android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 AM

Exclamation Stuck in Headphone Hell: The fierce battle of Sub 50/50$ Headphones

Well, That's where I'm at. Looking at only closed Headphone choices off of amazon, there are a multitude of choices, and I have no idea where to Start. I've looked at many choices, from the MDR-V6, HD201's HD428, HD XB500, But I don't know which one is balanced. I listen to pretty much everything, from Sinatra to Dubstep, so It will need to be balanced. As for isolation, I don't need overkill, but enough to drown out a nearby conversation would be nice.
Something within or under 50$

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2011, 08:45 AM

When I asked the same question I got a few responses, the Panasonic HTX7 are what I own and they are pretty decent, isolation-wise it depends how loud whats going on around you is, as wearing them without music it just sounds like I have a bucket on my head but comfort-wise I can't fault them (I also listen to Sinatra which the phones are fine for but for dubstep you don't get the bass rumble that you can feel from them like you do from other headphones which might be the deciding factor for you).

Others recommended to me were the AKG K518. The AKG's did sound really good to me, and they did well with my weird music taste but the comfort issue made the pana's win out (I wear glasses and pin my hair quite a bit), if you don't wear glasses or have hairdressing issues then the AKG's are really nice, especially for the money (they also have much more bass than the pana's without losing too much of the detail elsewhere, I did EQ that down though but you may enjoy it with the dubstep tracks).

Looking up the HD 428's you mentioned, they do look like they could be a nice option but without experience of them I couldn't say for sure

Stuff: Nokia Lumia 800, Sansa Clip+ 8gb+32gb card, Zune 30, Sony MDR EX35, Radiopaq Pop/Rock/Jazz, Phonak Audéo PFE 012, Panasonic RP-HTx7

Old 11-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Administrator

If you can get the Sony V6 for $50 I'd do that. The build quality and balance are better than everything else you list. I have the Senn HD 428 and like them quite a bit but they are bass light. They would get along just fine with Mr. Sinatra and friends but I don't think they would give you what you're looking for when you switch to dubstep.

Personally the ones I looking at now in the $50 range is the Audio-Technica ATH-M35. I got a chance to listen to a set for a few hours for a while back and came away with a very good impression of them. The build quality was very solid for a $50 headphone. They had none the squeaks and rattles of Senn HD 428. I'd say the Senns are a bit more comfortable due to lower clamping force but they also isolate less.

I don't own them so I don't want to say I remember the sound exactly. I did have time for some back to back comparisons with the Senns and remember the low end on the Audio Technica as being better. Unfortunately I didn't have my Sony V6 available to compare when I had the Audio Technica.

The ATH-M35 have a 11 foot cable. Really nice for around the house but you would need to find a way to wrap it up for portable use. Either that or shorten the cable.

I like to recommend headphones I own or had long enough to have formed a firm impression. However I'd say the Audio-Technica ATH-M35 are definitely worth investigating.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How does the ATH-M35 compare to the ATH-M30? How about the ATH-M40fs? I haven't gotten a chance to listen to these. I have had the Sony V6 for over 20 years. It still works fine, however I did need to replace the pads. Does JVC have anything interesting under $50 that is better than the HAS160? The HAS 160 is nice for the price(under $15) though.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Administrator

I think this thread is aptly named. If you have around $50 there's so much choice on Amazon it's hard to tell which would be the best bang for the buck. JVC has several headphones under $50 that might fill the bill. I haven't experienced those, just saying they exist without adding a personal opinion wouldn't help clear up the confusion.

The DarkSide mentioned that he has the JVC HA M750 IIRC. He may have more information as to how they compare with some of the others mentioned here. I haven't heard them so I don't know how well they would work with the genres Didu50 mentions.

Last edited by skip252; 11-14-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Cleanup

Old 11-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The 750 is a pretty good option. Good build quality, pretty comfy. I liked the sound too. Decent bass, darker than the 428 that I had. The xb500 is another one in that range that I enjoyed but very brassy and large. Very comfy though. I have the audio technical m40fs for home use. That cable is silly for portable use. Very flat sound though. Of those 4 the 750 is my favorite. For general use I liked the 428 a lot. The k81dj is another one I had in that range and loved it but it squeezed too much. I hear you can stretch them some. Probably going to try it.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:27 AM

A different approach to "Stuck in Headphone Hell" ... when faced with the same decision a few years back I opted to save and wait to buy what I would keep till it's death.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Administrator

I've cleaned out some of the off-topic in this thread. This is a request by a member for assistance in choosing a set of headphones. If any one needs a detailed comparison of other headphones they can request that in another thread.

