android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 AM

Default RHA (Reid & Heath Acoustics) MA-350 - anyone have any experience of them?

Technically I ought to be posting this in my required recommendations thread, but posting this separately as I'm independently interested...

Reviews on Amazon are almost unanimously good. What HiFi and a few other pro online sites love them. They cost less than 30. I can't find a single mention of them on any of the main headphone or audio gadget forums.

Anyone? Anyone at all??

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Administrator

No link? Adding a link saves others from needing to search for the headphones you that have your interest.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I like what I read and see but not much from anywhere i know anything about. minimalistic look is good. OP, get some and let us know

Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 AM

http://www.trustedreviews.com/rha-ma...dphones_review

Strain relief and cable looks like they come from the same Chinese OEM factory as the Radius IEMs... which means they might have pretty bad build quality and durability.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
No link? Adding a link saves others from needing to search for the headphones you that have your interest.
Sorry skip. I know dfkt has posted a link, but here's the Amazon page that I've been looking at, which is getting a LOT of positives - http://www.amazon.co.uk/RHA-MA-350-A...1975439&sr=8-1

dfkt - yeah, build quality is about the only negative thing I can find about them (and something that factors quite highly into my 'bud choices), but even that isn't mentioned as a problem in most reviews. But then it looks like they've only been around since this summer, so it's probably far too early for build quality issues to be rearing their head just yet. Despite the "designed in the UK" tag, they are built in China, so your suspicion is almost certainly correct.

IDvsEGO - heh. I've just order some Panny RP-HJE900s and am considering a backup pair (possibly Hippo VBs from Uncle Wilson's), but at nearly half the price I'd be lying if I said these RHAs weren't beckoning me. I'll have a think.

Prior to that, though, I need to get a working player as my iAudio X5 recently effectively bricked. Plus I need heaps more storage than 60gigs. iAudio X7 please...

Old 11-25-2011, 09:01 AM

So, Lewis Heath just contacted me... turns out RHA makes all their tooling themselves, no OEM stuff. On closer inspection, their strain relieves are indeed a bit shorter than the ones on the Radius DDM/DDM2, despite them looking very similar.

I should get a pair of the MA-350 soon-ish, stay tuned.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned

I'm going to pick up a pair of these from Selfridges in Oxford St on way home tonight - will report back. Price there is same as online, for those of you in London.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:53 AM

A set on the way - I too will report back...

Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 AM
Banned

Right, here's my review: these things are pretty crap. The bass is too overpowering and the highs too screechy. Gave them to my flatmate for free.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 AM

Wow.

So no burning in for a bit and giving them a chance or anything?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Banned

No, dont believe in burn in.

This is the first pair of sub 100 iems I've tried in ages, so forgive me - they might actually be awesometastic compared to the competition at this price. But all round, they annoyed the hell out of my ears. That bass just overshadows everything, like a looming shadow in a german expressionist horror film. And it seems that the much vaunted 'clarity' every is raving about is actually just the treble being dialled up to 13 at the expense of any tonal balance or warmth from the mids.

If this is the quality of sound people are putting up with or (perish the thought) consider good, then no wonder the world's going to hell in a handcart and the economy's ruined.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post

If this is the quality of sound people are putting up with or (perish the thought) consider good, then no wonder the world's going to hell in a handcart and the economy's ruined.

sound signature preferences are responsible for the decline in morality and ethics and an economic recession? Skullcandy is more dangerous that I thought.

and if you are going to take a pair of IEMs that no one has ever heard of and try to use them to judge the market for that price range you are....well there are a number of words that could describe that logic but i will go with misguided.

but thank you for your feedback, now our curiosity is appeased. also I am sure you flat mate appreciates your generosity.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
and if you are going to take a pair of IEMs that no one has ever heard of and try to use them to judge the market for that price range you are....well there are a number of words that could describe that logic but i will go with misguided.

Not really - do a google of online reviews and you'll see that model is fairly new but has received a slew of great comments and is consistently praised for its value for money and sound quality for its price.

Anyway, they're not my cup of cha thankyouverymuch, so they're consigned to the recycle bin of duff experiences that is my brain.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I dont trust reviews on audio equipment unless I have a knowledge of their background and a shared experience...as in a set that i have owned and they have reviewed. That way I can interpret their impressions against my taste. Audio is so subjective. I was just trying to say that there are plenty of good options at or under $100 these days and I hope you don't let one new product without much popularity behind it determine your impression of the price class.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

Fair enough.

I'm pretty much done with and over iems these days, anyway - much prefer proper closed headphones for portable listening.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

cool. its off topic for this thread but I would be curious to hear what you are using for portable use. I like portable cans too but I am in a minority.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:56 AM
Banned

without wishing to derail, I'm currently using the Audio Technica ES7 and have a pair of ESW9a on the way.....

Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 AM

Got the RHA today... holy hell, they're bass monsters. They sound like Hippo Boom with a bit more clarity - will have to compare them to the Hippo VB later on (if I find them).

The inverse horn shape fits my ears quite well, the nozzle is long enough to give me a good seal with the cable worn over the ears. L/R indicators are a bit hard to make out, the little dot on the left strain relief doesn't help much to distinguish them in low light. My pair of RHA suffers from driver flex on both sides.

The cable is fabric covered, and it's as annoying as all the other IEMs with this kind of cable out there. It increases microphonics, makes the cable stiffer than necessary, and more tangle-prone. As usual, it just for looks, style over usability. Strain relieves look dubious, both at the 3.5mm plug and on the ear pieces - no strain relief at all on the Y-splitter - that sure doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, and stuff might rip/tear if one's not careful.

More sound impressions once my ears have 'burned in' to their signature.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:43 AM

Bennyboy, I tried them with the smallest size tips, which don't provide a 100% seal for me - that way their bass bloat gets largely reduced, and treble comes out more. It's an old trick, same as to make the Radius DDM more 'neutral' sounding. Give it a try, maybe you like them that way.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The cable is fabric covered, and it's as annoying as all the other IEMs with this kind of cable out there. It increases microphonics, makes the cable stiffer than necessary, and more tangle-prone.
I hate those cables. I have a set of xears that has a cloth covered J cord. I dont use them anymore just because of the cable.