android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-06-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Over-Ear Headphones ~$50 or under?

I've been using cheap over ears ($5-10) for a while but I think it's time for an upgrade. Something well-built and good ranges. They're mainly for home computer and a bit of outdoor casual use.

I'm on a budget and I've looked around a bit. So far the Sony-MDR-XB300 (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sony-MDR-XB30...item5890998c81) seems to stand out, though the emphasis on excessive bass scares me a bit. I'd appreciate some input from somebody who's tried them out.

I've also looked at the MEElectronics HT-21 (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MEElectronics...item20be48bdf8) but they seem a bit fragile, as well as reviews saying they sound weak? I have heard good things about MEElectronics, though.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advanced.

Edit: I also live in Canada so that might cause some restrictions.

Last edited by EarsMan; 11-06-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Try the AKG K518 DJ. They might be a little bit above your budget, depending on the color (still <60USD), but they are worth it:

Strong bass, but not excessive. Very portable, as they are foldable, and every mp3-player should be able to power them. Great isolation, too.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkys.Brain View Post
Try the AKG K518 DJ. They might be a little bit above your budget, depending on the color (still <60USD), but they are worth it:

Strong bass, but not excessive. Very portable, as they are foldable, and every mp3-player should be able to power them. Great isolation, too.
Wow, they look pretty good! Unfortunately they seem to be marked around ~$70-~$115CAD with Canada-friendly sellers. Any other suggestions? Or maybe where I can get them around that price in Canada?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarsMan View Post
I've been using cheap over ears ($5-10) for a while but I think it's time for an upgrade. Something well-built and good ranges. They're mainly for home computer and a bit of outdoor casual use.

I'm on a budget and I've looked around a bit. So far the Sony-MDR-XB300 (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sony-MDR-XB30...item5890998c81) seems to stand out, though the emphasis on excessive bass scares me a bit. I'd appreciate some input from somebody who's tried them out.

I've also looked at the MEElectronics HT-21 (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MEElectronics...item20be48bdf8) but they seem a bit fragile, as well as reviews saying they sound weak? I have heard good things about MEElectronics, though.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advanced.

Edit: I also live in Canada so that might cause some restrictions.
Stay away from xb300. The xb500s are alot better. You should be able to find a pair (maybe used) for about $50 or less on amazon or ebay. Hell I'm selling mine for $45 shipped U.S.

Also, the Klipsch Image One is pretty good. They are worth $150. Try to find one on amazon for around $50. They can be used with cell phones bc of mic.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
Stay away from xb300. The xb500s are alot better. You should be able to find a pair (maybe used) for about $50 or less on amazon or ebay. Hell I'm selling mine for $45 shipped U.S.

Also, the Klipsch Image One is pretty good. They are worth $150. Try to find one on amazon for around $50. They can be used with cell phones bc of mic.
XB500s are in the ~$70 range and that's a bit too pricey for my liking. The lowest I've found on the Klipsh is ~$80. What about the Meelectronics HT-21s? I've also heard some things about Sennheiser HD 203s or something of the sort.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well the Sennheiser HD202 are nice enough, can be found under $50 in most countries. A good beater set of over the ear headphones, have had a few pairs on trips, before I got my Sennheiser HD 25 SP's. Lots of relatives have bought these as well due to their pretty decent price.

Something else to consider is the Creative Aurvana Live! they are a good sounding set that are a lot of times compared to headphones much higher in price, but that might mean they cut a lot of costs on build quality, not much experience with these personally and I haven't read all that much about them from user experiences. Even with all the praise they seem to get, very few people actually end up buying them. I guess its the label and I wouldn't expect them to be as resilient as the HD202 but still they seem decent and who knows if you take good care of your gear they might last as long as any other set since its usually the cable or something replaceable that fails first

If you want full sized headphones, ones that you'll only want to use at home, then theres the JVC HARX 900 or then the HARX 700 if its more in your budget. Fairly neutral sounding headphones, but in my oppinion that works well with electronic music, even dubstep sounds better on these then on a set of overly bassy headphones.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Well the Sennheiser HD202 are nice enough, can be found under $50 in most countries. A good beater set of over the ear headphones, have had a few pairs on trips, before I got my Sennheiser HD 25 SP's. Lots of relatives have bought these as well due to their pretty decent price.

Something else to consider is the Creative Aurvana Live! they are a good sounding set that are a lot of times compared to headphones much higher in price, but that might mean they cut a lot of costs on build quality, not much experience with these personally and I haven't read all that much about them from user experiences. Even with all the praise they seem to get, very few people actually end up buying them. I guess its the label and I wouldn't expect them to be as resilient as the HD202 but still they seem decent and who knows if you take good care of your gear they might last as long as any other set since its usually the cable or something replaceable that fails first

If you want full sized headphones, ones that you'll only want to use at home, then theres the JVC HARX 900 or then the HARX 700 if its more in your budget. Fairly neutral sounding headphones, but in my oppinion that works well with electronic music, even dubstep sounds better on these then on a set of overly bassy headphones.
Both JVC headphones seem to be in the 70+ above range so that's kind of out of the question. However, a friend of mine has Sennheiser HD 202s and I tried them out today. They sound a hundred times better than the ones I use right now. I don't have much experience with quality headphones though. How do the Meelectronics HT-21 compare, if anybody has any experience with those?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
XB500s are in the ~$70 range and that's a bit too pricey for my liking. The lowest I've found on the Klipsh is ~$80. What about the Meelectronics HT-21s? I've also heard some things about Sennheiser HD 203s or something of the sort.
Oh boy. You didn't read my post correctly and thoroughly.