Stay on topic please.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didu50 View Post
Well, That's where I'm at. Looking at only closed Headphone choices off of amazon, there are a multitude of choices, and I have no idea where to Start. I've looked at many choices, from the MDR-V6, HD201's HD428, HD XB500, But I don't know which one is balanced. I listen to pretty much everything, from Sinatra to Dubstep, so It will need to be balanced. As for isolation, I don't need overkill, but enough to drown out a nearby conversation would be nice.
Something within or under 50$
The MDR-V6 is the most balanced (almost straight as a line). I prefer the xb500 (equalized) though. If you decide on the xb500s then I can give some eq recommendations to get them more balanced, otherwise definitely go with the v6s. The Sennheisers (the HD) are not balanced at all.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Two more headphones under $50(on Amazon) that look very interesting are the JVC HARX700 and the Samson SR850.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 PM

I recently bought the brand new Sennheisier HD 419, the base model of the new 400 series, and find it extremely enjoyable for all genres given the reasonable price of $40 at Best Buy (sale price, not usual price). Good thing is that if the HD 419's sound this good, the three models above it have to be better. I'm looking at the 449 next, but that is way above the $50 price range.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@glove4
They look like they would be comfortable. How long is the cord?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Marvin, no comments about the Samson SR850? Did you read what was said about it on head-fi? The JVC HARX700 and the Samson SR850 both have 50mm drivers. The headphones I have with 50mm drivers have much greater clarity than the ones I have with smaller drivers.

The velour earpads on the Sennheiser HD419 look like they would be comfortable. The cord is 4.5 feet. Having a single entry cord is nice.

Last edited by JK98; 11-15-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Amazon comments on the Samsons sound promising, although I tend to take reviews there with a grain of salt. I haven't read about them on Head-Fi, yet.
4.5 feet for the HD419 cord is promising......all too many headphones have way too long a cord for portable use. I'd rather see a short cord with an extension, like my ATH-FC700A, which sound great but have an unpadded headbandwhich is uncomfortable for someone with buzzed hair like me.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I downloaded the product sheet for the Sennheiser HD 400 series.

The HD449 has 1.4 m single-sided OFC cable with 1.6 m extension
The HD 439 comes with 1.4 m and 3 m single-sided detachable OFC cables
The HD429 has a 3 meter cord(around 10 feet).

The HD419 is 108 db/V which if my math is correct is only around 93 db/mw, so they may not play so loud with a low power source.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...dphones_504761

The Samson SR850 has an 8.25' cord. It is 98 db/mw and 32 ohms.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Both the JVC HARX700 and JVC HARX900 got quite a bit of attention a couple of years ago. There were several threads on how to mod them for better bass and clarity. At the Amazon price they certainly would be worth a good look.

The new Senn HD 4x9 line seems to be a take off on the older 4x8 line. If that's the case they may need a couple more bumps in volume but my HD 428 have no problems reaching ear damaging levels and sound decent while they get there. The Sennheiser specs give the numbers in different forms so it's tough to do a apples to apples comparison. Not that I put much stock in their numbers anyway.

Until someone I trust does a full review I'm going to take that "powerful punchy, dynamic bass" line with a grain of salt though. The HD 4x8 line was advertised as bass driven and they don't really live up to that description. What they put out is nice but I sure as heck wouldn't call it bass driven.

I usually ignore Amazon reviews. I've seen too many of them that make me wonder if the reviewer has ever heard anything more than stock buds. If there's enough of them, especially on comfort and build, quality I take that into consideration. For SQ I want to read reviews from someone whose tastes I know.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

JVC HA-M5X: http://www.google.com/m/products/det...ed=0CBUQ8wIwAA

Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I downloaded the product sheet for the Sennheiser HD 400 series.

The HD449 has 1.4 m single-sided OFC cable with 1.6 m extension
The HD 439 comes with 1.4 m and 3 m single-sided detachable OFC cables
The HD429 has a 3 meter cord(around 10 feet).

The HD419 is 108 db/V which if my math is correct is only around 93 db/mw, so they may not play so loud with a low power source.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...dphones_504761

The Samson SR850 has an 8.25' cord. It is 98 db/mw and 32 ohms.
It is better to look at dB/V instead of dB/mW for the reasons stated in the following two posts.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=530,
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...4&postcount=14.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 PM

I looked upon everyone's suggestions, and the JVC HARX 700 are definitely contenders. But I will now explain more In-Depth my situation of buying. Heat is quite a major issue with Closed Earphones. I happen to live in Florida, where 3/4 of the year is Summer, possibly even more as today I was able to wear a T-Shirt and Shorts, In November. I own a pair of V-Moda Vibes and V-moda Bass Freq, so as you can see, my expectations won't be too high, I'm not a hardcore audiophile I have no issues with hair being caught, and for comfort, I'll take anything that doesn't feel like my ears are going to explode. As for what I listen to, Pretty much everything, as I will be using them with my Computer. Hopes this clears some things up. I'm looking more into JVC/Sony so

Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So you are looking for something to wear outside in the heat? In that case, perhaps you should get the Sennheiser PX100 MK2, or some iems or earbuds? I think if you shop carefully you can get the PX100 mk2 for $50. I think that is what B&H gets for it. I think all the closed headphones mentioned will be too hot outside in the heat.