android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 11-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Help A Few Questions About Transferring Files To My Clip+, Also Rockbox

Hey guys, I just purchased a Sansa Clip+ which will be delivered tomorrow and have a few questions:

1: Am I able to copy my albums as folders to the player, or should I only copy the actual music files?

2: I've got my music tagged with Discnumber and the files named as "101 - trackname" or "201 - trackname", will the player display disc numbers correctly or should I do some formatting in MP3Tag beforehand?

3: I know about Rockbox but don't know what I'd gain from using it over the standard firmware, also would I be able to reinstall the official firmware after rockboxing (if I don't like it for example).

4: I found a SanDisk MicroSDHC 32GB Card on Amazon for 28, it seems to be class 2, will this be fast enough or should I be looking for a higher class card?

5: I've converted my music from FLAC > OGG q5, it sounds great on my PC and the filesize is miniscule, I heard that OGG > MP3 in terms of quality/sound ratio. What do you guys use?

Many thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to answer my very newbish questions

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1. You can copy folders. The Clip+ has folder view. You may like to use that.

2. In folder view, that should work well. In tag view, it depends what the tags say (which you haven't told us).

3. You should study up on Rockbox. You can delete Rockbox if you don't like it, or even go back to the OF while retaining Rockbox.

4. The Class 2 card will be SLOW when initially loading or when modifying the card contents. Not a problem when playing music thru the player.

5. I use mp3 in various formats. I have decided that my ears aren't good enough to appreciate FLAC, OGG, etc etc. Does the Clip+ handle OGG well?

6. MORE IMPORTANT than any of your questions. You should change the USB setting from Autodetect to MSC or MTP before adding any music to the player. If you will be looking at Rockbox, you should be choosing MSC.

Steve

Old 11-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the reply, my tags are immaculate... I'm one of those guys

It says it supports OGG and honestly for the quality and filesize I'd say it's well worth using, check out the filesize comparisons, these are all the same album converted from FLAC:

MP3 320: 84.3MB
MP3 V0: 69.2MB
MP3 V2: 50.3MB
OGG q5: 43.1MB

Apparently OGG q5 is as good as V0 MP3 quality-wise.

Regarding the USB thing, where do I change those settings? On the player itself or on my PC?

Cheers

Old 11-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One thing with the ogg files is the the battery will run out pretty quick if you don't use Rockbox....like probably in about 8 hours. Rockbox will extend that to probably 16 or 17 hours.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 PM

There's really that much of a difference? What makes Rockbox so much more efficient?

Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's something to do with the way the player decodes the files....the SanDisk firmware is most efficient with MP3, but Rockbox does much better than the SanDisk with .ogg and .flac files.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixion View Post
There's really that much of a difference? What makes Rockbox so much more efficient?
Lots of work on the decoders

Old 11-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It's just more efficient. You could take a look at the code if you wanted to know why.

Anyway, I actually want to address only a couple of things here:

3. If RockBox for the Clip is like other RockBox ports, it does NOT remove the original firmware. All you have to do if you want to go back is plug it into your computer and delete the .ROCKBOX folder in the root of your player. There's also a way to boot to the OF while RockBox is still on the player, for the e200 series, that is holding the left button as it starts up, may be the same for the Clip.

4. As Steve said, the card's speed will only matter in the writing of data. Marvin the Martian (a member here) tested the writing speeds of various cards in his Clip (can't remember + or Zip. Maybe both) and found that the fastest it writes is about 5.5 mb/s (again, I think), so anything higher than class 6 is really wasting money. If it wasn't Marv that did it, I apologize.

What I'm saying is: if you load it once and don't need to change a lot very often, go with class 2 or 4.

5. FWIW, I use mp3, if only because it's easiest to find and easiest to find players that support it. Did an ABX between mp3 V0,V1,V2,V3 and FLAC and couldn't tell the difference between any of them, but I've never tried OGG. I figured it'd be the same for me.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:12 PM

Aha I see, okay thanks alot guys. Looks like I'll be going the Rockbox route

At home I use FLAC only, I really wasn't happy with MP3 @ V2 but MP3 @ V0 is fine, OGG @ q5 seems to sound as good, if not better than MP3 @ V0, at least to my ears; but takes a hell of alot less space.

