android
Old 11-21-2011, 05:14 PM

Default Files Sound Distorted On My Clip Zip

I have been getting very upset with the Clip Zip lately. On some songs, the device randomly makes a loud distorted, fuzzy noise at the end of the song. It scares me so much when i'm jamin out on it. It only does it to certain songs. The funny thing is, is that it doesn't make that sound on the Window Media Player and it also never made the noise on the 1st clip or clip+. The files are just mp3 and wma files. There just songs from Amazon and Emusic and off my CDs. What I did to stop that was to go to Audacity and take out the last part of the song and it stopped, but i don't even hear the noise on Audacity. The problem with me editing the songs is that i want to see the album covers but i wont be able to do that because i cant edit it after sending the song out as wav. And i dont want to hear every song to see if it makes the noise. Its already done the noise on the recent clip zip that i returned and now it is doing it on this one.

Last edited by Packers Win; 11-21-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Thread title changed. "Help Me" doesn't let anyone know what you need help with.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Administrator

You would need to post more detail before anyone can help. We don't what type files, how they were created or anything else. Just that you get random bursts of distortion. The more information you include, the more likely can lend a hand.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

By any chance, is your USB mode on the player set to MTP (or Auto)? If so, you might try setting to MSC mode and transferring the files back to the player under that mode--I may recall someone having had a similar issue, seemingly caused by the MTP mode setting (if I'm not totally mis-recalling this).

Old 11-22-2011, 07:27 PM

Pakers win, here is a WORKING solution Well it was for my zip)
Update the firmware to .15 or .17

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Zi...15/td-p/243608

If you still dont trust ,i copy paste more from sandisk:
Bugs Fixed

• Static noise is heard between some song changes <----------
  • (More fixes on the links)
I also suffered that loud noise "pFFSSSHH" between tracks and the
firmware update killed it (i have heard the same traks and
400 new ones and no bug, no noise ever)
Compare the .15 with .17 firmware ,updating to .15 could be enough,I updated directly to .17 but maybe .15 is more "friendly" PLEASE , if you fix the problem ,write it also on the forum (notonly private message) as it will help more people
You can find more about 1.01.15 abd 1.01.17 here:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=64931

Personally , i think is easier set the player to ums mode NOT mtp,
and remember to uncompres the "1.01.17.zip" to the root directory of the clipzip
internal memory, then,you will see xxx.bin file.
Zip files are compresed files the comon name with the player is accidental
: fuze v2, clip+, clipzip,LG: mffm15, mffm33, Treckstor ibeatcenso and my car's one!

Last edited by cowoniriver; 11-23-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: posts merged, please don't multi post, edit the original

Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Do you have any extra tags? perhaps noise at the end of track might be the player trying to play some comments or unsupported tags as music data?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:43 AM

I have found that the Clip Zip is relatively poor compared to PC-based players when handling mp3 files that have malformed data.

For example, I've had one mp3 for years now that always skipped a little bit a the beginning on the PC. But on the Clip zip, it gave off a very high pitched static noise every time, in the same spot. I believe the PC software cut out the malformed data, but the clip zip tried to interpret it as actual audio.

I suspect that this is really a problem of slightly corrupted files being interpreted in different ways by different devices.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucius Maximus View Post
... I suspect that this is really a problem of slightly corrupted files being interpreted in different ways by different devices.
Who wants to keep playing corrupted files, I would just re-rip them with good software & lame encoder. Or you can try MP3Utility, which is a freeware application that helps you to test the integrity of all your mp3 files, look here. Another app that’s not free but gives you a fully functional 30 day trial to do batch checking is MP3Test. Last but not least is another freeware MP3Check.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Who wants to keep playing corrupted files, I would just re-rip them with good software & lame encoder. Or you can try MP3Utility, which is a freeware application that helps you to test the integrity of all your mp3 files, look here. Another app that’s not free but gives you a fully functional 30 day trial to do batch checking is MP3Test. Last but not least is another freeware MP3Check.
Foobar can do some of these things too, if configured correctly.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Foobar can do some of these things too, if configured correctly.
Marvin, are you referring to “File Integrity Verifier” plugin by Peter? Unless they've changed or updated it, it's definitely not as good as the others and I've read that its accuracy is limited to detecting errors that abort the decoding process.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Marvin, are you referring to “File Integrity Verifier” plugin by Peter? Unless they've changed or updated it, it's definitely not as good as the others and I've read that its accuracy is limited to detecting errors that abort the decoding process.
Yes, I was....maybe I've been lucky, I haven't needed anything more. Any errors detected by that I've been able to correct with either "Fix VBR MP3 header" or "Rebuild MP3 stream".

Old 11-30-2011, 02:46 PM

Default waiting for feedback

it would be nice if packers win (the starter of the thread) give us some feeback about if a firmware update has been done if itś been enough (as was in my clip zip) to exterminate the problem.
: fuze v2, clip+, clipzip,LG: mffm15, mffm33, Treckstor ibeatcenso and my car's one!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not sure if I follow, but in the sticky threads at the top of the forum, firmware upgrades are linked to, typically with a description (from SanDisk) as to the bug fixes, enhancements, etc.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 PM

Lightbulb

thats what i want so say ;-),if anyone follow the 1.02.15 firmware description on the sticky (linked also by marvin) you read as the first bug solved is that noise.
I directly updated my clip zip that had most old firmware version to 1.02.17 and it also fixed the bug on the files that did the horrible burst noise, and those files did the noise only on the zip old firmware ,and playing the same kingston on my old fuzev2 and clip+ they play ok, both booting sandisk's original firm(with small gap, of course) and with rockbox 3.90 and 3.71(gapless as expected)

Last edited by cowoniriver; 12-01-2011 at 06:08 PM.