android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-26-2011, 01:35 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamg View Post
... how much would that cost?
Unofficial site but good ballpark, check MEE's site for weight ... http://www.nerdylorrin.net/jerry/pos...alAndPostcards
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #22  
Old 11-26-2011, 01:44 PM
cnhardwick cnhardwick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamg View Post
Thanks for the help. Hmm if I get someone to buy it in the US and ship it to me in Canada how much would that cost?
Amazon lists shipping weight as 12 ozs., but I seriously doubt it is that heavy. But even if it is USPS would only charge $4.56 for First Class International. LINK There might be customs fees or something on top of that, I am not sure.
__________________
Players: 4 GB Sansa Clip | 32 GB iPod touch (4th generation)
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 IEM: MEElectronics A151, M6 and M9P
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old 11-26-2011, 01:54 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
... There might be customs fees or something on top of that, I am not sure.
Yes there's always custom fees/duty, just have your friend that's going to ship them mark them as a gift and value of 6 to 10 bucks, works for uncle Wilson
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM
cnhardwick cnhardwick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 287
Default

MEElec.com has the A151 for $39.99 with coupon code CYBER_MONDAY. It looks like shipping to Canada would be $4 with coupon code SHIPPING_COUPON making the total $43.99 (plus any customs fees).

EDIT: Adding coupon code CLARK_DANGER brings if down to $36.58. (Wow! I bet this price won't last long.)

For anyone in the US wondering, that brings them to $32.58 shipped, which is lowest I have ever seen the A151, even better than the Amazon lighting deal for $33.99 which sold out in minutes. Not bad if you want to give BA a try.

EDIT2: Probably does not help the OP out but I will mention that Overstock has the CC51 for $24.99.

EDIT3: CLARK_DANGER is now dead . . .
__________________
Players: 4 GB Sansa Clip | 32 GB iPod touch (4th generation)
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 IEM: MEElectronics A151, M6 and M9P

Last edited by cnhardwick; 11-28-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old 11-28-2011, 11:22 PM
mbamg mbamg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
MEElec.com has the A151 for $39.99 with coupon code CYBER_MONDAY. It looks like shipping to Canada would be $4 with coupon code SHIPPING_COUPON making the total $43.99 (plus any customs fees).

EDIT: Adding coupon code CLARK_DANGER brings if down to $36.58. (Wow! I bet this price won't last long.)

For anyone in the US wondering, that brings them to $32.58 shipped, which is lowest I have ever seen the A151, even better than the Amazon lighting deal for $33.99 which sold out in minutes. Not bad if you want to give BA a try.

EDIT2: Probably does not help the OP out but I will mention that Overstock has the CC51 for $24.99.

EDIT3: CLARK_DANGER is now dead . . .
Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered it... around $46 including credit card charges. Hope it will be worth it, as it's the most that I've spent on IEMs in a while.

Note: The CC51 is now out of stock at Overstock.
__________________
Walkman NWZ-E438F/LG P999 (Voodoo)/Clip+ 4GB (Rockboxed) || Senn CX300/AT CKM55/MEE M6/Brainwavz Proalpha/Maximo iM-590/MEE A151/AT CKM50/Koss TBSE1

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Last edited by mbamg; 11-28-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 PM
mbamg mbamg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 129
Default

Well, I just had a listen with the A151s, and boy, vocals are recessed. Most of my songs have female vocals so the lack of treble shows a lot. There is a noticeable improvement in separation and clarity, but I'm really not used to this sound signature. To be honest, I prefer the iM-590's but they're very tiring to listen to. In terms of soundstage they seem to be average, but just as ljokerl said in his review, they do portray a bit of height, which is quite an "eye-opener". While they don't have the sibilance of the iM-590s, I find the A151s to be overwhelming in their own way. I suppose it's the "punchiness" of the bass that's getting to me. The great isolation is probably to blame. I swear I can feel my eardrums being pushed by all these waves. That's quite ironic considering that this is a BA IEM.