Being as I have everything in FLAC I can easily swap formats if OGG doesn't do it for me.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Regarding the USB thing, where do I change those settings? On the player itself or on my PC?
On the player.

Steve

Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM

I got the player today and I love it, I already had ~8GB of music waiting to go on it and after doing a firmware update I transfered it all across.

The quality is excellent, first of all I selected my area as Europe, I noticed that even with the volume at it's highest it wasn't quite high enough for me. I then switched to North America and wow, I can't turn this thing above half way!

I love the drag and drop feature too, as I don't use iTunes I'd hate to have to use that to sync my music.

I'm contemplating picking up an SD card, am I right in thinking that Rockbox supports 32GB cards whereas the OF only supports 16GB?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Congratulations on your new player.

The OF works with 32 GB microsdhc cards. However if you use relatively low bitrate files it's possible to run into the 8000 file limit. The OF database is only large enough to recognize approximately 8000 files. That will be affected by how deeply nested your file/folder system is. It's also my understanding that the type and complexity of your tags can have an effect on how many files the OF will recognize.

Rockbox isn't affected by that. You can increase the file limits to what you need in the settings. If you're planning on using .ogg files to increase your storage you'll want to look at using Rockbox. As has been mentioned already the hit on the battery life with Vorbis is ridiculous using the OF.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks skip, so it's worth getting a 32GB SD Card in any case.

I just purchased this case to protect it:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...&ob=Price&fb=1

It's cheaper on Amazon but delivery is slow with super saver delivery so I've bought it from Play.com instead.

Last edited by Phixion; 11-03-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Phixion...

did you change the USB setting after updating the firmware?

Steve

Old 11-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

I just purchased this case to protect it:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...&ob=Price&fb=1

It's cheaper on Amazon but delivery is slow with super saver delivery so I've bought it from Play.com instead.
That should be good. I only used a skin on my Clip+ when i had a microsd card in it, because it sticks out just a little bit. I always worried, perhaps needlessly so, about bumping the card and having it fly away (the spring is very powerful when releasing the card, be careful if you have occasion to remove it).

Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Phixion...

did you change the USB setting after updating the firmware?

Steve
Yes it's on MSC now...

One issue I noticed, my folders are tagged as so:

artist - year - album

When I go into folder view on the OF they display with a random 8 digit number before the rest of the info:

07030000_dj muggs vs. gza - 2005 - gr

Rather than

dj muggs vs. gza - 2005 - grand masters

Any ideas? All of my music and folders are tagged correctly.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How did you load them? I use MSC and drag&drop in Windows Explorer and have never had that happen.

However, lots of other people have reported it. I thought it was usually when using MTP.

EDIT: Thinking a bit more and looking at the player's contents, I don't use folders a lot on the Clip+ (currently none in the MUSIC folder in the internal memory). Our two Clips do have a number of folders (especially my wife's).

EDIT: Also I just switched my Clip+ to MTP, and dragged a folder over to the internal memory. The folder name was normal, so maybe MTP isn't the issue that I thought it was. I remember testing this some time ago after somebody's question, and was able to reproduce it. Not today though.

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 11-03-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Administrator

That type oddball prefixes indicates MTP transfer. You must have moved those over before you changed USB modes. The player will see them but they won't be visible in Windows Explorer now.

I've found it easiest to use the players format function to wipe everything and start over if you have backups. If you don't have backups drag everything off, make sure the USB mode is the one you want, then transfer the files again. MTP if you have licensed files or want to use a MTP enabled library manager, MSC if you just want to drag and drop the same as a USB drive.

Never autodefect. It will change without warning and your files seem to disappear.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Aha, yes I probably did it before changing modes! DOH!

I'll format it and copy em back over, in MSC mode.

I've also ordered a 32GB SanDisk MicroSDHC card

Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 PM

I attempted to install rockbox but got an error message telling me that the Original Firmware is unknown and to try with another version.

I'm currently using V01.02.16A of the official firmware.