android
Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
It will not be only caching for 30 days. As this article below says, it will be a download of full given areas. I don't know if navigation will work though

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/06/g...fline-support/

or more details on google's blog:

http://google-latlong.blogspot.ca/20...rfect-map.html

If they don't work with navigation they would basically be useless unless you read them like a normal paper map without nav which I don't really think anyone would do on their android device when they could easily use navfree or something like that and get full downloaded maps along with nav.

I think they would make the maps downloadable for the sole reason of using gps without racking up bandwidth usage.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-26-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
If they don't work with navigation they would basically be useless unless you read them like a normal paper map without nav which I don't really think anyone would do on their android device when they could easily use navfree or something like that and get full downloaded maps along with nav.

I think they would make the maps downloadable for the sole reason of using gps without racking up bandwidth usage.
I hope they will talk more about it at google I/O this week. Let's just wait and see.

EDIT: it begins tomowrrow and google maps is in the schedule.

Last edited by zacp2; 06-26-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 PM

Damn, I also kinda doubted whether they were talking about the Labs caching feature becoming official or making the maps truly offline, but I guess that post from Google's blog confirms it. I wouldn't even mind just having the maps that I can search addresses with, since then I could just get the approx location/postal code and use that to navigate using Navfree.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Samsung Moderator

Just got the Google Maps update on my GS2. Not really useful for me as it's a smartphone with 3G but the feature looks well integrated and very practical for devices without 3G like the Galaxy Players. Good job google

Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Google maps was updated today, and now you have an option called "make available offline" which will be able to download a certain portion of your area. This is great, but there are two things. First is that you still need wi-fi to do an address search, so it's still not able to perform as a true offline gps, and secondly, you won't be able to download large areas at once. I think the limit is somewhere around 100MB, so it only covers slightly larger than about one metropolitan area.

Last edited by zeitfliesst; 06-27-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM

I played with that on my SGP 4.2 today and I think you could save more in cache before than you can with this. I haven't actually tested that but it seems like I did.

Barry

Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitfliesst View Post
Google maps was updated today, and now you have an option called "make available offline" which will be able to download a certain portion of your area. This is great, but there are two things. First is that you still need wi-fi to do an address search, so it's still not able to perform as a true offline gps, and secondly, you won't be able to download large areas at once. I think the limit is somewhere around 100MB, so it only covers slightly larger than about one metropolitan area.
At least it is a great beginning. It will be better eventually.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:16 PM

Hope so

Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 AM

The new maps app appears to be out I now have a make available offline option I have yet to try it out fully but so far it has allowed me to take the whole province of ontario offline

Edit:

So ok its basically as useless as a paper map. After some playing around I find that the same issue applies where you need a data connection to start navigation or searching for a destination

Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 AM

You get six areas/segments. Each can be up to around 65 miles x 65 miles (or smaller). (Before the update, with Labs cache you got ten areas that were about 10 miles x 10 miles.)
No navigation feature. Still need to get a route on wifi before you leave.
It's basically just the labs cache feature only they've given you fewer, but larger, map segments. And no satellite/terrain.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM

I had been using Sygic on my SGP5 for over a year, but last August I noticed that with Sygic version 12X and above, the player would freeze if I touched the Home softkey while a map was displayed. I had an open support ticket with Sygic from August to the present, with Sygic promising they were working on it. But this week I received a final reply that Sygic will no longer be compatible with Galaxy Players. It will run, but you will get a hard freeze if you touch the Home key with a map displayed. In other words, they are not working on a bug fix for this. If you can stay on Sygic 11.2.6 you'll be okay but the maps cannot be updated.

I changed to CoPilot Live USA and it works fine.