I said the xb500s were $50 at amazon or ebay. Look here: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500...0723227&sr=8-1
I also said I would sell you mine.

You right about the image one's though. Lucky me, I found a pair not too long ago for $50.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The ATH-M30 at around $40 looks interesting. I haven't heard it yet though. It has been compared to the Sony V6, which is around $65 on Amazon. The ATH-M30 is less efficient than the V6 though, so it might not be that great for use with a low powered portable.

Cheap headphones differ greatly. For around $10-15, the JVC Flats HAS160 sounds quite good.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try these: Sennheiser HD448 For $56.81 on Amazon.com. I think you really can't go wrong. Not for that price and SQ.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 11-08-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I really liked the hd428s so if those are anything like them I say go for it.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Try these: Sennheiser HD448 For $56.81 on Amazon.com. I think you really can't go wrong. not for that price and SQ.
I saw that deal when you posted it, and wished I could get them.....unfortunately, other expenses have arisen recently.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I said the xb500s were $50 at amazon or ebay. Look here: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500...0723227&sr=8-1
As a rule, amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada. And eBay sellers charge more for shipping to Canada. I saw some XB500s on ebay.ca that were $60-65 shipped. Probably have to pay 13% or more when they cross the border.

Steve

Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OOPS!!! I missed the "in Canada" part,...my bad!!!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Both JVC headphones seem to be in the 70+ above range so that's kind of out of the question. However, a friend of mine has Sennheiser HD 202s and I tried them out today. They sound a hundred times better than the ones I use right now. I don't have much experience with quality headphones though. How do the Meelectronics HT-21 compare, if anybody has any experience with those?
Well thats good news, worst thing about headphones is that your mostly taking a shot in the dark even with all the reviews. If you can find them for a price your good with then I'd say go for them.

About the Meelectronics HT-21, never heard of them myself, but looking at them now and aren't they on ear design? As in they sit on top of your ears? If that's what your looking for then I misunderstood and there's some other options to go for like the Sennheiser HD228. They can be found for arround 50$ I'm sure and are portable and have a decent sound to them (Fairly bass driven, but its done right) as well as decent isolation for their size. Build quality isn't the most comforting element of theirs, but they are backed by Sennheisers 2 year warranty.

Personally not a big fan of the newer lower end Sennheisers, HD228's are an exception for their size and sound, but the HD428 and HD448 just sound meh to me and I am not a fan of the hard and cheap pleather pads they use on those models. I'd rather get the Sony XB300's because they are a pleasure to wear and to be honest they aren't that crazy with the bass, the XB500's on the other hand Oh and that reminds me:

Quote:
What was it about the XB300's you were warning about? I didn't realise it at first, but the XB300's are the smallest of the XB line, and what little I've tried them on they sound decent. Aren't the XB500 and 700 the ones that go crazy with the lower end? Although I have to admit those bigger XB's are freaking comfy.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Administrator

If you want a jaw dropping experience go to Amazon.ca. The Senn HD 448 are $140. The HD 228 are $100. Poking around in the online stores the prices I see are similar. It seems that crossing the Canadian border adds 20%-40%.

Besides what already mentioned here I see the Panasonic RP-HTX7 available in the OP's price range. I wouldn't want to pay $50 for them where I'm at but it falls in line with the higher pricing I see there. They've got that funky, retro look but are decent.

I see the HD 203 are available at the right price also. I liked the sound but wasn't fond of the semi-circumaural fit so I they got returned. If they had been either fully on or around the ears I would have kept them for a beater set. They certainly seemed sturdy enough to fill that role nicely.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The RP-HTX7 are decent sounding, but nothing to shout about. I'd opt for the Senn HD202's then,...they may feel cheap & a bit on the hot side, but they have (IMO) the better SQ. The HD203's were too bassy,...I owned all three BTW And, I have the Senn HD448's out for delivery in my area as I type - my last purchase for the next 6mos or so!!!

Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The RP-HTX7 are decent sounding, but nothing to shout about. I'd opt for the Senn HD202's then,...they may feel cheap & a bit on the hot side, but they have (IMO) the better SQ. The HD203's were too bassy,...I owned all three BTW And, I have the Senn HD448's out for delivery in my area as I type - my last purchase for the next 6mos or so!!!
*cough*BS*cough*
Thought you were going to get a ZO2 and give me the OG ZO!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just bought a used Subaru Outback Limited Sedan,...I ain't buying shit for at LEAST 6mos. I got the HP's as a last purchase item, since I need a napping set of cans.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I just bought a used Subaru Outback Limited Sedan,...I ain't buying shit for at LEAST 6mos. I got the HP's as a last purchase item, since I need a napping set of cans.
Good choice...great to drive in bad weather, and very safely built.