android
Old 11-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Default any good offline gps apps?

I will be buying a galaxy player and a 16 or 32gb sd card and was wondering if there are any offline gps apps for free or cheap on the android market compatible with the galaxy player. The only one I know is sygic which is sort of expensive once you factor in maps and all I would need canada and us and with both of those and the app itself it would be about 60$ total which is too much IMO

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I will be buying a galaxy player and a 16 or 32gb sd card and was wondering if there are any offline gps apps for free or cheap on the android market compatible with the galaxy player. The only one I know is sygic which is sort of expensive once you factor in maps and all I would need canada and us and with both of those and the app itself it would be about 60$ total which is too much IMO
The only thing i know that can be free is you can pre-cache the maps using google maps. (it save a 16km area block) but it is restriced to only 10 blocks.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 PM

can google maps allow directions to elsewhere without needing to connect to wifi if it is in the precashed 10 blocks?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
can google maps allow directions to elsewhere without needing to connect to wifi if it is in the precashed 10 blocks?
to do the initial directions you need wifi but after you just the GPS.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 PM

I installed the Sygic GPS app. It is stored entirely on your system, does not need to maintain a wifi connection to use, and has a 7 day free trial period; I bought it after 4 days of use and it cost about $22 US.

Once you have the app on your system you can download any or all of the maps onto your device that you want which are included in your license area.

FWIW

Have a Magical Day

Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 PM

I used the installed "Navigation" app today that works with Google maps. I input my destination before leaving home and while connected via wifi. After I lost the wifi signal the app would beep to indicate the turn coming up (once for nearing a turn and twice when at the point where you should turn). I would receive voice navagation until I lost the wifi signal. I could not use the app for returning. Don't know why, since that should have used the same pre-loaded map. Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM

just found this app on the android market someone want to try it out and see if it works. It's the same app that comes with the new lenovo a1 tablet to give it offline gps

https://market.android.com/details?i...navdroyd&hl=en

Old 11-19-2011, 07:12 PM

Just tried that app suggested by mikee, and all I can say is I have never seen such rediculous routes as the ones planned by this!
It would take 15 miles by their route into my town from my place, when it usually takes 9 miles!
Edit: I now see that there is a map error that says my road is not directly connected to town, but it is. I'll have to try and fix that...

Last edited by iJimaniac; 11-19-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:10 PM

Sygic works well, but it is a little bit expensive for many people's tastes (it's about 17.00 for USA maps version). CoPilot basic for USA is only about $2.99, the last I looked. I bought the basic cheap CoPilot to compare it to Sygic and it's not bad. It does tend to take you off the freeway and on to surface streets more quickly than I prefer the few times I tried it. But it will get you there, and the maps of my area seem to be accurate. It actually seems to have a better and easier to find Points of Interest listing than Sygic, though I prefer Sygic for straight-up offline voice Navigation and have been happier with Sygic's suggested routes.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:38 AM

This probably doesn't answer the OP's question (sounds like he wants it cheap), but I'm very happy with NAVIGON.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:46 AM

I have heard that you have to pay yearly fees for certain navigation apps, is this true of sygic or copilot? The navdoyd I have decided is far to unreliable, at least for Arizona, it calculates routes that are totally insane!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:54 AM

You might do well to track down someone locally who uses GPS and ask them what works in your location. AFAIK nokia is the only one that offers free offline smartphone navigation. Though I think someone hacked their software to work with other windows phone 7 devices.

I couldn't say though which apps or dedicated devices are good for navigation. I have all you can eat data for my android.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Sygic and CoPilot are one-time purchases, there are no yearly fees. I believe the same is true for NavDroyd and Navigon. I know there are some with annual fees, but I can't think of their names off-hand and I don't think I'd do that, either. Google Maps and Mapquest both offer free navigation, but require a constant WiFi connection for the most part. If you have a WiFi hotspot or tethering, those two would be good options.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:31 PM

I'm using Sygic and it works fine.
But I use the 3G Galaxy 5 (only 2.8 ") when I need Google Maps.
The two together (G70 and Galaxy 5) work in perfect harmony.

"Galaxy 5" aka Corby or Galaxy Europe ou Samsung I5500

Last edited by Us35; 11-20-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 PM

I like Sygic. I've seen some CoPilot users say their license expired for unknown reasons and had to buy it again.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
to do the initial directions you need wifi but after you just the GPS.
I have tried this and works really good... but without wifi to do the initial directions simply doesn't work. Still looking out there for the perfect gps app.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:34 PM

I'm currently trying an app called nav free but its only in the samsung store. I found it while trying the samsung store since I was bored. currently downloading maps

Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I'm currently trying an app called nav free but its only in the samsung store. I found it while trying the samsung store since I was bored. currently downloading maps
It's on the market too:

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Old 12-17-2011, 09:56 PM

I noticed the one in Samsung apps only has option to download "USA", but the one from Market lets you download just 1 state. Much smaller file! At least that's the way it was a few days ago. I do like Sygic better, but I don't think I want to buy the maps and it uses MUCH more space. Hoping Navfree will keep updating to work out any kinks (like search by street number).

Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 AM

What's the size of the downloaded maps package on Sygic?
Can you get it to load to the external microSD card?