android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Software

Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I gave up on using MM for video pretty quickly....didn't like the interface of it. I still prefer WMP12 for videos, although that is the ONLY thing I use it for.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I use JetAudio for video viewing, and I really only watch YouTube videos on my phone. I don't use any programs for syncing or conversion ATM. Maybe when winter rolls back around at the end of the year, but not now.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
I'm still rocking on foobar2000 and iTunes ! ...
If I had to deal with ipods I'd use an older version of mediamonkey, you couldn't pay me enough to get me to use itunes On the other hand fb2k is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
... I still prefer WMP12 for videos, although that is the ONLY thing I use it for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I use JetAudio for video viewing ...
Have either of you tried VLC, there isn't anything it can't play and IMHO blows away WMP for codec support and UI.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
If I had to deal with ipods I'd use an older version of mediamonkey, you couldn't pay me enough to get me to use itunes On the other hand fb2k is great!

Have either of you tried VLC, there isn't anything it can't play and IMHO blows away WMP for codec support and UI.
lol honestly iTunes isn't that bad anymore. It no longer requires QuickTime, and if you don't have an older computer, iTunes isn't slow either. foobar2000 is hard to beat though for managing my library.

I discovered VLC about a year ago after finding the software on my school's computers. Its not bad, but I prefer WMP12 for videos.

@TDS, have you tried installing an older version of MM? Or is that feature not available in older versions?

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
lol honestly iTunes isn't that bad anymore. ...
While I do not find anything wrong with apple portables if that's your cup of tea, itunes sucks!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I had the http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html installed before I even got the computer, so WMP will play anything that VLC will play.....and VLC when I installed it before was actually using more CPU than WMP12 was. So even though the computer could handle the extra CPU, I still couldn't see the point of keeping it when WMP12 would do everything VLC was doing.
Quote:
lol honestly iTunes isn't that bad anymore. It no longer requires QuickTime, and if you don't have an older computer, iTunes isn't slow either. foobar2000 is hard to beat though for managing my library.

I discovered VLC about a year ago after finding the software on my school's computers. Its not bad, but I prefer WMP12 for videos.
Yes, the older iTunes was slow as hell on my ancient XP computer that I used to have, but the newest one is fine on my current computer.
Quote:
While I do not find anything wrong with apple portables if that's your cup of tea, itunes sucks!!!
That article is 4 years old.
That said, some of its points are still valid. In my case, however, I don't have my entire library in iTunes, only about 1/3 of it. And the "massive memory footprint" isn't an issue with a fast CPU and 4GB of RAM.
I don't rip or encode or tag anything with iTunes.......I just add stuff to it that I might want on my Touch, and the only purchases I've made from there are apps for the Touch.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have Shark007 installed as well.

And yes, iTunes still sucks on old computers. I installed it on an ancient XP computer I have and immediately removed it. It slowed down the whole computer. It works perfectly though when you have a fast CPU and enough RAM (as Marvin says).

I don't use iTunes to rip, encode, or tag either. I use foobar2000 for that . The only thing I use iTunes for is syncing my iPod and sometimes playing music.

Retired Devices:

Old 04-28-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
... That article is 4 years old. That said, some of its points are still valid. ...
I realized it was old when I posted but as you say some is still valid and it saved me the trouble of typing much

I use to run winamp for video and tunes, never had a problem with it, occasionally I still do for some of the plugins. I even like it better than WMP and yea I've run WMP numerous times over the years, if that's what you like and know it will do the job w/added codecs.

Quote:
... The only thing I use iTunes for is syncing my iPod and sometimes playing music.
Everyone does as they please on their own pc's and no matter what you guys say it still sucks! but IMHO if that's all you use itunes for it's a waste of space, but enjoy. BTW our youngest son runs it too

Old 04-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Everyone does as they please on their own pc's and no matter what you guys say it still sucks! but IMHO if that's all you use itunes for it's a waste of space, but enjoy. BTW our youngest son runs it too
Yeah I know it's kind of a waste, but I don't really have a choice. I mean, sure, I could use MM to sync. But iTunes installs a special driver which I need to recognize my iPod .

Retired Devices:

Old 04-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
If I didn't have an iOS-running iPod, I would just use Mediamonkey with it, like I used to when I had my Shuffle. But the Touch won't work with anything but iTunes unless you use really outdated iOS versions on it....and of course you couldn't get apps from MM or the like either. Also, the iTunes podcast selection is stellar, and that is one of my main uses for the Touch as well. There are a couple podcasts that I listen to that are only available there.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM

Hi,

I've been using MM for a long while now (on and off) and upgraded to 4 when it was still a Beta.
MM4 changes in a number of ways. The interface I feel is better and easier to read. It's got added video capability (never used!). But what really interested me was the Network capabilities so that I can listen to what's on the computer via my Hi-Fi (works fine).
I prefer MM to WMP because of the codecs and I liked the tagging (before I discovered MP3 Tag). Oh and it's not Microsoft!
I have a very large library (perhaps 200 000 files) and MM handles it fine. I have no problems synchronising my devices (Samsung and Archos).
I was looking up info and comparisons on MM and came across this thread. I read the beginning and the end (and a little bit in the middle) and came across the Black Friday (whatever that is!) offer from back in December/January. So I thought what the heck, I'll try it and guess what the link is still valid! It's a bit annoying that you should pay for added (or upgraded) features but in this case it's only 13€. It's good for MM4 not MM5 and upwards. It's a good way to road test the programme and if you really like it then you can go the whole hog later (ie lifetime license!) Anyway so if you're wondering try the link. Makes you think, before buying on the internet you really need to hunt around for special offers, coupons etc. I very nearly paid the whole 50$ (I would have gone for the lifetime license) and ended up paying 15$. So thanks for the heads up!

Tags
mediamonkey, video support