I'm emailing MEE customer service to see if I can return it.
__________________
Walkman NWZ-E438F/LG P999 (Voodoo)/Clip+ 4GB (Rockboxed) || Senn CX300/AT CKM55/MEE M6/Brainwavz Proalpha/Maximo iM-590/MEE A151/AT CKM50/Koss TBSE1

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Last edited by mbamg; 12-13-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamg View Post
Well, I just had a listen with the A151s, and boy, vocals are recessed. Most of my songs have female vocals so the lack of treble shows a lot. There is a noticeable improvement in separation and clarity, but I'm really not used to this sound signature. To be honest, I prefer the iM-590's but they're very tiring to listen to. In terms of soundstage they seem to be average, but just as ljokerl said in his review, they do portray a bit of height, which is quite an "eye-opener". While they don't have the sibilance of the iM-590s, I find the A151s to be overwhelming in their own way. I suppose it's the "punchiness" of the bass that's getting to me. The great isolation is probably to blame. I swear I can feel my eardrums being pushed by all these waves. That's quite ironic considering that this is a BA IEM.

I'm emailing MEE customer service to see if I can return it.
Have you tried them at lower volumes to avoid as you say “all these waves.” BTW sorry to hear you don’t like them, hope you get $$ back or credit towards another purchase. Can you explain the “height” that ljokerl refers to as I didn’t see it in his review. From his review I read:
Quote:
… the A151 somewhat warm for an armature and there is a very slight lower-midrange bias. Despite this, the A151 sounds very accurate and carries good detail and texture through both the bass and the midrange. …
You also inspired me to re-read my review and I would agree with his sound assessment of 7.5 out of 10 and much higher for price/value (I’d say 8 to 9 and he stated 9.5) but I don't put numerical values on them as that could change over time. Both reviews have different opinions than your assessment on the midrange, yes I also find them on the warm side with good detail and texture. Although I find the vocals shine in this area (mids), only missing the upper midrange offered on some of MEEs other IEMs but very clear and detailed. I think we feel the same on soundstage, it’s not real wide but with the good instrument separation it comes across wider than it really is.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old 12-13-2011, 09:27 AM
mbamg mbamg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Have you tried them at lower volumes to avoid as you say “all these waves.” BTW sorry to hear you don’t like them, hope you get $$ back or credit towards another purchase. Can you explain the “height” that ljokerl refers to as I didn’t see it in his review. From his review I read:


You also inspired me to re-read my review and I would agree with his sound assessment of 7.5 out of 10 and much higher for price/value (I’d say 8 to 9 and he stated 9.5) but I don't put numerical values on them as that could change over time. Both reviews have different opinions than your assessment on the midrange, yes I also find them on the warm side with good detail and texture. Although I find the vocals shine in this area (mids), only missing the upper midrange offered on some of MEEs other IEMs but very clear and detailed. I think we feel the same on soundstage, it’s not real wide but with the good instrument separation it comes across wider than it really is.
The strange thing is that I usually listen at the lowest volume possible on my DAP. At volume level 1 the bass is still overwhelming for me. I've tried all of the eartips and it turns out that the single and triple-flanges sound about the same, while I can't get a good fit with the bi-flanges at all.

The portrayal of height seems to be a little artificial, but say when I hear several guitars playing in succession I could imagine one on the left, then the top, then the right. In that way the soundstage is still quite two-dimensional but it's in the vertical plane instead of the horizontal.

Edit: I've just listening to a J-Rock song with male vocals and it just blew me away. I guess that's what the A151s excel at. It doesn't seem to perform well with electronic music. Are there any noticeable difference in sound between the CC51s and the A151s?
__________________
Walkman NWZ-E438F/LG P999 (Voodoo)/Clip+ 4GB (Rockboxed) || Senn CX300/AT CKM55/MEE M6/Brainwavz Proalpha/Maximo iM-590/MEE A151/AT CKM50/Koss TBSE1

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Last edited by mbamg; 12-13-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 AM
cnhardwick cnhardwick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 287
Default

Have you tried them without the DAP?
How long have you given your ears to adjust to the warmer sound?

