android
Old 11-25-2011, 12:40 PM

Default Desktop DAC/HPamp for ~$200

The hunt began a few days ago. Desktop DAC with heaphone amp with 2ohm or less output impedance, line out (preferably fixed), and USB or COAX input (preferably COAX).

Ended up buying a Fiio E7 because it was the only thing I could find that didn't get a crappy review and was cheap and met my needs. Everytime I think i found the perfect desktop amp I find it has high output impedance.

Two I am currently considering.

Audio-gd NFB-12

Maverick TubeMagic D1 DAC

Any opinions on these two or other suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-18-2011, 03:08 AM

FiiO E10. Not really desktop, but mighty impressive if you do not need giant amounts of juice (it honestly drives my D2000 - which admittedly is easy to drive - every bit as good as the ten times bigger and four times more expensive Matrix M-Stage).

Old 12-18-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post
… Desktop DAC with heaphone amp with 2ohm or less output impedance, line out (preferably fixed), and USB or COAX input (preferably COAX). ...
What are you looking to drive? While I don’t know a thing about either DAC/amp that you mentioned, I looked at the specs and noticed that the Audio-gd NFB-12 does have output impedance of 2 Ω (ohms). It looks like an interesting DAC/amp for the promo price of $200.00. While the Maverick looks sharper (IMO) at $200.00 it seems the minimum output headphone impedance is 16 Ω, unless I missed something in the specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupi View Post
FiiO E10. Not really desktop …
While the E10 is probably a great bang for the buck, it has output impedance of 32Ω, so it’s not what he asked for.

Edit: Strike error after corrected by dfkt

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 12-18-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:44 AM

Huh? Where did you get the 32 Ohm output impedance figure? When I measured the E10 with multi-armature IEMs, the frequency response was flat, suggesting less than 1 Ohm output impedance.

Other than the E10, my suggestion would be a professional sound card instead of some hi-fi stuff - like the Echo AudioFire 2, for example. It should go for slightly less than $200, and it is exceptionally good.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Huh? Where did you get the 32 Ohm output impedance figure? ...
Glad you corrected me, my bad had a hard time finding the figures ... I question the Maverick figure as well.

Edit: oh forgot to mention I saw it on another site while searching around

Edit2: I looked back and found what I did wrong is used the output power figure of 150mW(32Ω)

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 12-19-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:30 AM

dfkt: how does the AudioFire compare to the E10 when we are talking output only?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:22 PM

Sound card is not an option. This is at work where I do not own or have access to the computers to add expansion cards.

I am currently driving Audeo PFE 112's

The E7 was awesome but it did not let me switch between headphones and line out easily.

I ended up buying a Audinst HUD-MX1. Does exactly what I want and sounds great. Shipping was incredibly fast to. $180 shipped.