Amazon Sandisk is very competitive in pricing. Along with their reputation for customer service that would probably be my choice right now.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Personally, I would make sure that the store has a return policy. The Clip Zip has been seen to be finicky with microSD cards--best to be safe.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:26 PM

Honestly I've used a lot of sandisk cards, no problems. I am by no means an exper,t nor do I claim to have the knowledge that others do, quit the opposite. In my opinion, is how I shall preface further posts.

Last edited by Audie61; 12-29-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie61 View Post
Honestly I've used a lot of sandisk cards, no problems. It seems to bother some people when I recommend them, so I'll stop.
Quote:
Better to get a quality product the first time. Best to go with sandisk in a sandisk product. Might save you money in the long run.
Is the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I'm talking about "Best to go with sandisk in a sandisk product.". If that can be shown as a fact, then it should be stated like that. If that's someones opinion then that should also be clear.
It's perfectly valid to make a recommendation. It's the whole "Sandisk products work better with Sandisk products." is where it I have an issue. That's an opinion that you still haven't backed with anything more than your anecdotal experience.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:05 PM

I must say, Sandisk cards are the least problematic when compatibility is concerned, but it depends on the device. Lately, cameras often have all sorts of problems with non-Sandisk cards. Write errors, slowness - but insert a Sandisk card and all is fine. My own experience (I've been testing cameras for a few years now).

However, if the device is known to work fine with non-Sandisk cards, and you don't need to use the card in other devices, I see little reason to spend more on a Sandisk. Sometimes one can get better value with a non-Sandisk card.

Just today I've bought a 16-gig Sandisk card. What I didn't realize is that filling a class 4 card takes close to an hour (in a card reader). A 10-class Verbatim costs the same or slightly cheaper. Crap, my old 2GB Kingston is way faster than this new card.

While Sandisk is definitely not the overly expensive brand it used to be years ago, these are still not exactly budget products.

For use in mp3 players, I wouldn't bother with the brand. Half of the cards are made by Sandisk and the other half by Samsung anyway.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:36 AM

Honestly I've used a lot of sandisk cards, no problems. I am by no means an exper,t nor do I claim to have the knowledge that others do, quit the opposite. In my opinion, is how I shall preface further posts.
I have been humbled & put in my place.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:50 AM

Oh he!!, I like this forum a lot, and I do not want to get into a pi$$in match. The knowledge I can gain and have gained is worth a lot of humility. I really thought that the odds of a sandisks card working with a sandisk player were better than another brands card doing the same. However, I have bought aftermarket parts for vehicles that were as good or better.
It is not now, or ever was, my intention (got that from a pol's speech. are you going to ask for references?) to come across as an expert or experienced. I am a dumb redneck from the mountains of Idaho. Huyuck, just trying to chat. Guess I'm better off ghosting.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:02 AM

There are many different brands. Just go with the one that is cheapest yet has great feedback,all that matters is if the card works or not,if it has alot of reviews of it working then its worth buying. I buy my cards from either Amazon.com or Newegg because of their easy return policy. Consider SD cards and MicroSD cards as universal,they will work with anything that has a slot for them these days.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:34 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
I must say, Sandisk cards are the least problematic when compatibility is concerned, but it depends on the device. Lately, cameras often have all sorts of problems with non-Sandisk cards. Write errors, slowness - but insert a Sandisk card and all is fine. My own experience (I've been testing cameras for a few years now). ...
Are you formatting the cards before you use them in your camera? I have a canon that works fine with every different card I've thrown at it, all I do is use the SD Associations formatter first and no issues to date.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Are you formatting the cards before you use them in your camera? I have a canon that works fine with every different card I've thrown at it, all I do is use the SD Associations formatter first and no issues to date.
I have five Canon digitals that take SD cards. I have never had a problem with the various SD cards that I have used/am using (including a 2GB No Name card from eBay). I know that I haven't used the SD Association formatter on all of them.

I did have a Sandisk CF card go bad after I switched it from a Canon DSLR to a Canon point&shoot. Perhaps that was my fault, but I no longer switch cards from one camera to another unless empty.

Steve

Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Oh he!!, I like this forum a lot, and I do not want to get into a pi$$in match. The knowledge I can gain and have gained is worth a lot of humility. I really thought that the odds of a sandisks card working with a sandisk player were better than another brands card doing the same. However, I have bought aftermarket parts for vehicles that were as good or better.
It is not now, or ever was, my intention (got that from a pol's speech. are you going to ask for references?) to come across as an expert or experienced. I am a dumb redneck from the mountains of Idaho. Huyuck, just trying to chat. Guess I'm better off ghosting.
I believe you're misunderstanding why I asked if you had any concrete evidence as to your opinion that sandisk cards work better on sandisk players. There's no motive on my part to discredit or humble anyone. Remember this?
Quote:
I believe that Sansa's Fuse + works best with a sandisk card. Seems I've read this somewhere on this forum.
Between that and others saying that sandisk cards were the only ones that worked properly in their players I felt it best to ask if anyone had any proof beyond their anecdotes.

A anecdote repeated enough times takes on the aura of fact. I bounce around a lot of sites and have found statements from members here that have people spending time and money on an opinion that had no basis in fact. That's the reason I asked if you had any concrete evidence that it's best to use sandisk products. Anyone that reads this thread now would have a hard time not understanding that there's widespread opinions as to which card performs the best.

I'm certain when you first posted in this thread there was no doubt in your mind what you said was true. There was no intent to mislead anyone, you were posting with the intent to help another member.

I'm guessing there at least some question about it in your mind now? Given the other experiences recounted here any reasonable person would have to have reexamined whether your first post in this thread was the best advice. That type of giving things a second look has caused me to reopen any number of things I had filed away as absolute facts.

Taking a second look at things caused me to find ABi. I've learned a lot and also went through the unfortunate experience of having to say "Whoops, my bad!" more than once.

That hasn't been comfortable but if in the end I walk away knowing more than when I started it's been worth it for me. YMMV.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

At least originally, with the Clip Zip, there were some microSD card issues with some makes of cards. From my memory and the postings, these tended to be (exclusively?) with non-SanDisk cards. SanDisk acknowledged an issue.

Since that time, SanDisk has worked on the issue and issued an updated firmware--I rarely if ever hear of card compatibility issues now.