EDIT: Yes, the CC51 and A151 sound very different. I only had the CC51 for a few days though, so looking for a comparison on Head-fi might give you a better idea of the difference. From what I recall though, the CC51 had a v-shaped sound signature, more like that of the M6.
__________________
Players: 4 GB Sansa Clip | 32 GB iPod touch (4th generation)
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 IEM: MEElectronics A151, M6 and M9P

Last edited by cnhardwick; 12-13-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 AM
mbamg mbamg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
Have you tried them without the DAP?
How long have you given your ears to adjust to the warmer sound?
To be honest I haven't given them much time to adjust. I just tried them on my P999 and treble extension is noticeably better - which is rather inconclusive since the P999's lowest possible volume is several times louder than my Sonys.
__________________
Walkman NWZ-E438F/LG P999 (Voodoo)/Clip+ 4GB (Rockboxed) || Senn CX300/AT CKM55/MEE M6/Brainwavz Proalpha/Maximo iM-590/MEE A151/AT CKM50/Koss TBSE1

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.
Reply With Quote

  #31  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

I hope you checked to make sure there's no EQ on for starters before you adjust to your liking ...

Got your explanation, tks, I just didn’t see that in reading his review. I’m sure they’re not for everyone and we all do hear differently, what surprised me is the similarities we both found in the A151s. Good point on the tips, they make a world of difference to me, I can’t use any of their tips except the double flange and I prefer my foamies to them, I’ll eventually get around to modding the singles to see how them sound. I got to say now that for the MSRP I don’t feel they worth it what I once felt at the writing of review, but for the current deals I’ve seen on them they’re a great bang for the buck and allows people to hear the differences between armatures and dynamic drivers.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 AM
mbamg mbamg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I hope you checked to make sure there's no EQ on for starters before you adjust to your liking ...

Got your explanation, tks, I just didn’t see that in reading his review. I’m sure they’re not for everyone and we all do hear differently, what surprised me is the similarities we both found in the A151s. Good point on the tips, they make a world of difference to me, I can’t use any of their tips except the double flange and I prefer my foamies to them, I’ll eventually get around to modding the singles to see how them sound. I got to say now that for the MSRP I don’t feel they worth it what I once felt at the writing of review, but for the current deals I’ve seen on them they’re a great bang for the buck and allows people to hear the differences between armatures and dynamic drivers.
I always set EQ to flat. In fact this time I did try to bring out the trebles with the EQ to no avail.
__________________
Walkman NWZ-E438F/LG P999 (Voodoo)/Clip+ 4GB (Rockboxed) || Senn CX300/AT CKM55/MEE M6/Brainwavz Proalpha/Maximo iM-590/MEE A151/AT CKM50/Koss TBSE1

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.
Reply With Quote

  #33  
Old 12-13-2011, 11:05 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Just a thought on the EQ, I know I've forgotten at times :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamg View Post
... I did try to bring out the trebles with the EQ to no avail.
Well they do not extend into the uber highs but they're very clear, they’re not bright which makes them less fatiguing over long periods of use for me. But they have a limitation as to how high they can go, probably because of the type of armature they use http://www.knowles.com/search/family..._sub_cat_id=10
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #34  
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 AM
mbamg mbamg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 129
Default

After some more time with the A151s, I've decided not to return them. They perform really well with certain songs, they have great isolation, and I got them for a decent price. With that said, maybe I should start selling off some of my other IEMs...
__________________
Walkman NWZ-E438F/LG P999 (Voodoo)/Clip+ 4GB (Rockboxed) || Senn CX300/AT CKM55/MEE M6/Brainwavz Proalpha/Maximo iM-590/MEE A151/AT CKM50/Koss TBSE1

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.